How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-25-2004, 08:31 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Tires- anyone tried Nexen? N200 VR rated

Does anyone have any experience with Nexen tires? I am looking at the Nexen N2000 VR rated 225/55-16.

It is a bit of a no name, but price is a big issue. I am not looking for a great road tire, but rather a very sticky low cost tire great for autocrossing for our homeschool racer. Noise is a non-issue. Maximum traction and cornering abilty is all I need, at the lowest budget price possible.

I'm also looking at the Azenis Sport, the Goodyear Eagle F1, the Pirelli Pzero Nero, the Kumho Ecsta V700, Toyo R1, etc.

Unfortunately, budget will decide this.

Thanks for your input.

-P^ul
Old 02-26-2004, 12:05 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
well of the name brands listed the azenis is the best out there, bar none

don't know about nexen though
Old 02-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Nitro94

Hi there, I had a set of Nexens on my SVX this past summer. Bought them because I got them for $60 / tire (mounting and balancing was done by yours truely) The tires were not that good. I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, on dry road, I'd give them a 6 or 7 (they like to slide around a lot when cornering) and then on wet road, I'd give them a -3. Yes, that is right, a negative 3. They were downright dangerous in the rain/snow. If I put my foot into it in the rain I could pull some pretty impressive all wheel drive donuts. I will not buy these again. But, for a cheap set of tires to use on the track....I would say if you are just going to have fun in it, yeah it's fine, but if you want to do some real auto-x then stay away from these. Hope this is of some help.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:18 AM

That's exactly what I needed. Thanx Guys.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:11 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Falken's!!!!!! Get em!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-26-2004, 02:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Paul, if you're looking for an inexpensive tire for your Challenge car, I recommend you tkae a look at the Sumitomo HTR200. Those may be my race tires for this season, if I don't spring for Kumhos. The HTR200 seems to be rated well enough by customers (although it seems that they need to be broken in well) and I've had a few personal recommendations from people in the know (tire rack, racers, etc).

The HTR200 is cheap as ****. I haven't looked at prices for SVX sizes, but for my Justy they'd run $40 each.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-26-2004, 04:57 PM

It appears that they don't do the HTR200 in a 16" tire, but you're right, they are quite reasonable.

I found a really good price on the Azenis and they'll pay shipping, so the total difference for the set of 4 is only $36 over the Sumitomo's. We'll have to run a slightly weird size, but I don't think I can resist the grip. We need to use the stock wheels for budget purposes, so we'll have to go to a 215/45-16. Slightly narrower, slightly smaller in dia. Should give us a little better acceleration without compromising too much on the tread patch.

Thanks for your help.

-Paul