Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 05:49 PM
fl_svx

New Wheel Bearing done today !!!

Well, after the original gnashing of teeth over trying to find ANY SHOP other than Subaru to replace my l/r wheel bearing, she went under the wrench this morning after our flight back from Arkinsaw. Don't you find it inconvenient when people die? Anyway, took her over to Sunset Subaru here in Sarasota. They were actually waiting for me, the shuttle driver was there with his Neon to give me a ride home. Dropped her off with the parts for the replacement and that was that. A few hours later, I received the call, she was out of recovery. Another shuttle driver came by and collected me and my wallet. Once I arrived, I was directed to the cashier. Sure enough, the actual price I was paying was what was quoted, $262.42 OTD. I was handed the keys and once again directed to my 'new' SVX. Apparently they road tested her, one can always tell. The mechanic came out and pronounced her fit, and then proceeded to tell me all about the 5 SVX's in Sarasota. He also started drooling cause the service manager told him what I paid for her. He was REALLY jealous, which is pretty good coming from a mature looking Subaru mechanic. My test drive out of the way, I could actually hear the gentle burble from the exhaust. I saved myself the cost of new speakers now. Damn, this is one fine car.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Glad to hear all is well once again. Make sure you keep that receipt in case they botched up the install and torqued something incorrectly.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:08 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Glad to hear all is well once again. Make sure you keep that receipt in case they botched up the install and torqued something incorrectly.
Ah yes, I wanted to supervise the work, being an ex-aircraft mech and engineer, but I did not want to be a mother hen. I keep everything, the pack rat that I am.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Apparently they road tested her, one can always tell. The mechanic came out and pronounced her fit.

The REAL road test comes about 5000 miles later.

"Hmmmm....is that the tires?" ,"Is that the other bearing?", "Is that the new bearing?" "Did he REALLY re-grease it?". "Hay-ill, better crank up the CD" .
Have fun.

Ron (been there, done that a few times).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:25 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
Apparently they road tested her, one can always tell. The mechanic came out and pronounced her fit.

The REAL road test comes about 5000 miles later.

"Hmmmm....is that the tires?" ,"Is that the other bearing?", "Is that the new bearing?" "Did he REALLY re-grease it?". "Hay-ill, better crank up the CD" .
Have fun.

Ron (been there, done that a few times).
Yup, I was stressing a bit too much over the re-greasing issue, but I figured that since it was a Subaru dealer, I should at least pretend like I trust them. Hey, it's all warranty anyway. Had it been anyone else, I would have stayed and watched them like a hawk. I almost packed it myself, but did not want to run the risk of voiding the warranty since the bearing was sealed in the plastic bag. As for the CD, that Kenwood really cranks, it helped my depression b4 I got her fixed.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 PM

Wb

<<Glad to hear all is well once again. Make sure you keep that receipt in case they botched up the install and torqued something incorrectly.>>

how are you going to know if they torqued something incorrectly? i would have asked the service manager if i could pack the bearings myself and let them instal them. that would have given me more piece of mind.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:55 AM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxpert
<<Glad to hear all is well once again. Make sure you keep that receipt in case they botched up the install and torqued something incorrectly.>>

how are you going to know if they torqued something incorrectly? i would have asked the service manager if i could pack the bearings myself and let them instal them. that would have given me more piece of mind.
Well, eventually you will find out, with dramatic fashion if the bolts and/or nuts are not torqued properly. If over torqued, you may not notice it until you try to break them again. Under torqing can result 'looseness' as the nuts/bolts back off. The end result can be nasty. For me knowing that torques are correct gives me a piece of mind. I know all too well from my aviation experience just how important it is. The worst offenders are the tire monkeys. I put a new set of tires on my BF wagon and later went to install new x-drilled rotors. In every case the lug nuts were over torqued. 3 studs were cross threaded and had to be replaced, one stud was so stretched from over torqing it had to be cut off. Normally I insist that they had torque every nut, but this time I was remiss. That won't even happen again. If they do not have a torque wrench, I have one with me when I know I am having work done. What kills me is the indifference these tire managers show. They will smile and take care of everything, but it seems to me that they are way too nonchallant about it. To me it should have never happened in the first place.