How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-16-2004, 03:10 PM
overdalimit

Sensor Confusion

O.k I am having a serious problem here. There's two (2) sensors under the alternator. Standing in the front of the car one is on the left closest to the power steering pump and the other is on the right of the other sensor which is right behind the 30 degree mark on the timing belt cover. Now which one is the crank sensor? According to the diagram on Subaru-Parts.com the one closest to the power steering pump is the crank and the one on the right is the cam sensor. But if you look at the part number the cam sensor is on the right side of the engine on the timing cover. My question is......Does the svx have 2 crank sensors.... Can anyone identify the two that are on the top of the engine for me? My car starts with both of the sensors plugged in but will not rev unless I pull the plug on the one directly behind the 30 degree mark, but will not start if I don't plug in the one directly behind the 30 degree mark. I figuring that the sensor on the right is bad. Can anyone help with this question and also where can I find the correct part numbers to order these sensors.
...PLease hurry....My cars been down almost 3 weeks.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Crank angle sensors.

As if one is not enought, this engine uses three. There are two on the crank and one on the left hand cam gear.

The two on the crank give two different pulses. The one at the 30 deg point is crank sensor 1, this one pulses every 30 deg of crank movement. Crank sensor 2 is straight above the crank and gives a cylinder count down sequence, 3-2-1 per rotation. The cam sensor on the cam gear tells the ECU which of the 3-2-1 pulses of sensor 2 is on top dead center.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:34 PM
overdalimit

Thanks.....So why does the diagram on Subaruparts.com list one of them as the cam sensor? It does list the cam sensor thats on the side of the engine. But I need to order the crank sensor but I need to make sure that the part number is correct. Check the diagram if you could and tell me what you think......It looks as though one of the crank sensors and the cam sensor is the same part number.....Please decipher...Would you happen to know where I can get them from other than www.subaruparts.com.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Crank sensors.

Yes it looks like the cam and crank sensor 1. may be the same part. Does have the same part no.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:06 PM
overdalimit

Thanks Harvey....I appreciate it!