Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2001, 11:22 AM
oneothefewproud

Wayne, are you SURE your rack is leaking

The rack does leak. I have seen it when it was up on the rack. The oil change place told me that also. It is NOT engine oil.

It is also a very light weight oil. The only other leak she had was the value covers. and those were replaced by the former owner right before I took custody of her.

The wife is getting ready to call the donation place and have them pick her up. I hate to see her go like that but the dealer only wanted to give me $2k for her.

By this weekend if noone wishes to give her a good home off she will go.

Thanx
Wayne
Old 10-24-2001, 11:42 AM
fongangus

Ok. If I assume that it's a leaky gasket, how much would that cost? I believe replacing a new gasket would just about less than $100. What about the white smoke only occur as first start and warming up? I used to own a 94 MR2 which also has white smoke coming out. But I ignore it and never have problem on that(at least untill I sold it).

If the coolant leak cause the overheat. Then why it does not overheat all the way to the top? But instaed going up the 3/4 to 1/2??(The overheat especially happen on the local traffic driving)
Old 10-24-2001, 09:24 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Or, better yet, offer $900.00, plus say you'll tow the heap away FREE, & then sell the good parts to club members. With the profits you'll be able buy a decent SVX. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:14 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Wayne, are you SURE your rack is leaking

The reason I ask is that the rack is $$$, but the hoses around it are much less $$$.

I have a PS leak as well, but there have been more cases of pressure hoses leaking than the rack itself failing. If the rack ain't broken, you've got a car that has very little to repair, and possibly not worth selling to you...

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by oneothefewproud
The rack does leak. I have seen it when it was up on the rack. The oil change place told me that also. It is NOT engine oil.

It is also a very light weight oil. The only other leak she had was the value covers. and those were replaced by the former owner right before I took custody of her.

The wife is getting ready to call the donation place and have them pick her up. I hate to see her go like that but the dealer only wanted to give me $2k for her.

By this weekend if noone wishes to give her a good home off she will go.

Thanx
Wayne
Old 10-24-2001, 11:20 PM
The Road Less Traveled

If you have exhaust gas going into the coolant system, air/gases would have a higher temperature than the liquid.

When I had a leak in my radiator (at the top of the plastic tank, as many have experienced), the temp gauge would jump around.

In the case of a new head gasket, it won't be $100. Might want to try adding a zero to the end... A lot of labour to tear the engine down to replace the head gasket....

Do a search on the message archive. Someone over at Yahooligans a year back had their head gasket done, and because most of the labour was done already, he tagged on the timing belts and the water pump, and if I remember correctly he ended up paying about $1500.

That car has red flags all over it...

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by fongangus
Ok. If I assume that it's a leaky gasket, how much would that cost? I believe replacing a new gasket would just about less than $100. What about the white smoke only occur as first start and warming up? I used to own a 94 MR2 which also has white smoke coming out. But I ignore it and never have problem on that(at least untill I sold it).

If the coolant leak cause the overheat. Then why it does not overheat all the way to the top? But instaed going up the 3/4 to 1/2??(The overheat especially happen on the local traffic driving)