How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-25-2001, 07:47 PM
bgs02

need info

I'm considering a 97 svx with around 35k mileage. have read a lot about the notorious tranny problems. does anyone know if the problems were eliminated in the later model years or if not if they are at least less frequent? I love the car but can't deal with expensive and/or frequent problems with tranny and/or bearings. please advise
Old 11-25-2001, 09:25 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: need info

Quote:
Originally posted by bgs02
I'm considering a 97 svx with around 35k mileage. have read a lot about the notorious tranny problems. does anyone know if the problems were eliminated in the later model years or if not if they are at least less frequent? I love the car but can't deal with expensive and/or frequent problems with tranny and/or bearings. please advise
I am not sure about the later cars but the trannies do die on the SVX around 50-90k miles. It depends on how hard the car was driven. The car is great but it does cost money to maintain the car. It's not like a civic where parts are lined up at the junk yard either. So If you are getting a SVX, I'd look into the history of the car from the owner -- records are important here!

Also call up 1800-subaru3 to check if there were any major repairs done on the car -- you will need the VIN number.

Good Luck

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-25-2001, 11:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: need info

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

I am not sure about the later cars but the trannies do die on the SVX around 50-90k miles. It depends on how hard the car was driven. The car is great but it does cost money to maintain the car. It's not like a civic where parts are lined up at the junk yard either. So If you are getting a SVX, I'd look into the history of the car from the owner -- records are important here!

Also call up 1800-subaru3 to check if there were any major repairs done on the car -- you will need the VIN number.

Good Luck

Lwin
I believe that the car (at 35K miles) has some warranty left (60K), so, you'll at least have a few months to work out any bugs.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-26-2001, 01:13 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Re: Re: need info

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I believe that the car (at 35K miles) has some warranty left (60K), so, you'll at least have a few months to work out any bugs.

I stand corrected...

Thanks for jumping in Randy
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-26-2001, 08:41 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: need info

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

I stand corrected...

Thanks for jumping in Randy
You know me, always willing to jump.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-26-2001, 10:33 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You might also consider an extended warranty policy. Normally I wouldn't recommend one but if you buy a good one it can save you a ton-o-bucks. The added benefit is that you'll keep the car in better shape, as you won't be afraid of repair bills.

I haven't used one personally (as a mechanic I haven't had much need for one... but when I step up to the plate for an SVX or any late model, high-end, used car, I will. Geez, the price of parts alone these days is frightening. The only benefit from NAFTA that I can see is that the quality of everything has gone to heck - but that's another story...

I checked into "Warrantybynet.com" last week and got a bid on a '95 w/37,000 miles. The price for full coverage ranged from $882 for 2 years/30,000miles to $1099 for 3/40 and $1725 for 4/50 coverage. These prices reflect a $100 deductible, a $50 deductible is also available. I'm not recommending this company in particular, I've never dealt with them. They may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, maybe not. I'm just tossing this out as a place to start your research, if you're interested. It just seems to me that if a new tranny is going to be $2500+ the coverage would be a no-brainer. Then add in the other items like an alarm module, some injectors, how about some oil leaks, an evaporator, etc...

Beav
Old 11-26-2001, 01:10 PM
0260N4

I gotta agree with Beav on this one. I just bought a 92 LS-L and got a 2 year/24k mile warranty with the car. It has a $100 deductibile and covers almost everything on the car. I fear no repair now which is good cuz I cant afford them anyway. Since mine had 72k when I bought it I figure this will get me to 100k and I can evaluate how its running then and maybe get a newer one. Warranty cost me $1200 since I bought it from the dealer I got the car from but I can use it at any certified mechanic and there arent any limits like there are on some other contracts (ie $50 hour and for labor paid max). Also covers lockouts and roadside assistance with no deductible. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

0260N4
Old 11-26-2001, 09:31 PM
george miller

97 SVX tranny

I just purchased my 2nd SVX, a 97 with 25k and I asked the same question of a subaru mechanic (I blew the tranny of my 92 at 87k). He suggested the original SVX transmission cooler/filter got clogged with debris over time and caused the transmission oil to overheat. The tranny was later redesigned to avoid this problem. I am still considering synthetic oil and an auxillary cooler.