How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM

Re: HELP! 430 miles from home...

Quote:
At this rate im going to get home with nothing but 4 rims, a steering wheel, and and my legs poking through the floorboard pushing me along.....

but at least you will be home
Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

both front tires being worn on the inside points to alignment before ball joints.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Had a chance to do some quick testing when the clouds broke. Looks like my Coolant temp sensor has infinite resistance between the two terminals I checked, rechecked, and triple checked the sensor..... so it looks like its done. This could be a good reason for the no-start yes?? Even though it didnt throw a code for it? Found one in stock at autozone for $25.99

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Had a chance to do some quick testing when the clouds broke. Looks like my Coolant temp sensor has infinite resistance between the two terminals I checked, rechecked, and triple checked the sensor..... so it looks like its done. This could be a good reason for the no-start yes?? Even though it didnt throw a code for it? Found one in stock at autozone for $25.99
Sounds that way Let us know how it goes.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-03-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
This could be a good reason for the no-start yes??
A new coolant temp sensor cured a temperature-sensitive hard-starting problem for me. Will the car start if you hold the accelerator to the floor while cranking?

dcb
Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Well I put the new sensor in... the old one was corroded and fell apart on removal .... the battery was low, and for some reason the codes wouldnt clear using the two jumpers method. I tried starting it with the low battery and the present codes..... wouldnt start. Could this be because I have to reset the computer?? I hope so!! Im charging the battery right now so hopefully ill be able to report back soon with good news. No dcb it just died and wouldnt start again even with the pedal pressed.... im praying this is the problem.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM

I am praying with you

Keith
Old 03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Thanks Keith! Well i put the battery in, the codes had cleared on their own while the battery was in here, still wont start. The starter seems like it is laboring to start the car, so I have determined that a pulley may have frozen somewhere along the timing belt. I hope its not my new waterpump!! The back of the belt appears to have some light friction marks, and the wierd thing is that when the waterpump seized before... the car would still start up, but just make screeching noises and smoke from the timing belt....

So perhaps one of the smooth idlers can cause more drag when it seizes...or one of the gear idlers?? The timing belt is turning I have verified that, and I noticed gasoline dripping from the exhaust pipe under the car... meaning its getting fuel injected into the cylinders. Im stumped, I just hope to not have to yank apart the timing stuff again since im all the way out here and dont have a garage or all my tools The repeated cranking of the engine did not throw any codes so far.

Once again the car just stalled initially going around a left turn, and in the morning when I first try cranking, it starts for a half second roughly then dies... and wont turn over at all until the next day. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Just tested the MAF wire harness, and according to the SVX service manual.... the black/red wire is supposed to have 12 volts as the feed wire, and thw white one is supposed to have o to .3 volts as the signal. The black/red wire has zero volts, but theres a plain red wire going into the MAF that has the 12 volts. Is this just a screw up in the service manual?? The signal wire shows the correct .2 volts... so im assuming that the red wire is the actual supply wire. Is this correct?

Also can anyone tell me if theres a way to resistance test the MAF? I tried a search but came up empty... thanks.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 03-03-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added Q
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Thanks Keith! Well i put the battery in, the codes had cleared on their own while the battery was in here, still wont start. The starter seems like it is laboring to start the car, so I have determined that a pulley may have frozen somewhere along the timing belt. I hope its not my new waterpump!! The back of the belt appears to have some light friction marks, and the wierd thing is that when the waterpump seized before... the car would still start up, but just make screeching noises and smoke from the timing belt....

So perhaps one of the smooth idlers can cause more drag when it seizes...or one of the gear idlers?? The timing belt is turning I have verified that, and I noticed gasoline dripping from the exhaust pipe under the car... meaning its getting fuel injected into the cylinders. Im stumped, I just hope to not have to yank apart the timing stuff again since im all the way out here and dont have a garage or all my tools The repeated cranking of the engine did not throw any codes so far.

