Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
The Detroit Region SCCA season opener was yesterday. With 215 people registered it was a LONG day (got to the event at 7:20am and left at 6:15pm). I run STX originally due to 17" wheels and tires but now due to the Koni/GC and other bits. While I was soundly beaten by two very nicely modified WRX's (over 3.5 seconds separated 2nd place and my best time), I did take third place

Not bad for the slushbox equipped nose heavy beast that she is

I did this event on my heavier wheels/RE-070's which have a very different character from my STi BBS/Hankooks. Next event will be on these wheels/tires plus a few more things to further separate me from 4th place.

Todd
Todd,

Nice!! Think of how much faster it will be dual adjustable Konis

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

I'm wondering how much better it will be with adjustable camber-caster plates Bill

Todd
Old 05-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Congrats, Todd. That's a great finish *thumbs up*

How'd it feel with the RE070's?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hiya Mat!

The RE's have much stiffer sidewalls than the Hankooks so they really helped turn-in. However, the absolute grip is less and they are almost fully treaded versus the minimally treaded RS-2's and lighter weight wheels. I think the higher spring rate (GC's) with the Hankooks will be a nice combination. The reduced diameter also helps with gear ratio.

Only the future will tell!

Todd

BTW-Loren was out in his Legacy GT too.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Not bad for the slushbox equipped nose heavy beast that she is
Todd
Todd, a big yes for sure.

Do not be afraid to try very large differences in tyre pressure, front/rear, with the front way up. You obviously know how to drive, so make the beast handle as lively as is possible and trust yourself.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thanks Trevor

I brought front tire pressure up to 44psi and rears to 38psi. Fronts did not roll over (paint mark showed I used all of the tread surface available) and backs did not either. I have a number of things I need to modify/optimize, the first being the nut behind the wheel

-alignment-I'd like more static negative camber and possibly a toe change as the car tracks rutted roads too much. Camber bolts will help, strut mount replacement is preferred.
-anti-sway bars and bushings-I'd like to increase front sway bar dia. to reduce the still significant understeer without resorting to dramatically increased front spring rates as the car is still used for road trips. The bushes are 12 year old OEM Japanese rubber and as such, in need of replacement.
-better seat and proper harnesses to hold me in place without having to brace against the car.
-various power legal mods-just because

Todd
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Chad, what rates are you running on the coilovers? 380/315?

Tom
Old 05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
I'm wondering how much better it will be with adjustable camber-caster plates Bill

Todd

Killer with both, no doubt
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 05-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Todd,
You should be able to get -1.75 deg out of the stock front camber bolts. Aftermarket rear camber bolts will get you -1.5 deg. This is what I'm running this season with the 275s.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Chad, what rates are you running on the coilovers? 380/315?

Tom
No Tom, I got 450F/300R from GC. I didn't spec them, this is just what I got from them. However, the Koni bump stops are pretty long and I believe that when cornering, my rates increase considerably
Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
No Tom, I got 450F/300R from GC. I didn't spec them, this is just what I got from them. However, the Koni bump stops are pretty long and I believe that when cornering, my rates increase considerably
Todd,

Ouch! I think you must be running the highest front GC rate of any SVX around The 'reX only has 385 on the front, which was the highest front rate I knew of up to this point.

-Bill

My Locker
Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks Trevor

I brought front tire pressure up to 44psi and rears to 38psi. Fronts did not roll over (paint mark showed I used all of the tread surface available) and backs did not either. I have a number of things I need to modify/optimize, the first being the nut behind the wheel

-alignment-I'd like more static negative camber and possibly a toe change as the car tracks rutted roads too much. Camber bolts will help, strut mount replacement is preferred.
-anti-sway bars and bushings-I'd like to increase front sway bar dia. to reduce the still significant understeer without resorting to dramatically increased front spring rates as the car is still used for road trips. The bushes are 12 year old OEM Japanese rubber and as such, in need of replacement.
-better seat and proper harnesses to hold me in place without having to brace against the car.
-various power legal mods-just because

Todd
As I previously noted, you again confirm that you know what you are doing. Tyres, rolling/distorting under cornering side loads, must be avoided as a number one. Some who are badly guided fit tyres over specification to normal width wheels, which is bad, bad news. I have gone the opposite and have narrower larger section tyres on the standard wheels. This does not change the rolling diameter but straightens up the sidewalls. A drivers car is always my desire, and the handling is much more responsive.

Big yes on the sway bar and specially the bushings. Bugger any noise or harshness, you do not want any delay in the response to roll resistance.

Another yes on some negative camber to stop tyre roll. In point of fact I have found that in moderation, this can assist tyre wear, (outside edges) particularly in round town driving, with many abrupt right angle corners.

Good one on the seat also. Straight arms and feel the car through your back side. The only way to go.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-10-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Todd,

Ouch! I think you must be running the highest front GC rate of any SVX around The 'reX only has 385 on the front, which was the highest front rate I knew of up to this point.

-Bill

450/315 on the silver... rides great

Tom
Old 05-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

I picked up a FREE set of 225/45-17 RE070's last night ( to Billl) with over 50% tread life left. Gotta love the STi guys I'm selling these to another STi guy to fund some further mods to the SVX.

Brake lines in soon and two autoX events Memorial Day weekend. Woo Hoo!

Last edited by wawazat??; 05-14-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
I picked up a FREE set of 225/45-17 RE070's last night ( to Billl) with over 50% tread life left. Gotta love the STi guys I'm selling these to another STi guy to fund some further mods to the SVX.

Brake lines in soon and two autoX events Memorial Day weekend. Woo Hoo!

I hate you!
-Bill
p.s. put a message in to Mark at DMS about the camber/caster plates. You still interested in a set?
p.p.s just got a full set of 295/35-17 A6s with ~70% wear left -- now I just have to find a set of 9.5-10" wide rims so the 'reX II can come out and play

My Locker