How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-27-2002, 01:55 PM
SVXDriver

what are some signs of bearing failure?

I know that the SVX is prone to bearing failure. My question is pretty simple. How do you know when you have bearing failure? I know that I am supposed to hear something. Just recently I have been hearing some noise coming from the rear, but it only happens when I am decelerating and it only comes on during a certain speed range. I hope that I am just hearing things.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:19 PM
92_SVX_LSL

you will hear like really loud "road noise". That is what i thought it was the first time mine went out. But my friend told me that it was bearings going out. You will hear it too. Mine always go out on the drivers side first.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:36 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Differentials make a small amount of noise, normally imperceptible unless you really try to hear them. The noise you're explaining comes at decel and I'm guessing the range includes around 35 mph. That would be indicative of differential bearings.

This what I would do if it were mine (and you can take or leave this advice): drain and refill the differential soon. Drive it normally for a week or two and see if the noise gets louder. If it does it's time to have it looked into, if not continue driving. Of course, if the noise is quite distinct now I'd have it looked into soon, before more damage is occurs.

Beav
Old 03-22-2002, 08:36 AM
SVXDriver

Yeah I was planning to do a complete drivetrain flush for the car at 15K. I am almost there so I will be replacing the tranny fluid with Redline and the differential fluids with Redline gear oil. The I would be using Synthetic tranny fluid and for the gear oil I would be using 75W90.