How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-29-2001, 12:42 PM
SVXtc

starting problems/MANY OTHERS--PLEASE HELP

About 4 months ago, I had a new headunit installed. I hadn't had any problems with it. About 3 weeks ago, I had my transmission rebuilt. Sometimes the car won't start. I bought a battery about 5 months ago so I don't think it could be that. My dad suggested that when the stereo was installed, it screwed up other things. Has anyone else had a problem like this after putting in a new stereo or having their transmission rebuilt? What other problems have people had after getting the car back after having the tranny rebuilt? I have a LOT of problems. You name it, I probably have it. I have all types of codes coming from the car. I'm taking it back to the tranny shop guy to have it looked at again. He thinks it might be a communications problem between the ecu and the tcu. I am so angry. I pay $2200 and it still shifts bad and every other problem imaginable. PLEASE HELP ME.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:11 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: starting problems/MANY OTHERS--PLEASE HELP

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtc
About 4 months ago, I had a new headunit installed. I hadn't had any problems with it. About 3 weeks ago, I had my transmission rebuilt. Sometimes the car won't start. I bought a battery about 5 months ago so I don't think it could be that. My dad suggested that when the stereo was installed, it screwed up other things. Has anyone else had a problem like this after putting in a new stereo or having their transmission rebuilt? What other problems have people had after getting the car back after having the tranny rebuilt? I have a LOT of problems. You name it, I probably have it. I have all types of codes coming from the car. I'm taking it back to the tranny shop guy to have it looked at again. He thinks it might be a communications problem between the ecu and the tcu. I am so angry. I pay $2200 and it still shifts bad and every other problem imaginable. PLEASE HELP ME.
I'm going to copy this to both Chris Debban's SVX message board as well as "Technical Questions" perhaps you'll get a little help there.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-29-2001, 09:21 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Trans Rebuild

I am suspect of the rebuild you had done - it appears much too cheap to have been done completely. I just had mine done and the cost was $3000. They replaced all the clutches, all the solenoids, the planetary gears, all gaskets and seals and more but I don't remember everything. I do know that the parts cost was in excess of $1500. I can't see someone replacing all that and only charging less than $700 in labor.

I hope the rebuilder has a good reputation for standing behind his work and that he gave a good warranty.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:15 AM
SpeedVX

Hey everyone im new to the site. I read this post and i had to share. I just installed a new head unit in my car too, but now i cant get my car to start although the new unit works great. Here's what happened.
A friend was helping me put in the new unit. we didnt disconnect the battery. during the work the dash lights flickered once. We soon realized we didnt know what wires went where in the new unit's harness so we packed up for the night and i decided to get on here and find a diagram. So i drive it home but everytime i pressed an interior light button, the dash lights went out...weird. ....anyway i get the wiring info and i start it the next day and the car begins shaking. I quick turn it off and try starting it again, but all it will do is turn over. I tried charging the battery....nothing, checked all the fuses and found the one i blew in the main fuse box in the engine and replaced it. Finished wiring the stereo and it works fine but the car still won't start. Its so close to starting....its like it just wont stay running, almost like its being starved of something.

-any ideas very much appreciated!!!-
Old 01-04-2002, 09:44 AM
SpeedVX

well i finally got it towed to the Suby dealer. But i have a car that's running fine now. It turns out according to them that i tryed starting it too many times before i found the blown fuse in the engine compartment. By the time i replaced it with a good one, i had messed up my spark plugs by having way too much fuel in the engine. They pulled them out and cleaned them and put them back in, didnt even need replacements aparantly, although if i had known i would have got better ones installed in their place. But im just happy to have that beautiful car running again. Hope this might help SVXtc who posted about the stereo install. the symptoms don't sound the same so i doubt the problems lie with the installation of the head unit. I didnt have any error codes, and i should have just replaced that fuse before i tryed starting it.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:20 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Exclamation Did they change the oil?

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedVX
By the time i replaced it with a good one, i had messed up my spark plugs by having way too much fuel in the engine. They pulled them out and cleaned them and put them back in, didnt even need replacements aparantly, although if i had known i would have got better ones installed in their place

If there was enough extra fuel to foul out the plugs,they probably should have changed the oil also. There could have been enough to seep past the rings into the crankcase. Which is not good. Do your engine a favor and change the oil.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:20 PM
SVXtc

o.k. Here's what I know for sure. Before the rebuild, the car started fine. After, the problem began. I was receiving transmission codes immediately after the rebuild. I took it up to the local parts store where they were doing a free battery and alternator check. Turns out the alternator was only working at low RPM's. i.e. alternator was going bad. As of right now the car is in the shop till the middle of January. I am having them rebuild the alternator to put out 140amps instead of the stock 90 due to the fact i am putting subs in my car. I talked with my tranny guy and told him about this before I gave him my car again. He said that if there is a problem with power to my car, the computers will say there is a problem and start spitting out codes even though there may not be anything wrong. As soon as I get the car back, I will be able to tell everyone if the problems were fixed, or if I need other things fixed. Looks like I answered my own question.

Last edited by SVXtc; 01-04-2002 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Uhhh....I get a lot of cars in the shop with bad alternators and I can't remember the last time any of them spit out a single code as a result.

Beav
Old 01-05-2002, 03:28 PM
SVXtc

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if fixing the alternator fixes these problems or not. You know how sensitive are cars can be.