Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-06-2002, 11:23 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Unhappy Blown Engine and Tranny died!!!

My SVX is now a very good looking lawn orniment in Salt Lake. Any one know of a inexpensive SVX Mech in Salt Lake. It's really hard to type through these tears..... I'll give more details when I can see the screen more clearly...
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 09-06-2002, 11:54 AM
Who watches the watchmen?

Not WhiteWing!!! You had done so much with the car fixing up all the problems you inherited from the previous owner, it's a damn shame.

If you are just passing through SLC, then you may be better off if repairs are done by a national chain or a Subaru dealership. That way if something goes wrong with the repairs when you get home, you'll be able to go to the local franchise location and get it fixed for free. Otherwise, it's a long tow truck drive back to SLC.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 09-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Not down or out yet!!

Quote:
Originally posted by nordique14
Not WhiteWing!!! You had done so much with the car fixing up all the problems you inherited from the previous owner, it's a damn shame.

If you are just passing through SLC, then you may be better off if repairs are done by a national chain or a Subaru dealership. That way if something goes wrong with the repairs when you get home, you'll be able to go to the local franchise location and get it fixed for free. Otherwise, it's a long tow truck drive back to SLC.

Good luck,
Matt
Matt,

Good to hear from you. It looks like I will be moving back to Salt Lake. Better Job, Higher pay and a lower cost of living there. It will let me afford to get the car fixed... Do you still have the rack on your car?
Old 09-06-2002, 04:28 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Hey Mitch,

I still have the roof rack. Soon it will be time to replace the bike attachments with the ski rack.

So what happened to the car? Transmission AND engine blew up? Yikes!

Good luck in SLC. Nice place. Not much of a night life though.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 09-06-2002, 04:33 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Salt Lake night life...

Salt Lake (having gown upthere) is a great place to live, but a hard place to visit if you don't know the area.. Us locals love it!! Now that I will be living there I've decided to rebuild the engine and tranny. The tranny gave out coming over Donner Pass. I tried to nurse it in third gear (it would shift into 4th) by going 45-50 miles per hour. The engine just wasn't ment to keep rev'd up to 5000 rpm for any length of time. Purely my fault!!!! I should have taken it just a little more slowly. maybe 45 all the way!!!! oops. Now I'll pay!!!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:07 PM

I am so envious of you guys living in SLC! The skiing there is the best. I would even put up with the "near" beer and awful coffee.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:18 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Mitch,
My deepest sympathies. Keep heart. Focus on WHEN you get her running again. Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-06-2002, 09:25 PM
"high" in Colorado

Thumbs up SLC...

Sorry to hear about your car, Matt.....Glad to hear you are not giving up on it!

SLC is a GREAT place! I have many memorable ski days there....hangin' with locals....nice, clean, courteous city. Learn the system, and it doesn't cramp your style. At last count, I heard they have a non Morman, woman mayor (does that buck their reputation?) I Love Salt Lake City!
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 09-06-2002, 11:10 PM

Re: Salt Lake night life...

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
Salt Lake (having gown upthere) is a great place to live, but a hard place to visit if you don't know the area.. Us locals love it!! Now that I will be living there I've decided to rebuild the engine and tranny. The tranny gave out coming over Donner Pass. I tried to nurse it in third gear (it would shift into 4th) by going 45-50 miles per hour. The engine just wasn't ment to keep rev'd up to 5000 rpm for any length of time. Purely my fault!!!! I should have taken it just a little more slowly. maybe 45 all the way!!!! oops. Now I'll pay!!!
I'm not sure if you've been through Colorado on East I-70 approaching the Eisenhauer Tunnel, but altitiude is a real power killer there. I've alwas crused in 2nd gear at 70 MPH with RPMs at about 5000. Probably for total length of about 5 minutes. Not to mention doing the same thing on part of the highway about 10 minutes before this stretch. I'm surpised your engine gave in. How long was it for?
Anyway, sorry to hear about this and good luck with Salt Lake.
Dave.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:36 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

tranny

I just replaced my tranny. Subaru cost, minus core, was about $2600 they couldn't get the speed sensor out of the old one that was about another $300. Total cost plus labor and parts was $3600.

The engine should have held up at 5000 RPM. Check the specialty junk yards. I got an engine with about 80K on it for $2000.

The Subaru folks looked at me like I was crazy. 214K and I'm putting a transmission in it!

I wish I didn't love this car............

Clydesvx
Old 09-07-2002, 01:19 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
The way it happened...

You are all correct for a limited time the engine should hold up to a 5000 even 5000+ for a short time. I, however, made the mistake of a sustained 5000 plus or minus 1000 for over 250 miles at 50-60 miles per on an engine that just turned 100k and I only put the last 10k on. I have no idea what the previous owner did to this motor. It couldn't have been very good. I've had to do a lot of suspension work on this car. I was dumb.... Now I will pay for my impatient need to get to Salt Lake for a job interview that I had to pospone anyway.... The fact that I got the job and will lose the use of my car for a few weeks or months is the lesson I learned.

Matt, could you tell me where you got your rack again I looked though our posts and couldn't find the info.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2002, 02:03 PM
Green1995SVX

There is an engine at the salvage yard down the street from me. It has 42,000 miles on it and is out of a 94.

http://www.subarusvx.org/mike/junk/P1010037.JPG

PM me for their contact info.

Mike
Old 09-07-2002, 10:04 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Harry (newsvx) I think still has the engine from the car he's parting as well. Try him.

VK
Old 09-08-2002, 07:02 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
1994 SVX Engine Available

Uncamitzi,
As Vkykam mentioned, I still have the engine and trany from the '94 L Model FWD available. It should have been pulled from the car this past week - I need to confirm that). The engine has 115K miles on it - the trany (remember, FWD) has only 7K miles on it. The engine burns no oil and ran very strong - up to the point of the accident.
E-mail me if you are interested. Obviously, if you can acquire the engine with 42K miles on it (Green1995SVX posting), that would be much better for you. Expect a number of $ for shipping from the East Coast.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 09-09-2002, 01:19 AM
CopsodyX

omg u poor baby...when i read that both were killed...i got chills. Best of luck to u...so sorry.