How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-18-2002, 07:02 AM
henryb

Question Changing Timing Belt

It seems that my water pump has seized on my '92 SVX. Fortunately we caught it before it did any further damage. I would like to take this opportunity to change the Timing Belt. Does anyone have a written procedure to do this job?

If so, please let me know, much appreciated.
Brent
Old 11-18-2002, 10:50 AM
gcookaustin

go to ryanmacdonald.com
Old 11-18-2002, 06:57 PM
henryb

Thank you very much for the link to Ryan's page on "How To's". It was very detailed and great photo's. I have begun to work on this project tonight and will provide updates once it is complete.

Brent.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:04 AM
henryb

Has anyone done this job without removing the radiator? From Ryan's web-page procedure... he does not mention the removal of the rad. However, it appears that it would make the job alot easier (more room) and less chance of damaging a very expensive rad.

Any thoughts?
Brent.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:37 AM
ALsvx

Brent,

Some do, some don't.... It is a tight job if you don't! I took mine out when I changed the belt and it was still a tight job for one person (seems like you need three hands to hold the belt when you release the tensioner).

What I did was use some small C-clamps to hold the belt on the "marks" after I got it lined up...

Also, since the transmission lines were disconnected, I put a tranny cooler in at the same time.

Good Luck,

Bill
Old 11-21-2002, 05:08 PM
henryb

Question about the Timing Belt Sprocket marks. When I took the belt off -- and I took it off very carefully! One of the cam sprocket's marks was lined up with the mark on the back of the cover. However, the other cam sprocket was 8 teeth off of the mark on the cover??? Almost 90 degrees off??? The crank sprocket was also bang on the mark as well.

How could this be so? Is it possible that the belt (which was still in very good condition) jumped 8 teeth???

I have owned 2 SVX's and I know the engine was running perfectly. I don't see how it could run at all with one sprocket off by that much!

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Brent.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:28 PM
Boone

Hmmm...Here is a diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cambelt.jpg (50.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 11-21-2002, 07:13 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by henryb
Question about the Timing Belt Sprocket marks. When I took the belt off -- and I took it off very carefully! One of the cam sprocket's marks was lined up with the mark on the back of the cover. However, the other cam sprocket was 8 teeth off of the mark on the cover??? Almost 90 degrees off??? The crank sprocket was also bang on the mark as well.

How could this be so? Is it possible that the belt (which was still in very good condition) jumped 8 teeth???

I have owned 2 SVX's and I know the engine was running perfectly. I don't see how it could run at all with one sprocket off by that much!

Brent.
The cams are under pressure from the valve springs, and as such it may have turned a bit when you released the tensioner. Or it could have slipped when you were wrestling the crank bolt loose. It's a fairly common occurence when changing t-belts and no damage will occur on the SVX when it happens, as it is a non-interference engine.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by henryb

Brent.
The cams are under pressure from the valve springs, and as such it may have turned a bit when you released the tensioner. Or it could have slipped when you were wrestling the crank bolt loose. Sometimes a person will turn the crank backwards. With an older, stretched belt that will be enough to cause it to jump a few teeth. It's a fairly common occurence when changing t-belts and no damage will occur on the SVX when it happens, as it is a non-interference engine.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:45 AM
henryb

Thumbs up

Thanks for the valuable responses on the Timing Sprocket Marks. And that great diagram... what source did you find that from?

It makes sense that the cams could have moved the sprockets when I released the tensioner!

Thanks again!

Now if the dealer would have ordered the correct waterpump for me then I would be installing it today!