Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-26-2004, 03:54 AM
MikeInd

Pass foglight...help

Hey, My Pass foglight is out.

I have purchased 2 diff bulbs-to make sure I did not get a bad one.

I checked the fuse.

I have looked at the wires-I don't see anything screwed up.

Drives side works fine.

Any ideas??
Old 03-26-2004, 04:15 AM
SVX Appeal

Bad ground. ...at least that's probably what it is. Mine did that a while ago. The grounding problem was where the bulb actually clips into the housing. Seemed unlikely, but sure enough that's where it was. I cleaned it and wiggled it a lot - that seemed to do the trick. It very well may be somewhere else in your case, but it's easy to diagnose.

Get a piece of wire or an alligator clip and attach one end to a ground source. If you're not sure what a good ground source is, just be safe and attach it to the negative terminal on the battery. Next, when the little bulb assembly is removed from the housing, there should be only one wire going to it. Of course, with only one wire, it will not light up - until you attach your wire or alligator clip to the bulb assembly. Don't let your wire or alligator clip touch the wire that already goes to the bulb. That'll blow the fuse and/or possibly burn you if the wire you're holding has too much resistance.

If attaching your impromptu ground wire to the little bulb assembly doesn't make the bulb light up, you have a bad hot wire. Start tracing it back to the fuse box, or get a volt-meter/test-light and test to make sure the fuse box is getting power.

If attaching the impromptu ground wire to the little bulb assembly does make the bulb light up, you have a bad ground. Clean any metal parts on the light housing.

Let me know if you have any questions or want clarification. (It's late and I may not be thinking clearly.) If it gets to the point where you need a wiring diagram, I'll see what I can dig up.