Once again the car just stalled initially going around a left turn, and in the morning when I first try cranking, it starts for a half second roughly then dies... and wont turn over at all until the next day. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
If it's the timing idlers, I've got a garage, tools, and spare used idlers sitting on my workbench from last weekend when I just did the idlers on my car.

I've also got a truck, trailer and winch if you really need to move the car the hard way. But I'm not going to offer to tow it if it starts snowing, screw driving a trailer around in the snow/ice!

Also, I've got a spare MAF (in a box somewhere). It's got known intermittant issues (my car used to die randomly while running fine until I installed the new MAF) but if we install it and your car fires right up, we've proven that your MAF is in worse shape. (But if we install it and nothing happens, we haven't proven anything.)

I can probably get outta work right at 5pm today if you want some help!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
If it's the timing idlers, I've got a garage, tools, and spare used idlers sitting on my workbench from last weekend when I just did the idlers on my car.

I've also got a truck, trailer and winch if you really need to move the car the hard way. But I'm not going to offer to tow it if it starts snowing, screw driving a trailer around in the snow/ice!

Also, I've got a spare MAF (in a box somewhere). It's got known intermittant issues (my car used to die randomly while running fine until I installed the new MAF) but if we install it and your car fires right up, we've proven that your MAF is in worse shape. (But if we install it and nothing happens, we haven't proven anything.)

I can probably get outta work right at 5pm today if you want some help!
Outstanding... PM sent!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

lets back it up here.....

You went around a turn and the car stalled... Did it happen to be a left hand turn?? Did you happen to forget to install your battery tie down and let the battery smack into your cam position sensor when you went around this turn??

Tom

Super secret ninja edit... Read more of your condition... If you are getting fuela nd it will fire for a second, its def. your cam angle sensor. The ECU will shut off the fuel pump after 30 seconds of not seeing movement by the crank position sensor. The crank position sensor #2 controls spark distribution. The cam andle sensor is used to tell the ECU where the #1 cylinder is in all this mess. SO by default, the ignition will spark at the wrong times in the wrong cylinders because it has no reference to whether the engine is on a compression, combustion, exhaust, or intake stroke. Take a closer look at your cam angle sensor and its wiring harness

Tomx2

Last edited by TomsSVX; 03-03-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
lets back it up here.....

You went around a turn and the car stalled... Did it happen to be a left hand turn?? Did you happen to forget to install your battery tie down and let the battery smack into your cam position sensor when you went around this turn??

Tom

Super secret ninja edit... Read more of your condition... If you are getting fuela nd it will fire for a second, its def. your cam angle sensor. The ECU will shut off the fuel pump after 30 seconds of not seeing movement by the crank position sensor. The crank position sensor #2 controls spark distribution. The cam andle sensor is used to tell the ECU where the #1 cylinder is in all this mess. SO by default, the ignition will spark at the wrong times in the wrong cylinders because it has no reference to whether the engine is on a compression, combustion, exhaust, or intake stroke. Take a closer look at your cam angle sensor and its wiring harness

Tomx2
Had never removed the battery before and the hold-down was secure, ill definitely look at that though.... tomorrow hopefully itll stop pouring and I can yank my timing cover and see if the timing is still on. If one of the idlers seized could it make one of the cams or crank gear jump a tooth or two? The belt seems tight and turns while cranking but it seems to crank a little wierd... like its harder to turn the engine. Thanks for the ideas Tom

Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Had never removed the battery before and the hold-down was secure, ill definitely look at that though.... tomorrow hopefully itll stop pouring and I can yank my timing cover and see if the timing is still on. If one of the idlers seized could it make one of the cams or crank gear jump a tooth or two? The belt seems tight and turns while cranking but it seems to crank a little wierd... like its harder to turn the engine. Thanks for the ideas Tom
Your battery may just be dying from all the test cranking of the motor. I'm with Tom thinking it's more likely a sensor/electrical issue, not a physical/mechanical problem.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Your battery may just be dying from all the test cranking of the motor. I'm with Tom thinking it's more likely a sensor/electrical issue, not a physical/mechanical problem.
I'm 90% sure it is a sensor. But the hard part is finding what sensor.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles