Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
WOO HOO! Seats are in and picking them up tomorrow! Brackets...still waiting.

The handling changes are subtle so far. Minimal increase in road noise with the rear sway bar mods (PU frame mount, aluminum bushings, new end links) but I'm unsure of the effects of the reduced compliance at this time. I did raise the ride height 15mm per corner per all y'all's recommendations and I like that change. Brake changes are very nice I'm getting the fluid flushed and replaced tomorrow and tonight I hope to have the horns remounted...coulda used them today
Todd,
First thing I did to my rear bar was replace the rubber bushings with aluminum and I have to say I never noticed any significant difference. Things didn't start to happen until I went to a bigger bar.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thumbs up What A Blast!

Had a blast and got a lot of info stuffed in to my little head last weekend. Car performed very well and got some nice compliments from the instructors who drove it (first one of these I've seen at one of our classes-from the founder, nice wide powerband, and very good grip). Lotsa runs (~ 30 the first day, 20 or so the second) and great instruction from Jean Kinser and Robert Carpenter, both national champion autocross folks. Class had 12 students and a wide variety of cars (A3, 914, STix2, WRX wagon, Focus SVT, V-6 Camaro, Cougar, 996 Turbo, Lotus Elise, MGB, SRT4, GTO, etc). The harnesses, reinstalled Koni inserts, Porterfield pads/stainless steel lines, fine tuned alignment with 1.75 degress negative camber and fine-tuned toe really helped. Power steering issue-no boost at low speed and high-rate of steering input-raised it's head again on Saturday but was not a factor on Sunday. This apparently was a common issue with other cars from our vintage (Probe, MX-6, Prelude) when autocrossing according to the instructors. Killed the Hankooks on Saturday (they were used with 4/32's when I left-probably removed 3/32's from them-mostly on front-GO FIGURE???) and stayed with the Bridgestones (STi spec RE-070's) on Sunday which all who drove her agreed were a better fit for the car. The school recorded times on Saturday and by the end of the day, I was matching the instructors times in my car...the STi's, Lotus, and 996 were still beating me by well over 3 seconds on a mid-30 second course but I thought the old girl showed well. Instructors both felt that another 1-2 seconds could be dialed out of her with more experience/tuning/optimization. I think left-foot braking may become my next weapon.

I hope to have the seat brackets this week to get the Recaros installed and then Stage 1v5 to get ready for the Subaru Challenge in Lafayette at the plant (y0-SVX repreSENT!!) With that, I'm done with mods for the season though the $100 Bridgestone rebate on RE-01r's in 245/40-17 is really haunting me right now

Todd
Todd
Old 08-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Good day yesterday for AutoX. Two events with the same group, two first place finishes in STX

I ran with another MI group yesterday as I'm getting ready for a Detroit event later this month. 9 runs on a short course run twice (two laps). Took first place in STX in the morning session by almost three seconds and in the afternoon by over four seconds. Unfortunately, Detroit region events will have me re-setting my expectations however as the top two cars are trailer queens set to KILL.

New 245 RE-01R's are very nice but interestingly almost the same width as my 225 RE-070's (STi tires) hmmm. Like them both but the RE-01r are much quieter. I need to install Stage 1v.5 this week and try and fit my other Recaro.

Interesting comment from a Lotus driver as he and I watched a very modded STi complete his run about 1 second faster then me..."I didn't think the SVX was supposed to be that fast " I smiled.

Todd
Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Todd,
okay, now you're starting to scare me Great job!!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 08-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Todd,
okay, now you're starting to scare me Great job!!
-Bill
No reason to be scared Bill

While a win is a win, competition was far from the normal caliber of the guys I run against. I was looking for pure seat time and got my fix. Just sharpening my skills as smack is being talked already for my upcoming event the last weekend in August. I need to re-set some WRX drivers expectations of what 3.3l of slushbox equipped, great looking Subaru can do They don't expect much from me. I intend to disapoint them .

