How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

How low can you run the oil before the light comes on

Just trying to get the max amount of power out of the racer. I know that by lowering the oil in the pan you actually increase your power and also your weight is saved. Just wondering how low one can go before the light would come on. Never had a light on a subie come on but I'm quite anal about keeping my oil level between the H L marks and check it weekly. I'm thinking probably about 3.5 quarts would be enough so long as it is changed often enough. Anybody wanna admit to the neglect of having their light come on and let me know how low ya were. PM is fine if you don't wanna be blasted by some. I'm sure I will be over the post.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ben,
I was talking with Mychailo over a year ago about moding the oil pan to reduce "windage" and pressure loss during racing and his feedback and his response - after checking with his local Subie WRC guru - was that the stock pan has such a good design that no mods are really necessary. This all typed, it probably wouldn't hurt to only run 4 qts (the "LOW" mark on the dip stick is 5 qts).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
There is a windage tray (see the big thing in between the block halves here:http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ategory=004-A), and the pan is deep enough to keep the oil pickup covered when cornering hard. However there has to be enough oil in the engine to drain down to the pickup. There's going to be a lot of oil sitting just under the cam covers, for instance. When cornering hard ands low on oil it is still possible to have enough pressure to keep the light off but the oil can/will be severely aerated, which is probably just as bad as no oil.

I compliment you on trying to cover all the bases but, as I've said many times before, most people will be best served by saving their pennies and going to a bona-fide driving school. Not only will that put you light years ahead of the others on the track (yeah, I've got lotttts of experience with those guys) but you win more races and not abuse your equipment while doing so. Besides, it's great fun!
Old 05-14-2005, 05:06 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Your post really caught my attention. The oil light only comes on when the pressure is low. It is not a low oil level light. If I remember right the number is 2.1 psi. I think that racing an engine with 2.1 psi is a very quick way to wear out the engine. As Beav says all that entrained air is not good.

If I was to beat the snot out of my SVX again I owuld use Lucas oil and fuel additives. Both are made for racing to improve power, reliabilty and engine life.

The hotter the oil gets the less it lubricates as the viscosity drops. More oil in the pan gives it some time to cool off as the air passes the pan while driving. More oil in the pan has a longer retention time and the oil get cooler. The cooler oil goes to the bottom of the pan where the pump suction is. So the coooler oil goes to the pump. Less air also gets to the pump suction because the pan is deep. I think the excellent lubrication system is one reason why the SVX engine lasts a long time.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I compliment you on trying to cover all the bases but, as I've said many times before, most people will be best served by saving their pennies and going to a bona-fide driving school. Not only will that put you light years ahead of the others on the track (yeah, I've got lotttts of experience with those guys) but you win more races and not abuse your equipment while doing so. Besides, it's great fun!
Duely noted, I doubt I'll be at it but the other half of the racing team will be at a school next Saturday. I'd be there too but I'm on borrowed time as it is. My wife was due on Thursday. Just waiting for the ordeal to begin . Went to the school 2 years ago though and as the car gets the majority of what it needs done to make it legal for Solo 1 then I'll be going to those schools as money becomes available (blood for sale!!! Very rare type too!!!)

I definately wouldn't go down so far as to hurt the engine majorly, just down far enough so as to keep everything as low as possible. An oil cooler is in the plans in the near future as is 5w 30 mobil syn (best of the cheaper). Lower oil is a time tested method by most in solo racing and really doesn't affect most engines. I know all to well that a boxer engine is different though. Just trying to get an idea on how low I can go safely

As for Lucas products commuter, I'm not overly convinced. I've VERY sceptical of products that don't have indie lab results backing them up (Lucas, Purple Power, Redline, etc...). IMO they may be the bomb but I prefer time tested lab results to back it up not what the maker claims and since I don't have the money to invest in the lab work I rely on what I can find. There just isn't anything out there on these products that I've come across.

As for the light, it comes on that low huh for o.p.? I guess I'm not suprised as the trans temp light comes on just below the temp in which most tranny fluids will catch fire.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
My wife was due on Thursday. Just waiting for the ordeal to begin .
I hope you have your bags packed!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
I hope you have your bags packed!

. What bags??? How's you're little one doing? Driving yet?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
. What bags??? How's you're little one doing? Driving yet?
Doing great! I have to get a steering wheel for his carseat!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:31 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Ben,
My advise is to run at least 5 quarts in it (up to the Low Mark), as the g's experienced in auto-x, will slosh it all to one side and could cause the pick up to suck in air....which is a good way to end up with a block like Melis's ER27....not something I'd want....most race cars actually hold MORE oil than a street car, since they're so demanding on the engines....that's a pound or two I'd keep in the pan...hey that's about as low on the car as it gets anyway...

My thoughts....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"