How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-03-2003, 10:04 AM
mark10t

I'm a Sinner!

I hadn't checked in here in a while (still been 'way' busy with the new house, but it's just about done-done), but I thought I'd better get the error codes for my sputtering SVX. It doesn't like to be started 'cold'... I'll report back later.

In the meantime.........

Forgive me brethren, for I have sinned!.......

My wife deserved some new wheels. Her '95 Outback has accumulated over 160,000 miles and she's probably due for a 'change of scenery'. The car still runs great (our daughter-in-law has 'inherited' it), but she wanted something new- an S-U-V - UgHH!! (big, boring, and very un-sporty). I was hoping she might be interested in a 3.0 Outback; she was originally quite thrilled with the prospects of an STX (the Baja), but Subaru kind of screwed that up taking out the supercharged engine and the fold-down rear wall. (All it's got is this little pass-through hole for long stuff- I can do better than that with my SVX!)

We looked at a bunch of vehicles including Kia Sorento and Jeep Liberty and happened to stumble into something relatively new at the Mpls. Auto Show. We ended up getting her a Land Rover Freelander. Surprisingly, you can get a Freelander for just under $25,000. The Freelander design was overseen by their BMW ownership, so this Land Rover knows how to take a corner (Autobahn bred.). At least I'm happy that she decided on something that is in the same 'spirit' as a Subaru and not some big, heavy box on wheels. After about 8 Subaru's since 1981 she 'jumps ship'.

Thanks for having me; we'll chat again soon.

-Mark
Old 07-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I'm a sinner

Hope the Freelander works out for her. Everything I know about them isn't good but then again there's always a gem among the rocks right?

The Baja could never be sold with an open rear for safety reasons as it is a unit body structure. Can you image the pillars that would be needed to strenthen the rear. Now there is a turbo model coming out this year for about $25k as well.

As long as she's happy and uses it for its abilities that's all that matters right!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:45 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Congrats on the new car.

Make friends with your service manager, you will need him. My friend is the after-sales manager for the local franchise. He has worked with many different manufacturers over the years, but he says that there are more problems with the Freelander than anything he has ever worked with. The only thing that comes close is the Range Rover!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 07-03-2003, 09:26 PM
mark10t

She's driving the pi$$ out of that thing- i.e., driving about 80 routinely on our interstate connection (like I do with the SVX). The Outback (2.2) would do it, but you had to push it a little harder.

I understand the feedback from our UK friend. It seems the Freelander has been 'over there' a while longer, so circumstance might be similar to our SVX '92's (no offense intended) with a few more problems compared to later years. A lot of the European models were equipped with 4 cyl. engines too which would have to work a little harder than the V6 we've got.

Time will tell......

There are things I really like about it and other things I don't care for. We'll see....

-Mark
Old 07-04-2003, 04:28 AM
Hater

i've read that the expected yearly maintenance/repairs on the Freelander can get into the $thousands! they get you back on the low sticker price! hope yours is trouble-free, though.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)