Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-04-2002, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the opinion Beav,

I've never added an aftermarket gauge to a car except a tach back in the days of big block MOPARs.

I've generally felt like I worry without a gauge, but worry about what the gauge is saying too - since I could never decide - I took the easiest route - don't buy it then if you can't make up your mind.

I continue to struggle with the idea of a tranny temp guage, but then again it's such a frequent topic here I get paranoid.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
That's o.k., a lot of people think that since I'm a mechanic I should have a full set of tools in each of my vehicles. To tell the truth, you'd be hard pressed to find a screwdriver in my car. If it breaks on the road you'll find me waiting for the tow truck while sitting in the closest bah.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:16 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
I dont understand why you would need to monitor the A/f ratio in a naturaly aspirated car. The computer should be doing an adaquate job as long as you are not altering pressure levels. I used one in my eclipse in sync with my boost cotroller/guage to make sure i wasnt running to lean or even the slightest bit lean on WOT.....after all nobody likes detonation Especially PDQ gas
phil

Last edited by Phast SVX; 10-04-2002 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Green1995SVX

Because they look cool.

Mike
Old 10-04-2002, 09:09 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Because they look cool.

Mike
All this gauge talk somehow pulled an old image out of the old mushy hard drive between my ears. Back when I, as a kid, would visit the the corner drug store twice a day anxiously awaiting the arrival of the latest issue of Popular Mechanics, the geek mag of its day; I read an article about a WWII fighter pilot who decided his '50 Buick needed all the instrumentation of the Hellcat, or whatever he flew during the war. I'll never forget the interior photo. There was the windshield & top of the dash. A steering wheel was visible. The rest of dash area & below from door to door was nothing but analog (yeah, not digital, Ron) B & W gauges. Just why a '50 Buick needed an altimeter is besides the point. It looked wild, & the owner was happy.
Besides, '50 Buicks didn't have funny windows to gawk at.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:38 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Hey mike - are you still using this gauge? I'm thinking of getting one and also one of the e-bay scam item 20hp mods just to see what it is actually doing to the air fuel mixture.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:09 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
hate to brake it to you but there is no way in hell you will see a difference on WOT,an a/f only mesures stoich conditions on wide open throttle, it will bounce from lean to rich the rest of the time on partial throttle. Ill tell you right now what it will do and save you the money. When you go WOT with that stupid thing in, it will go to the same DAMN bar it always does, guarunteed. In my GST i could raise boost by a PSI and have roughly the same stoich conditions assuming i had decent gas. Not untill i started to reach 2-3 psi difference did you start to lean the mixture out. that little resistor thing would just make you mad for wasting the money. Save it for a wheel bearing or somthing If your really hung up on this considering buying an egt(engine gas temp) probe/guage, and see what the conditions change to with the resistor in, should give you any change in combustion conditions more accuratly. higher temps= leaner, lower=richer
phil
Old 02-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Superbeast

Thats what I was gona say. Takes A little more knowledge to read but much more usefull. Autometer even makes one with duel inputs.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!