Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-05-2006, 09:29 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycho
So, first real snow has fallen up here ... I havn't been able to get up the hill to my house last night

It is now official, I getting absolutely no power to rear wheels

and by the way, while trying to get home, I got the TCU code 32 - VSS1

The power light do not flash anymore but I can still get the code using the «previous code retrieval procedure».

I already changed my front speed sensor 1 month ago (Vss2 - in the torque converter). This time I had absolutly no symptoms like the first time, no freaky speedo. Is somebody can tell me if the VSS1 can be related to my AWD problem ?

I can't find any info on the VSS1, where is it and how can I check it ?

Thanks for your help

Frank
As you have had no direct information regarding the above, I will try to assist. My problem is that my car is a JDM and the manuals I have do not cover the US model, which has a centre clutch in lieu of a differential. There is also a variation in the position of the speed sensors.

That said it would appear that in both systems, VSS1 is used to sense rear wheel speed and forms part of the AWD control system. However the hydraulic systems in general are designed to be fail safe and therefore it would appear that failure of an electrical signal from VSS1, should not cause power to be completely absent from the rear, as you report.

I would say that all in all, you cannot discount VSS1 as a suspect item and should include same within any diagnosis.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
As you have had no direct information regarding the above, I will try to assist. My problem is that my car is a JDM and the manuals I have do not cover the US model, which has a centre clutch in lieu of a differential. There is also a variation in the position of the speed sensors.

That said it would appear that in both systems, VSS1 is used to sense rear wheel speed and forms part of the AWD control system. However the hydraulic systems in general are designed to be fail safe and therefore it would appear that failure of an electrical signal from VSS1, should not cause power to be completely absent from the rear, as you report.

I would say that all in all, you cannot discount VSS1 as a suspect item and should include same within any diagnosis.
Thanks for the reply,

For now, I'm trying to find electric diagram to figure out how I could test the signal from the TCU to the Selenoid C. Is somebody can help me
4,44 Gear Ratio
Shift Kit
Energy Suspension everywhere
Old 12-07-2006, 08:01 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

For now, I'm trying to find electric diagram to figure out how I could test the signal from the TCU to the Selenoid C. Is somebody can help me
There is a very recent thread covering the use of a diode in the solenoid C circuit by way of indication. Check it out.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
There is a very recent thread covering the use of a diode in the solenoid C circuit by way of indication. Check it out.
I just checked the resistance of my sol C. at 11.7 ohm, it is supposed to be good.

So I'll have look at the TCU signal. Then if everything seems to be good, it will only remains the mechanical parts, and that means opening the rear housing to take a look to the clutch pack.

Is this all good or I'm missing something ?

EDIT: I tested the pin 4 and 11 on the same connector but TCU side instead of trans side. I'm reading 2.4V without the FWD Fuse and 2.6V with the FWD Fuse.
Is there any conclusion I can make with those reading ? TCU seams to throw 2 different signal ... looks OK to me but ... not sure
4,44 Gear Ratio
Shift Kit

Last edited by mycho; 12-09-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
I just checked the resistance of my sol C. at 11.7 ohm, it is supposed to be good.

So I'll have look at the TCU signal. Then if everything seems to be good, it will only remains the mechanical parts, and that means opening the rear housing to take a look to the clutch pack.

EDIT: I tested the pin 4 and 11 on the same connector but TCU side instead of trans side. I'm reading 2.4V without the FWD Fuse and 2.6V with the FWD Fuse.
Is there any conclusion I can make with those reading ? TCU seams to throw 2 different signal ... looks OK to me but ... not sure
I think you can be fairly sure that the electrical side of the C solenoid/transfer is working OK. If there is a problem there, it will post a code. As you don't have a code posted, I would look at the transfer valve for the problem.
I would plan on fitting a new C Solenoid/transfer valve assemble, and a set of clutch plates. This will cover 99% of the causes of the trouble.

Do a search on replacing the C solenoid. Its not too hard or expensive.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

[Edit reference] I would presume the engine was not running, or the transmission engaged, when you did the test. If so all OK. If not something is suspect.

Last edited by Trevor; 12-09-2006 at 04:23 PM. Reason: "Edit reference" added.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
[Edit reference] I would presume the engine was not running, or the transmission engaged, when you did the test. If so all OK. If not something is suspect.
Yes, since the harness was not connected, it was not possible to start the car.

Looking further, I tested the resistance of my rear speed sensor ... between 500 and 600 ohm so I think it's ok.

I also try to put a switch on the brown wire of the Trans harness (the one that control the Sol C). Cutting power to the sol C is suppose to give 50/50 all the time ... no chance, still no power on the rear wheels.

So now I think every electrical components tested OK ... it must be mechanical.
4,44 Gear Ratio
Shift Kit