Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2002, 08:54 PM
smokinsvx

awd problems----help

I just got the car and fwd fuse was in I removed it and drove it to see why the service dept had the fwd fuse in. I drove and it and you can definately feel the rear wheels kicking and wow. I noticed that under accellaration there was a notching or slipping feeling but the were definately kicking and kicking hard. I pulled it back in the garage put the fuse back. Is this a gear in the transfer case, clutch bands, or transmission. I don't feel its the trans because when in fwd mode no slipping just raw power the front wheels. please help me diagnose this problem.

Lance Delk
L_delk@cox.net
Old 03-04-2002, 09:46 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: awd problems----help

Quote:
Originally posted by smokinsvx
I just got the car and fwd fuse was in I removed it and drove it to see why the service dept had the fwd fuse in. I drove and it and you can definately feel the rear wheels kicking and wow. I noticed that under accellaration there was a notching or slipping feeling but the were definately kicking and kicking hard. I pulled it back in the garage put the fuse back. Is this a gear in the transfer case, clutch bands, or transmission. I don't feel its the trans because when in fwd mode no slipping just raw power the front wheels. please help me diagnose this problem.

Lance Delk
L_delk@cox.net
Lance, it's more than likely, your transfer clutches. Did the dealer sell you the car as "AWD?" If so, get yourself back in there before your Lemon Law runs out and have them make it good. The fact that the FWD fuse was inserted, definitely shows deceit.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-04-2002, 09:53 PM
Green1995SVX

Even though i cant offer much help, I would like to welcome you to the svx world network. Make sure you stop over to www.subarusvx.org and register your SVX in the registry .

-Mike
Old 03-04-2002, 09:53 PM
smokinsvx

lemon law

no lemon law here on used cars, only new. I got the car for a great price too other than that I am completely satisfied with it. I have always wanted a svx and now I have her. you think its the transfer clutches? whats that going to run a me and thanks for the quick response. I am a Ex car salesman and have found that these boards are very helpful, not just very extremely helpful. No substitute for experience. Need to get this fixed to go auto x ing. What would be the first suggested mod the car has 108k miles on it compression tests were great and no codes showed either. Everything works as it should, except the bumping sound under accell

Randy the notching or slipping was a bumping sound. the sound of a gear being missed. I can see how a slipping clutch and then re-engaging would make this sound. Is it the experience of the board that this what it is.

Last edited by smokinsvx; 03-04-2002 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: lemon law

Quote:
no lemon law here on used cars, only new. I got the car for a great price too other than that I am completely satisfied with it. I have always wanted a svx and now I have her. you think its the transfer clutches? whats that going to run a me and thanks for the quick response. I am a Ex car salesman and have found that these boards are very helpful, not just very extremely helpful. No substitute for experience. Need to get this fixed to go auto x ing. What would be the first suggested mod the car has 108k miles on it compression tests were great and no codes showed either. Everything works as it should, except the bumping sound under accell

Randy the notching or slipping was a bumping sound. the sound of a gear being missed. I can see how a slipping clutch and then re-engaging would make this sound. Is it the experience of the board that this what it is.
A couple of people you need to PM:

svxcommuter -- RE: the AWD thing

newsvx -- RE: Auto crossing.

They should be able to help you, respectively, with your issues, better than I.

Congratulations on your SVX, and I look foreward to seeing you around here.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-04-2002, 10:08 PM
sith

I seem to recall the transfer clutches will run between $600 and $800 to do, but I may be remembering incorrectly... my middle aged brain... (middle aged assuming I only live to be 40).

Welcome to the network!
Old 03-05-2002, 03:58 AM
Network Design Administrator

Shameless plug for the 10th Anniversay Meet, and any other meets coming soon to your area...
Old 03-05-2002, 01:06 PM
smokinsvx

meets

I don't think that there are many svx meets in my area
Old 03-12-2002, 05:17 PM
smokinsvx

Talking tranny

you know how you said to get them to fix the tranny. It goes in the shop to be fixed on monday for FREE!!!
Old 03-12-2002, 10:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: tranny

Quote:
you know how you said to get them to fix the tranny. It goes in the shop to be fixed on monday for FREE!!!
Way to go, buddy! >Aredubjay puts on a party hat and runs around the kitchen, blowing party favors and hooting and hollering in tribute to someone finally getting good tranny news<
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-12-2002, 11:25 PM
smokinsvx

for all the doubters

I have gone over my car with a fine toothed comb and the tranny problem is the only thing that I have so far. This car is too cool to drive and the looks. Like what the hell is that almost cause a wreck on the highway with some kids looking the car over and cutting through traffic in front moving to the back to see what it said on the back and then drove up beside the car and gave a big thumbs up. Don't get me wrong I have owned lots of cars, but this one is just so common (as sports cars go except the windows)and yet so rare. I actually sell prowlers and vipers on prowleronline.com and those cars get the looks. But people look at this car and try to figure out who makes it. lol

So all the doubters just think of that when you have doubts about your car.

ps i'm putting on nitrous as soon as it gets back from the tranny shop any recomendations and where to get and the nos system to get
Old 03-13-2002, 11:15 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: for all the doubters

Quote:
I have gone over my car with a fine toothed comb and the tranny problem is the only thing that I have so far. This car is too cool to drive and the looks. Like what the hell is that almost cause a wreck on the highway with some kids looking the car over and cutting through traffic in front moving to the back to see what it said on the back and then drove up beside the car and gave a big thumbs up. Don't get me wrong I have owned lots of cars, but this one is just so common (as sports cars go except the windows)and yet so rare. I actually sell prowlers and vipers on prowleronline.com and those cars get the looks. But people look at this car and try to figure out who makes it. lol

So all the doubters just think of that when you have doubts about your car.

ps i'm putting on nitrous as soon as it gets back from the tranny shop any recomendations and where to get and the nos system to get
One suggestion: If you're going SCCA Autocrossing, NOS will put you in mod class. There's no way you're going to do well in mod in an SVX. Leave it stock. You probably still won't win your class, but you won't be totally embarrassed.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-14-2002, 07:20 PM

rear end noise

If they say they can't fix it, try making three figure 8's at a speed of less than 15mph. I had a popping for 15k mi and finally inserted the fuse. I later found out that you have to make the 8's to reset the AWD duty solenoid. I did it and the noise went away.
Chris
Old 03-17-2002, 05:17 PM
ChrisB

Just to clarify: were the symptoms you had a chattering noise from the rear during accelerating and turning, especially at slow speeds?