Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-30-2002, 05:26 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Smile Well gee...

Instead of pulling a coin out of my pocket I'll just spill the beans here, in public...

For quite some time now whenever a site moves to another IP I can't get IE to find it. I haven't been able to go to Amazon.com or a few other sites. I had lost mapquest for a while but I did something (I wish I could remember what it was, I actually figured it out and got it back.) Now I can't get here without plopping my fanny in the recliner. The bad part is I need bifocals (which I don't have) to read from the big screen across the room and still manipulate a keyboard (I can't type very well.)

I've tried deleting cookies, files, history and bookmarks referring to the sites I'm unable to reach, etc. I traced back and got the new ip for this site and can get to the front page but any other pages come up with the "server being moved" box. IE is latest ver. and all updates are installed.

Any clues will be helpful. TIA
Old 07-30-2002, 05:39 PM
dart

Re: Well gee...

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Instead of pulling a coin out of my pocket I'll just spill the beans here, in public...

For quite some time now whenever a site moves to another IP I can't get IE to find it. I haven't been able to go to Amazon.com or a few other sites. I had lost mapquest for a while but I did something (I wish I could remember what it was, I actually figured it out and got it back.) Now I can't get here without plopping my fanny in the recliner. The bad part is I need bifocals (which I don't have) to read from the big screen across the room and still manipulate a keyboard (I can't type very well.)

I've tried deleting cookies, files, history and bookmarks referring to the sites I'm unable to reach, etc. I traced back and got the new ip for this site and can get to the front page but any other pages come up with the "server being moved" box. IE is latest ver. and all updates are installed.

Any clues will be helpful. TIA
Probably obvious but have you checked your security settings in IE Tools/Internet Options/Security? If its XP click Default Level. If its set on high that could cause problems such as you describe. Also may want to check the tab to the right of security
-- Content -- and check if the content advisor is enabled.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:54 PM
Not as old as Randy

Re: Re: Well gee...

Quote:
Originally posted by dart

Probably obvious but have you checked your security settings in IE Tools/Internet Options/Security? If its XP click Default Level. If its set on high that could cause problems such as you describe. Also may want to check the tab to the right of security
-- Content -- and check if the content advisor is enabled.
It's win2k, I usually run a custom/medium level and I couldn't handle surfing with a content advisor, I wouldn't be able to check the current line-up at my favorite restaraunt... Good try though - Thanx.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Beav, it sounds a lot like a DNS problem to me. Try pinging the sites in question and see if the correct IP addresses is being resolved. Perhaps the DNS server you're using is caching old records for too long. I've got a test server that's usually up that you can try if you want. 66.64.16.194

KuoH
Old 07-30-2002, 06:59 PM
Not as old as Randy

The problem doesn't appear on this computer though (XP), and both share the same router/connection.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If it's only happening to sites that change IP's then it is more likely a DNS issue. Windows 2000 will cache DNS information and you can clear it by running the "ipconfig /flushdns" command. You can also see if you ISP can keep their DNS servers more up to date or provide you with additional servers.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
If it's only happening to sites that change IP's then it is more likely a DNS issue. Windows 2000 will cache DNS information and you can clear it by running the "ipconfig /flushdns" command. You can also see if you ISP can keep their DNS servers more up to date or provide you with additional servers.
I flushed the cache, rec'd confirmation message and still have the same problem. I seriously doubt that the isp is the problem as this computer resolved the new addy w/o difficulty.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:50 PM

Beav, you might want to try installing SP3. It's supposed to fix a lot of issues, including some relating to DNS. Also, make sure that you don't have any unnecessary entries in the HOSTS file.

http://www.activewin.com/win2000/sp3bugs.shtml

KuoH
Old 07-30-2002, 08:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

I flushed the cache, rec'd confirmation message and still have the same problem. I seriously doubt that the isp is the problem as this computer resolved the new addy w/o difficulty.
OK, more things you can look into are:

MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) size
- I have this problem with Win2000 and previous OS's on my own network only when behind the router. Windows XP is more immune to this issue because it will use automatic MTU path discovery by default. You can determine the MTU for your network by using "ping -f www..com -l 1344" changing 1344 to get the highest possible number without getting an error stating the packet needs to be fragmented. You can search your windows registry with regedit.exe to see if the MTU key already exists, however, it should be in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcp/ip\Parameters\Interfaces\{some class id}\

with the key being named "MTU". Even if this is not the problem it is still a good idea to set it.

Proxy/Firewall/Antivirus software
- either on the Win2000 machine or with the router

TCP/IP protocol
- possibly malfunctioning. Can be removed/replaced in Win2000 by going into "My Network Places" properties-->"Local Area Connection" properties

Networking Services
- has been known to cause browsing issues (add/remove programs-->add/remove windows components)

Which version of Win2000 do you have? (Pro/Server/Advanced Server)
Old 07-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Beav, you might want to try installing SP3. It's supposed to fix a lot of issues, including some relating to DNS. Also, make sure that you don't have any unnecessary entries in the HOSTS file.
As for Service Pack 3 - if it's not yet available from Microsoft then I would stay away from it. Whatever is available from windowsupdate.microsoft.com is fair game though.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:44 PM
Not as old as Randy

Thanx guys, this will give me a bit to chew on. I'll give it a try tomorrow night.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:55 PM

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...-US/w2ksp3.exe

It's pretty busy though from what I hear.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm

As for Service Pack 3 - if it's not yet available from Microsoft then I would stay away from it. Whatever is available from windowsupdate.microsoft.com is fair game though.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
[url]It's pretty busy though from what I hear.
hehe, I'll wait for Microsoft to yank the file to fix bugs from not adequately testing the Service Pack...then re-release it
Old 07-30-2002, 10:43 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Beav,

What router/connection are you using?

I'm just wondering whether there may be a bug issue with the firmware of your router.

Also, could you provide the results of an "IPCONFIG /ALL"? I would be curious to see what DNS server your Win2k machine is using.

I would agree with Earthworm's suggestion with checking the proxy/firewall/antivirus software. What anti-virus software are you using? Does your IE LAN settings have a proxy server checked?

I do remember seeing this problem once, unfortunately, I don't remember what the fix is... Crap...

VK
Old 07-31-2002, 05:25 PM
Not as old as Randy

Well I did the sp3 and did some further looking around, all to no avail. The hosts file was something I had forgotten about, so kudos for that one. I found the reference to this site, deleted it and voila!, I'm here.

Thanx to all, and the trophy goes to Dr. Kuoh, for this round.