I don't expect to get a win at this event but I hope to tighten up my times compared to the two guys I expect to battling for 1st and 2nd place in their fully set-up WRX's. Both of these guys have almost as much in their suspension as I paid for my car. Add their big brake kits, shaved tires, greater WHP, lighter weight and Nationals experience and I can't expect a win. I just need to pull my times in closer to theirs.

Todd
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
No reason to be scared Bill

While a win is a win, competition was far from the normal caliber of the guys I run against. I was looking for pure seat time and got my fix. Just sharpening my skills as smack is being talked already for my upcoming event the last weekend in August. I need to re-set some WRX drivers expectations of what 3.3l of slushbox equipped, great looking Subaru can do They don't expect much from me. I intend to disapoint them .

I don't expect to get a win at this event but I hope to tighten up my times compared to the two guys I expect to battling for 1st and 2nd place in their fully set-up WRX's. Both of these guys have almost as much in their suspension as I paid for my car. Add their big brake kits, shaved tires, greater WHP, lighter weight and Nationals experience and I can't expect a win. I just need to pull my times in closer to theirs.

Todd
Todd,
Keep at it! I'm in the same situation in ESP with the Camaros and Mustangs. Just getting within a second or two is a victory!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thanks Bill. I've been in constant contact with my driving instructors from my recent Evo school for their confidence boosters. The Detroit region is looking to have an Evo school in September and I will take it as well. I'm serious about this and having a blast!

Todd
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks Bill. I've been in constant contact with my driving instructors from my recent Evo school for their confidence boosters. The Detroit region is looking to have an Evo school in September and I will take it as well. I'm serious about this and having a blast!

Todd

Todd,
Are you seeing any significant compression with the coilovers? I'm getting 295/35 A6s mounted on 9" Cobra rims for use on the SVreX II, hoping that there won't be enough body motion to allow the fenders to come in contact with the tires
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

I can check travel later today for you Bill. I can say that since I have raised the car about 3/4" from it's initial setting it now handles and rides better. I am sure I was using the bump stops (Koni units) as springs when I initially installed the coli-overs. I am using 450F/250R spring rates and will probably up the rear rates in the near future. Ride is firm, but not as firm as my truck. I can see increasing the fronts as well but not right now.

I realize that I am still the biggest variable in my performance and I am working on me more than the car. These days I drive to the event, pump up the front tires and let 'er rip. I don't touch the inserts adjustment knobs or play with pressures after that.

Todd
Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

OK, this Sunday is the first "big" (aka Detroit region SCCA-~200 people) event since I have completed the Evolution school and gotten the suspension sorted and new tires, seats and harnesses installed. Big STX class and lots of friends and family coming out to spectate One of the two WRX guys that normally trounces me wrecked his car and is driving another WRX. The fastest WRX guy in these parts is attending with his trailer queen. I'm hoping for a trophy and a strong showing. Wish me luck!

Todd
Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
You're going to need a strong knife... those trailer tires have thick sturdy sidewalls

Best of luck, just concentrate on the lessons from school that showed the most benefit

And remember we're all counting on you to make us proud Don't let us down hehehe
Old 08-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Go Todd!! Look ahead, look ahead, look ahead!!!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thanks Bill and Dave I'll give it my all tomorrow...and bring my cordless drill

Those bugeye WRX's weigh about 500# less than my L AWD and then the strip out the entire AC system, drop $3-$4000 on suspension and trailer them. Yikes!

My best bet is to remember the lessons and give'em hell.

Todd
Old 08-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
A certain member that can't post right now wanted to wish you well at the AX, so I'll pass on those wishes for him/her...
Old 08-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
A certain member that can't post right now wanted to wish you well at the AX, so I'll pass on those wishes for him/her...

I thought "BanBoy" would be too busy finishing up his daughter's play house to read posts?
-Bill

My Locker