SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-16-2001, 11:19 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Question Torque Converter Lock-Up?

Hi Gang,

I need some help.
The service manual says the Torque Converter locks-up in 4th, 3rd and 2nd speeds.

I have never seen my car lock-up in 3rd or 2nd.

Does anyone know if their car has the TC lock-up in 3rd or 2nd?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2001, 06:36 PM

In Drive the torque converter locks up after the tranny gets to say 145F. It is very noticable as the engine RPM drop down when it is locked. At 60 MPH the engine turns 2000 rpm. Back off the throttle a little and the rpm's do not drop.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:21 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Mine has never locked up in any gear but 4th, neither has my wife's
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-20-2001, 05:32 PM

Thank you for that fact. At least now I know the service manual is wrong on this point.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Thank you for that fact. At least now I know the service manual is wrong on this point.
Whoah, wait a minute, dood. No disrespect to immortal_suby, but what makes you think he's right and the *service manual* isn't? And which service manual are we talking about? Don't assume that someone on here, especially me, is just automatically right because they typed something. 'I saw it on TV so it must be true (or fact)' applies to the Internet especially well.

I am all but certain my torque converter, once the car is warm, will lock up in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. All BUT certain. I'll try to determine that tonight.

I would assume an easy way to tell would be to get the car nice and warm, put it in manual mode, and then shift it to second. Accelerate until you get the engine in the 2k-3k range. See if it locks. I have no idea what the outcome will be, but it sure as hell can't hurt, I imagine.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-22-2001, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Whoah, wait a minute, dood. No disrespect to immortal_suby, but what makes you think he's right and the *service manual* isn't? And which service manual are we talking about?
I am more than thankful for your interest in this subject. The 1992 SVX service manual from Subaru. I am glad this caught your attention. Manual mode is not supposed to be required for Lock-up in 2nd or 3rd.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:31 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:

I am more than thankful for your interest in this subject. The 1992 SVX service manual from Subaru. I am glad this caught your attention. Manual mode is not supposed to be required for Lock-up in 2nd or 3rd.
I didn't say manual mode was required - I just figured it'd be an easy way to check to see if the TC locked up in a given gear since you can hold it at 2nd or 3rd.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-22-2001, 03:46 PM

Thank you,
The manual has schematics drawings of the transmssion and that is were lock-up is shown for 4,3,2 but not for manual mode. Did you try it?
Old 10-22-2001, 04:50 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Good point mr pockets, I have actually asked here before if it was supposed to lock up because I thought maybe mine was not locking up due to the resistor mod but I have not done that mod on my wife's car and hers will not lock up in anything but 4th gear either. Eddycat had a long going battle on yahoo a while back that torque converter lockup WAS 4th gear - that there was no actual 4th gear at all, just 3rd with TC lockup. I stopped going to yahoo for a while after that one. I still do not know if he is right (he is a master tech, right?) because I swear I can feel (and see on the tach) a definite 3rd, 4th, and then TC lockup.

Here are a couple old posts on the subject.

""Post 56468
Posted by eddycat2000 on 4/8/01 at 3:26 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<Is that about right?>>

Sigh, no, there is no overdrive lockout switch on any Subaru made. And TC lockup is 4th gear.

Obviously I can't get my point across here. I'm done with this thread. Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

I'll continue to read it if for no other reason than to find out where you are getting your information from. You have totally and completely confused me, and that's pretty hard to do.

You have 1-2-3-D on your shifter right? Well "D" on the highway after the tranny warms up properly is overdrive. This is acheived by locking up the TC. Last chance....can you see what I am saying? """"

""""Re: Overdrive switch for 92
Post 56515
Posted by svxistentialist on 4/8/01 at 8:53 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi SVX 1999. Without confusing the thread any further, can I add a few points?
The transmission has 4 different ratios, which most people refer to as gears. In the lower ratios, the transmission normally allows a certain amount of slippage, so the engine revs may rise while the road speed stays the same or climbs slowly. In the 4th ratio or D, the same slippage can happen, but to save fuel modern boxes allow the torque convertor to lock up directly with the engine output, so the revs will be locked to the roadspeed very like a manual box.
This I think, is what you are referring to as Overdrive. I was under the impression that TC lockup was achievable in 3rd and 4th gear in this car, but if Eddycat says not, I will accept it, my tranny is currently malfunctioning, I have no way of checking.
The term "Overdrive" refers to a driven ratio that is less than 1.00. Third gear on our cars is exactly 1.00, but 4th is something like 0.69 to 1, seriously overdriven, if you could achieve max revs in 4th you would be doing 180-190!!!
An overdrive electric switch in a Triumph would activate a solenoid which switched in another ratio in the final drive at the back axle, and would have been referred to as the "Overdrive switch", as it usually achieved overdrive in top gear.

My car as a Japanese spec model has both of the switches you describe. On the shift lever, the lower button activates the MANUAL mode. This is for driving in slippery conditions, locks out kickdown to first gear, holds 2 if driving in 2, starts in 2 and shifts quickly to 3 if driving in 3.
There is also a POWER button to do just what you are looking for. It is where you have a blank aperture just below 1st gear on the console, see OM-4860 in the owner's manual. When this is switched in, the car is locked in POWER mode, that is, the box is dropped out of NORMAL and holds the POWER mode shift map in the TCU. The TCU will then hold on to the lower gears for longer without shifting up, and of course in top, will not go into TC lockup, which is an economy device, and not any use for power overtaking.
This does not, as some think, extract another 40 hp from the engine in any way. However, as it does give access to the rev range where peak horsepower lies, you are getting the use of about that much horsepower which the box normally denies you, unless you floor the accelerator and the POWER light comes on. Sounds, and is, great, but the downside is poorer economy, and also greater strain on the box, so if your cooling is not perfect, shorter life for the tranny.
You can put in this switch in your car, the detail is in the T, McLane FAQ listed as Forced POWER mode.
You should be able to buy the switch for your console, try Japan Direct Import Service at www.mediawars.ne.jp. It connects to the TCU behind the dashboard, but get a professional autoelectrician to wire it in.
Joe """
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-22-2001, 05:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thank you,
The manual has schematics drawings of the transmssion and that is were lock-up is shown for 4,3,2 but not for manual mode. Did you try it?
I'll try it tonight on my way home from work and let you know tomorrow.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-23-2001, 05:28 AM

Well, I did not know I was treading on old thread ground. The SVX transmission is a 4 speed with a lock-up in forth gear. Crysler would call it a five speed. Subaru could have used that to market the car.

Hey! We all got five speed automatic transmissions!

The service manual very clearly shows a schematic for "D", forth speed and then another for "D" with lock-up. It also shows the other speeds and lock-up's.
Old 10-23-2001, 07:34 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Well, I did not know I was treading on old thread ground. The SVX transmission is a 4 speed with a lock-up in forth gear. Crysler would call it a five speed. Subaru could have used that to market the car.

Hey! We all got five speed automatic transmissions!

The service manual very clearly shows a schematic for "D", forth speed and then another for "D" with lock-up. It also shows the other speeds and lock-up's.
Well, last night I tried to get the torque converter to lock up in 2nd and it would not. I suppose I could have gone to a smoother road to try 3rd...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE