Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
What's your SVX's favorite road?

I got a chance to take the scenic route this weekend while running some errands. My favorite alt-route to town is a little known road called Tuna Canyon. It begins just above my house on the ridge separating my canyon from Malibu, and is a single lane/one-way road with no intersections the entire way down to the beach. With lots of turns, a steep grade, and the constant threat of rock slides it is not for the faint of heart. I always take it really easy going down there, but knowing that there's no chance of oncoming traffic it is very fun to work on hitting your apexes through the tight corners.

Here's a map
Googlemaps

And a random vid found online (not me driving, nor my music).

So what road calls to you? Where does your SVX like to stretch it's legs?
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: What's your SVX's favorite road?

Around here, Mt Rose highway hands-down winner. It connects Reno to north Lake Tahoe and is a curvy hillclimb followed by a high speed descent, depending on which way you go. You can keep it in 2nd all the way up and not redline it. Mountain road along with turn-outs for the slow people, if you hit it after 6pm or before 6am its open road.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Around here, Mt Rose highway hands-down winner. It connects Reno to north Lake Tahoe and is a curvy hillclimb followed by a high speed descent, depending on which way you go. You can keep it in 2nd all the way up and not redline it. Mountain road along with turn-outs for the slow people, if you hit it after 6pm or before 6am its open road.
Nice. Despite many trips up to that area, I've never driven that road. My approach usually involves the 89 through Markleeville then on to S Lake. I'll have to check that one out next time in in your neighborhood.

Who else has one? Tail of the Dragon? I-70 through Kansas for top end tests? Maybe your SVX is best at stop/go traffic with the music turned up. This isn't street racing, in fact I doubt I break the 25mph speed limit the entire way down mine, but there has to be some place where your SVX shines. Where is your SVX's natural habitat?
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

I have a favorite road, but.......I ain't sharing!!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
I have a favorite road, but.......I ain't sharing!!

Glenn
Ha! Honestly I kept some of my favorites to myself as well. However, I nominate from your vicinity Hwy193 or Georgetown Rd. I've had a very white knuckled drive north up this baby once in my Legacy, and have longed to return ever since.

Maps

Old 04-12-2010, 06:02 PM

Registered SVX

Up here in Washington the main highway over the pass (Cascade mountain range) is Hwy. 2. Goes to stevens pass. I have only had the pleasure of driving the highway on a couple occasions in my SVX, but it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, my car was not in very good shape then (and it was my only vehicle )

However, when I complete my engine that is going to be a good test drive for it. Couple hours up, and a couple hours down. It would be fun if there was still snow on the road

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
Ha! Honestly I kept some of my favorites to myself as well. However, I nominate from your vicinity Hwy193 or Georgetown Rd. I've had a very white knuckled drive north up this baby once in my Legacy, and have longed to return ever since.

Maps
Yeah, that's a good one alright, but too many kids learning to "drift" up in that area for my taste. Actually, I like Stagecoach Road between King City and Soledad quite a bit, with some elevation changes and lots of "whoopties". We travel to San Luis Obispo quite a bit and are always looking for alternate routes to get off the freakways. I use CA Hiway 25 past the East side of Pinnacles, my real fave, between 156 near Hollister, to Bitterwater Rd over the grade to King City and 101 most trips, as a very SVX kind of road. It's about 12 mi shorter, but mostly 45-55 posted, and always a kick to see if I can beat previous gps eta to KIng City. Lightly used too, and mostly good sightlines.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 04-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I think all roads would be my favorite if I had Nevin's rear sway bar..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Yeah, that's a good one alright, but too many kids learning to "drift" up in that area for my taste. Actually, I like Stagecoach Road between King City and Soledad quite a bit, with some elevation changes and lots of "whoopties". We travel to San Luis Obispo quite a bit and are always looking for alternate routes to get off the freakways. I use Hiway 25 past the East side of Pinnacles, my real fave, between 156 near Hollister, and 101 at King City most trips, as a very SVX kind of road. It's about 12 mi shorter, but mostly 45-55 posted, and always a kick to see if I can beat previous gps eta to KIng City. Lightly used too, and mostly good sightlines.

Glenn
I like your taste. Try HWY58 next time if you're up to it. Similar feel to the one you mentioned, but a bit further south (closer to me). When I was in school in Ventura I used to spend my off days exploring the roads between I5 and the 101. That's just beautiful country.

Now, California has some great roads. I've spent 10 years exploring the roads less traveled, and could go on all day. But I want to hear from some of you further out on the World Wide Web. What's the fun of living vicariously through you guys if I've already been to the places mentioned? Don't be afraid. I live on a street that I imagine would be on a lot of folks top 10 lists, so I know how it can be when "Junior" takes Mom's station wagon out to learn to drift. However, we all know that some roads are better than others, and while respecting the laws and locals we can still get out there and have a little clean fun with our cars.

Freeman: If you installed Nevin's RSB today, where would you go to test it out? I'm really bored at work today, and sitting on GoogleMaps is just what I need to maintain the illusion of productivity.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 PM

sorry I was wondering if people would be willing to post maybe a map of their favorite road? Preferably satelite view
Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
sorry I was wondering if people would be willing to post maybe a map of their favorite road? Preferably satelite view
Like this?

Maps

I've embedded links in my posts, but hidden them as text. Just click anything I've underlined and it'll show you a road.

Just looking at your area it seems that Street View is yet to arrive at the more interesting little routes in the vicinity. What've you got that beats the Kirkwood Pike?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Up here in Washington the main highway over the pass (Cascade mountain range) is Hwy. 2. Goes to stevens pass. I have only had the pleasure of driving the highway on a couple occasions in my SVX, but it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, my car was not in very good shape then (and it was my only vehicle )

However, when I complete my engine that is going to be a good test drive for it. Couple hours up, and a couple hours down. It would be fun if there was still snow on the road
Very nice road! I got to romp my sister's Forrester up a little service road from Fish Lake deep into the mountains (I'm thinking it must've been the road to Trinity, but I had a local "co-driver" telling me where to go). I love it up there.

If I ever get another excuse to drive HWY20 in my lifetime, I'll jump right on it (SVX or not). The only time I was on it was driving a VERY loaded down Honda CRV and still that road amazed me.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM

Actually there isn't much around PA that I have enjoyed as much as some of the roads in Utah. While I can't claim an SVX favorite since mine has spent more time in the driveway due to upgrades etc I figure here is one of the many roads out west I love to drive be it bike or car (awd) also not the rt 210 below in the graphic but actually opposite range. Big Cottonwood Cyn Rd!

worst road ever to drive this little stretch of highway Interstate 10 outside of Palm Springs. Look closely and you can see lines around the highway those are windmills! The wind in that area can almost blow you off the road if you aren't careful.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...65875&t=h&z=15

East Coast so far favorite road was in Virginia

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...65875&t=h&z=15

Sorry I am not good at attaching links.

Last edited by sowise; 04-12-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Registered SVX

Here in VT there are a few fun roads but most of them are fairly short. But THE BEST road in Vermont BY FAR is the McCullough turnpike.

http://maps..com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.197221,-72.922096&spn=0.092796,0.307274&t=h&z=12

It crosses the spine of the Green Mountains and is a TON of fun. If you scroll out and look farther south, just about any "gap" road is a blast, although I really think RT17 is the best. Lincoln to Warren via Lincoln Gap is fun too, although some if it is dirt. Also 125 is fun, but some sections are a bit rough. 73 is alright and so is RT 4 over Killington.

I've also heard that the toll road up Mt. Mansfield is a lot of fun and that RT108 which goes along the edge of the mountain is good too.

http://maps..com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.527353,-72.776184&spn=0.092274,0.307274&t=h&z=12

The toll road is along the southern edge of the ski area, you just have to zoom in to see it.

That's all for now, I'm getting read to go try to find some more soon.

Last edited by crash_2365; 04-12-2010 at 08:55 PM.