How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
What are those parts to find now?

Could have sworn this thread exists already...but I can't find it!

Now, I don't mean stuff that breaks commonly and is equally commonly available, OR things that are easily (enough) rebuilt. Things that are easily enough done custom doesnt count either.

Alts, starters, ps pumps, cv axles can all be rebuilt, seats can be recovered...brake calipers are shared with many other cars, lock systems are nissan...etc...

What is unique to the SVX that once broken/worn out, is unrealistic to replace w/o a new part from the shelf/doner car?

All the Glass.....lenses, rubber seals (door seals, window seals), interior electronics (a/c control)....
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Re: What are those parts to find now?

How about head and tail lights, rear lense, all interior parts subject to wear, engines?

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 PM

I've resigned myself to believing that owning an SVX means owning a parts car, too... Sadly, if your parts car is the same age (or older) it probably means that the items that fail or wear out are more likely to have failed or worn out.

I actually bought my parts car because it had a perfect driver's side visor with a snap-back that would break your fingers!

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
I actually bought my parts car because it had a perfect driver's side visor with a snap-back that would break your fingers!
thats funny

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM

Registered SVX

after the problems i have had getting replacement parts i have decided to try to protect what i have instead of stock piling replacement. i have 6 brand new replacement brake lenses for my '56 plymouth and they cost less than one brake light unit for the svx. my new strategy - the preemptive honk. works great.

car behind you too close or not stopping quickly enough at a light - honk at em, someone looks like they are thinking about pulling in front of you - honk at them, someone swinging too close in a parking lot - honk at em, etc... i have received many waves of different sorts but have prevented several near misses if not collisions. the only part i might stock pile is horns which i think are shared with other cars so should be cheap.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
after the problems i have had getting replacement parts i have decided to try to protect what i have instead of stock piling replacement. i have 6 brand new replacement brake lenses for my '56 plymouth and they cost less than one brake light unit for the svx. my new strategy - the preemptive honk. works great.

car behind you too close or not stopping quickly enough at a light - honk at em, someone looks like they are thinking about pulling in front of you - honk at them, someone swinging too close in a parking lot - honk at em, etc... i have received many waves of different sorts but have prevented several near misses if not collisions. the only part i might stock pile is horns which i think are shared with other cars so should be cheap.
Sounds like you're a candidate for a set of Hella Supertones both front and rear! I've found honking at people behind you is useless without a " sound-weapon" pointed at them aboard. You tend to piss off the wrong people, like the car in front of you. Might be a challenge to wire up separate buttons, but actually not a bad idea.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Registered SVX

i put dual horns on one of my cars, was great but always ended up hitting the wrong button. got some "freeway blaster" horns from auto zone and they made a huge difference. i might piss a lot of people off with the honking but it seems to do the job. my favorite is honking at people who are texting, whether they are doing something wrong or not they get a honk. usually startles them into paying attention and they have no idea who the honk came from let alone why.