Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
shifter knobs, boot

My tranny swap is still under way; getting an '05 WRX 5mt, could be ready in 2 weeks, maybe 3. No rush. We were thinking black boot to match what most Subarus seem to have and I haven't looked into shifter knobs because I was thinking that it would, of course, be an accent leather to go with the interior. I hadn't even considered all the zillion other possibilities. I think it should be understated, luxurious, not too sporty, but I'm opening the door, here, to opinions and suggestions.

What do you think?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX
Re: shifter knobs, boot

What color interior, grey or beige. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a grey shift boot, Ebay has plenty (one for a 3000gt is a dead-on match). Grey shift knobs on the other are very hard to find.

What I'm using now is one of these: http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=5172
I like it a lot. I also have a stock sti one that I switch to when I want to minimize the ricey look.

Instead of thinking about knobs and boots to spend money on, how bout a shortshifter and stiffer shifter bushings? I really think stock height shifters look ridiculous in the SVX (just MHO). http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.p...cat=253&page=1 (they can be found cheaper, check the for-sale section of nasioc).
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I picked up a brand new OEM Momo one off NASICO. Seemed like the natural choice seeing as I also have the OEM Momo steering wheel.

I also have the STi aluminum trim surround and shift boot aswell, though for my year of car using this will mean relocating my door lock button. I'll probably just drill a hole and move it few inches to the side of the console rather than the top. Either that or just go without it... I'm doing just find without power locks on my 240sx haha.

Last edited by STeeL25T; 02-06-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I also have the STi aluminum trim surround and shift boot aswell, though for my year of car using this will mean relocating my door lock button. I'll probably just drill a hole and move it few inches to the side of the console rather than the top. Either that or just go without it... I'm doing just find without power locks on my 240sx haha.
I've been doing fine without mine. The earlier years didn't have them at all.

That momo knob is pretty nice. Will balance out the metal of the shifter surround pretty well.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 PM

Registered SVX

Short shifter is part of the swap, not sure of the bushings, though.

Nice suggestions, still looking for more old school trad, but I'm not sure I should be.

Here's what I've found, so far (redlinegoods):

[URL="http://www.redlinegoods.com"]

for boots, and (latheworks):

http://http://lathewerks.com/shop/in...p?cPath=1_8_16

don't know if I got those on here right, but, looks like custom boots can be had as well as great shifters. Traditional sphere shifter is what I gravitate towards but, maybe the teardrop or piston is better. Definitely prefer copolymer if not leather. No collar? 3/8" collar? 1/2" collar?

What happened to shifter knobs for ten bucks? Maybe I should just stick an old tennis ball there. Or one of those big translucent super balls. (kidding)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
Short shifter is part of the swap, not sure of the bushings, though.

Definitely prefer copolymer if not leather.
Fixed your links: http://www.redlinegoods.com
http://lathewerks.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_8_16

Good call on the shortshifter. Which one are you going to go with? The bushings are not nearly as important and you might prefer not to have them. They add precision to your shifts, but also add vibrations.

My cobb one is copolymer and feels great. Very grippy, much more so than the plastic looking surface would indicate. Just avoid aluminum and other metal ones. Get really hot when it's hot and really cold when it's cold.

How about something in this shape? http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16157 (it's aluminum, but I'm sure you could find something similar in copolymer. Depends of course on how you hold it.

You're right, they did get stupid expensive.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 AM

Registered SVX

I have the same. MOMO knob. I looked at the boot site , they don't list SVX big surprise ... I have the bushings , not sure about the short shift kit. I can shift. With one finger.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Fixed your links: http://www.redlinegoods.com
http://lathewerks.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_8_16

Good call on the shortshifter. Which one are you going to go with? The bushings are not nearly as important and you might prefer not to have them. They add precision to your shifts, but also add vibrations.

My cobb one is copolymer and feels great. Very grippy, much more so than the plastic looking surface would indicate. Just avoid aluminum and other metal ones. Get really hot when it's hot and really cold when it's cold.

How about something in this shape? http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16157 (it's aluminum, but I'm sure you could find something similar in copolymer. Depends of course on how you hold it.

You're right, they did get stupid expensive.

I'm not sure about the short shifter. Tim, the guy doing the swap for me said, hey, do you want the short-shifter kit. I thought about it, asked him what it's for (shorter, quicker shifts, I think he said) and said yes. I've never had a performance car before so it's not something I know about. My manual trannies have been in trucks and vans and an old '83 Subaru years ago.

Now, IDK enough from experience to pick a shift knob shape. The somewhat flattened kartboy sphere looks good. I still wonder about the piston shaped ones and can see myself liking that shape or maybe a modified piston shape because I can see grabbing the shifter side-on as being the right feel for this.

Anyone have any experience with that? I hate to pick something expensive and then wish I'd picked something else.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I run a stock Leather Subaru one, like comes on an RS, or Legacy GT, or Outback with a Leather package.

I don't care for the all metal ones, as they get hot in the sunlight
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM

Registered SVX

Are those black leather?

Last edited by WYOSVX; 02-07-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: dbl
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM

Registered SVX

Are those black leather?

I'm thinking black copolymer, wrx teardrop w/shift pattern engraved in silver.

Gives a good grab from top or sides.

Can always leather wrap later.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
Are those black leather?
Yes, black or very dark grey, looks right at home in the SVX
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan