Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-09-2002, 07:42 AM
deligeds

Very interesting. I tore everything apart again last weekend and satisfied myself that the strut mounts are NOT my problem. (woohoo.) But this lower control arm possibility seems to have potential. Couple of questions:

Looking on Subaruparts.com, it does appear that you can only get new bushings as part of the lower arm assembly. Could someone (Lwin, perhaps) post the part number for just the bushings?

What should I look for to identify excessive ball joint wear? Will I have to remove the knuckle and ball joint?

Seems strange that a mechanic would replace both the lower arm and the ball joint, especially if the arm bushings are available separately. The lower arm itself is about $270, while the ball joint is only about $50. Am I missing something?
Old 11-09-2002, 09:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
I have similar type noise on my '92and I'm quite sure it's coming from my bushings. Since my cam seals are leaking, my entire front end is getting the oil treatment. Someday I'll replace all bushings and be done with it. I haven't looked at the front suspension very closely but if it's anything like my wife's Legacy then the ball joints are a bugger to remove. That could be why the mechanic simply replaced the entire arm I suspect. I wasn't able to separate the Legacy's contol arm afrom the hub assembly either. In order to replace the front axles, it was easier to simply disconnect the entire arm from the vehicle (with hub and ball joint intact)!

My .02cents.

>Seems strange that a mechanic would replace both the lower arm and the ball joint, especially if the arm bushings are available separately. The lower arm itself is about $270, while the ball joint is only about $50. Am I missing something?

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 11-10-2002, 10:21 PM
The Road Less Traveled

SVX_Commuter,

Does your clinking noise go away when you apply the brakes?

VK
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I have been chasing the "small bump noise" in my SVX for some time and I found the cause. It is the front sway bar in my car. I suggest you take the sway bar out, ruber bushings, clamps, and link ends, just for a test, and see if the noise goes away. If this is the problem in your car we can talk about how to make the noise go away.

I have decided to live with the noise as I know now that nothing is broken or malfunctioning.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:19 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
SVX_Commuter,

Does your clinking noise go away when you apply the brakes?

VK
NO This is a different noise than the brake shoes make. More like a muffled thud. It's from the clamping force of the rubber bushings on the front stabilizer bar and the the fact that the bar always silides toward the driver side.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by deligeds
What should I look for to identify excessive ball joint wear? Will I have to remove the knuckle and ball joint?
Easy to check the BJ, jack up that side of the car and insert safety stand. Using a pry bar betwen the knuckle and the control, pry them apart and check for movement in the joint. If it moves it's bad. This works because the rubber bushings inthe lower arm push the arm up into the knuckle whenthe tire is off the ground. The knuckle does not have to come off to change the BJ
Old 11-15-2002, 11:42 AM
Pearlywhites1992

OK, you may recall that I picked up the dreaded "clunk" after I changed the struts. I thought it may have been bad strut mounts, so I changed them. Didn't work. So today I installed new springs and the rubber donuts at each end of the spring, and the clunk is gone! It goes in Monday for new inner tie-rods, new valve-cover gaskets, and a 4-wheel alignment. Just tryin to keep it mint!

Tim
Old 11-16-2002, 08:42 PM
Ticallion

Can you describe the clunk in more detail? Mine appears to happen any time there's movement in the suspension on the driver side. Specifically when I hit a bump/crack/pothole... but happens moreso when i'm turning right.... so all the weight on the driver side of the car. I'm going nucking futs!!!! I had speedy's check out my car yesterday (complete checkup) and he said the entire front end was tight, not a single problem, but he noticed the clunk too.

My dad is taking apart the front shafts on monday to replace the cv boots... he might as well fix the suspension. Where is this doughnut? What is the part number?
Thank you
-Ross
Old 11-17-2002, 06:01 AM
Pearlywhites1992

Where is this doughnut?

Ross,
I feel the clunking was coming from my worn springs. I suspected them since I didn't change them the first time. (I only changed the struts) Didn't you just change struts and springs? The rubber
donuts form themselves around the top and bottom of the springs, I assume to prevent any metal to metal rubbing noises.
I hope you find your clunk........are you sure you got updated mounts? (If it is a '92)

Tim
Old 11-17-2002, 06:02 AM
Pearlywhites1992

I'm going nucking futs!!!!

You may want to check your tie-rods........
Old 11-17-2002, 06:48 AM
Ticallion

Well I checked the mounts as per $VX's advice... they seem to be fine... i dont notice any movement. Besides, it seems to be coming from the "dead foot" area... so i'm thinking control arm, or spring seats.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:28 AM
cjoffe

I just had my "Clunk" checked out and everything is tight except the strut-mounts are shot, so that's another vote for mounts. My front suspension also seems a lot softer than the back. Is it supposed to be, or is it time for new(er) parts?

CJ
Old 11-18-2002, 01:19 PM
$VX

It could be the springs, but I doubt it. What year is yours? If its a 92 or 93 it could be the spring mounts, the rubber could be worn out. If it IS your springs, instead of buying NEW springs, what you can do is go to a hardware store and buy some vacuum hose. Slit it. Put it around your spring, and zip tie hte hell out of it.

This was sorta factory on my old neon. Both front and rear springs had a rubber 'sleeve' around the lower portion of the spring, I'm guessing because when the spring compressed it sorta hit itself.

- Ca$h
Old 11-18-2002, 01:32 PM
cjoffe

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
It could be the springs, but I doubt it. What year is yours? If its a 92 or 93 it could be the spring mounts, the rubber could be worn out. If it IS your springs, instead of buying NEW springs, what you can do is go to a hardware store and buy some vacuum hose. Slit it. Put it around your spring, and zip tie hte hell out of it.

This was sorta factory on my old neon. Both front and rear springs had a rubber 'sleeve' around the lower portion of the spring, I'm guessing because when the spring compressed it sorta hit itself.

- Ca$h
We could see the strut-mounts moving, but nothing we looked at would have told us if the springs were rattling also. From what I've read, that's a likely cause as well. Since it all has to come out to do the strutmounts, I'll probably try your suggestion or something like it at that time.

CJ
Old 11-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Registered Abuser

I'm having exactly the same problem. It began when I swapped hub assemblies on the driver's side front. I swapped back just to see, but that wasn't it. Everything is tight, but it's still there. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 11-18-2002, 02:26 PM
$VX

If your strut mounts are moving I'm putting my money on those.

- Ca$h