Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-16-2008, 02:57 AM

Unhappy SVX Cutting out .......

Hi, I am a new member from England....1992 jap import spec ...Wonderful car but has recently caused problems..............Drives and keeps cutting out..will restart and then may continue or cut out again....on expressways will happily go at 2500revs but when power is applied will kick back and either cut out or by full throttle drive through problem......will restart and either be okay for a while or cut out in jam or red lights.....it just getting worse.

Repair shops in England run a mile with the SVX....please help
Reading all tech stuff ....MAF....jumps out but need feedback that I am on right track
Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
First

First, I would recommend doing a search in the How-To Documents section here and see how to pull error codes. It might point you in the right direction without spending any money. It is a fairly simple procedure and may save you big buck---whoop pounds.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by constantine8200 View Post
Hi, I am a new member from England....1992 jap import spec ...Wonderful car but has recently caused problems..............Drives and keeps cutting out..will restart and then may continue or cut out again....on expressways will happily go at 2500revs but when power is applied will kick back and either cut out or by full throttle drive through problem......will restart and either be okay for a while or cut out in jam or red lights.....it just getting worse.

Repair shops in England run a mile with the SVX....please help
Reading all tech stuff ....MAF....jumps out but need feedback that I am on right track
Constantine

First off, welcome to the Network!

As Lee says, a good start is to check for error codes. It is simple to do, and you may find that one or more sensors could be faulty or out of range.

Don't panic or despair, the problem could be simple to fix when you get down to it.

Also don't start firing parts at it unless you have been thorough in checking what may be wrong.

Tell us a bit more about the car. What miles are on it? Does it still read in kilometres, or have you had it converted? Are you the first UK owner? Is the chassis number CXW or CXD?

Just like you have figured out, a bad MAF can cause bad running and stalling. So can a number of other things, such as bad crank sensor. Another thing that can go wrong is the coils. Each plug has it's own HT coil. As they get older the insulation can break down and they will cause misfire. Currently one of mine is kaput.

Check the error codes first and report back with what you find. If you have trouble working out how to read them, just ask and we'll do our best to help.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl