Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Stuck Key

Hi. I am new to this forum, infact new to svx's. I bought mine (a 92 lsl) 3 years ago from an auction. Turned out tranny was shot. Sent it to a tranny guy, who kept delaying repair, so 2 years ago sent it to another guy. To cut a long story short, got the car back today(fixed), though because of delay tranny guy did it for free. I seem to have a problem though. The key is stuck in the ignition and will just not come out. Is there a button to press to take key out as in some other japanese makes? I could not find any button anywhere. Car dangerously vunerable in the drive with key in. Thanks
Adam
Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Is the steering wheel locked? Try turning the steering wheel a little bit and see if that free's up the key. A dead battery has also caused some to be unable to remove the key.

Ah - I just re-read - the key will not come out with the transmission in drive. If you can't get it out of drive push the shift lock button on the center console just in front of the shifter and while you are holding that in, shift into park. Then try to take the key out.

If all else fails, there is a small metal pin under the steering column cover that when pushed in will release the key.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 PM

re: key stuck

The battery is dead. Maybe that is the problem then. Wow. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of that. If all else fails, where on the steering column is that pin? Would I have to take column off? Would I have to keep using this method?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
No dissaembly needed. Get on your back with your head near the pedals and look up. There is a little switch there that will get the key out. Once you know where it is its a cinch to repeat
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM

Happened to me once. Previous poster is correct although I remember it being a pin instead of a switch. There is a diagram of it somewhere in one of the shop manuals.