Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-14-2004, 09:53 AM

torque converter

I think I remember reading in an earlier post about a 'clip' that holds the torque converter to the 'input shaft'. As I remember, you 'must' remove this clip to 'properly' remove the t.c. from the trans. Am I right?
I SOMETIMES find our 'search' feature FRUSTRATING. I don't always come up w/the correct key words, so it becomes a crap shoot trying to be as smart as the search feature.
Anyone know the 'clip trick'?
Thanks, milehibri - Brian
Old 03-14-2004, 10:23 AM

I've had my transaxle in/out twice. I don't think the clip has any particular function on removal. Then again, I don't have the FSM, all I can go by is what I did.

It's purpose (as far as I can tell) is to secure the input shaft to the TC on installation.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:38 PM

Clip

I realize the 'clip' holds the t.c. 'on' the input shaft. I want to remove the t.c. so I can drain and refill, etc. I don't know how to remove the 'clip' so I can reinstall everything as it should be. Anybody? Help!
As always, thanks to everyone on here! What an incredibly valuable source of info AND entertainment!!!!
I will be anxious to see it come back to life in the near future!!?
Thanks, mile-hi-bri - Brian
Old 03-14-2004, 04:39 PM

Sorry, misunderstood the question.

It's been a long time since I saw the parts in question, but I seem to remember where input shaft hooks to the TC there are two square blocks that match up to two notches. On one side, at the notch, I think you can see a part of the clip and hopefully figure out a way to part the two.

Good luck, and sorry my memory isn't any better than it is. BTW, good luck draining the TC too, I don't remember any easy way of doing that, but then again I sent mine off to a rebuilder and so never had to figure it out.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:15 PM

infamous clip

THANK YOU!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
that clip merely hold the oil pump drive onto the tc, yu can pull it off the trans without using the clip, just reinstall and make sure you do not crunsh the oil pump when doing it. make sure the tc goes all the way back in, you can check this by looking at the teeth on the tc and maing sure they are alomost touching the tc case. that pump is not very strong and will not stand up to much abuse. you must make sure the oil pump notches line up with the pump drive shatf indents. its simple but be careful.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:14 PM

The clip

Also thanks!
What a great forum of info. Hope someday I can repay the many people that have been so willing to share!!
mile-hi-bri - Brian
Old 03-15-2004, 06:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
You need to make absolutely sure that the input and oil pump drive shafts are correctly seated before installing the TC. The inner shaft can slide out and it can be a real pain to get it back in the right place - it's like picking a lock.

If you don't have it seated right, the TC won't fit all the way on, and you won't be able to bolt up the tranny.

I had to lift my tranny up twice because of this mistake.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-15-2004, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
...snip....
If you don't have it seated right, the TC won't fit all the way on, and you won't be able to bolt up the tranny.

...snip...
I beg to differ. I didn't have mine seated correctly and I did get it to bolt up. When I started it up, to test my install, I of course ruined the pump and had to take it back apart, etc. All very embarrassing.

What I didn't know was that it goes in only so far, then you spin the TC and it will go in another 1/2" or so. To make sure you don't do something as dumb as I did...The key checkpoint is when the transaxle housing is bolted up to the engine, the flex-plate/torque converter should spin with nothing more than pressure from your finger tips at the inspection hole. If it doesn't don't take any more steps, but just pull it back out & check the fitment.

edit: correction/clarification: The TC should spin freely to line up with the flex-plate bolt holes (Duh - if the flex plate spun freely that would mean no engine compression - sorry).

Last edited by lee; 03-15-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Maniac modifier

i did the same thing and had to get a new pump also, very embarassing.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:49 AM

The clip

Thanks for all the info on the correct install of t.c. I have done that part before when I put the last tranny in. Yes, I am doing another tranny...
My question still remains. I thought I read a post about a clip that holds the t.c. on to the input shaft. It seems I remember there was a 'procedure' to remove this 'clip', so when the t.c. was installed back on the input shaft, (obviously ready to install the trans. assembly into place), you 'know' the t.c. is 'on' correctly, or this 'clip' won't go back in place. I do remember that the original tranny's t.c. would NOT just slide of the input shaft after I took it out of the car.
Am I crazy or what (don't go there!!)?
Maybe I misunderstood the post and or the 'clip'!
Thanks, mile-hi-bri - Brian
Old 03-16-2004, 01:27 AM

The clip

Aha!!
In the FSM, on page #149, right side, half way down the page, #12) - (1), in bold, the phrase "Make sure the clip fits securely in it's groove".
I didn't see anything under removal/disassembly section about this 'clip'!
So I DO know there is a clip!
I am guessing it is part #8 on page 99 of FSM. How do I get to it to remove it? Do I just remove the t.c. AND the 'oil pump shaft' (part #10), when I pull the t.c. out of the trans assembly?
Sorry to be such a pain. Just frustrated w/something sooo simple, yet important!!??
Thanks, as usual, mile-hi-bri - Brian
Old 03-16-2004, 06:09 AM

OK, maybe the light is finally coming on for me (but the bulb is still pretty dim).

The only clip is the clip that attaches the torque converter to the hollow extension shaft used to drive the pump. Sorry if I've confused terms with you, but I don't have the FSM to reference your pics. See item # 13 here: http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=156-A

In terms of removal, just pull the TC.

If the hollow shaft comes with it, then the clip is likely still in place. You should see evidence of the clip if you look at the notches where the TC and shaft join.

If the shaft remained, you'll have to reach in and pull it out somehow - it's not hard but I don't remember how, mine wasn't connected and I don't remember any issues. Then you do need to find that clip and make sure it's not stuck in someplace to "gum" up the works.

Did I get any closer, or was I just foolin' myself thinking the bulb was starting to glow a bit?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Maniac modifier

hes right just pull it on out