Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Blinding Side View Mirrors

Im not sure if anyone else experiences this or not..When im driving on the highway and cars are behind me it seems impossible to adjust my mirrors or my seat enough to get there headlights out of my eyes and still be able to see whats going on behind me. I noticed on the SVX that the mirrors seem lower than average cars. Has anyone tried experimenting with some sort of spacer? or maybe a different tint of glass? Convex/Concave? Im on 95 alot so I normally have headlights in my face...and its not from driving on the wrong side of the road

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
We are just too low

What you are seeing is the stupid SUV's with their headlights adjusted to hit us smack dab in the eyes...
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 03-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
A while back someone mentioned a way of adjusting your mirrors so that you could see the blind spots better. You adjust them so they are looking further out away from the car than normal and you can see the car to your right or left when they start to leave your mirror. This also helps with the blinding lights.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 03-06-2006, 09:40 PM
<<<Alcyone

Buy a set of JDM Power Folding Mirrors . . .

Dan
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
you can always mod in some guns under the spoiler or something to shoot headlights down.
i've thought about putting some fog lights back there , aiming backwards to traffic from behind
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 03-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
A while back someone mentioned a way of adjusting your mirrors so that you could see the blind spots better. You adjust them so they are looking further out away from the car than normal and you can see the car to your right or left when they start to leave your mirror. This also helps with the blinding lights.
Earl, that was me. Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=mirrors

For years, we'd been setting our sideview mirrors so that they gave us a view of the back corner of our cars. This is the way it's been done for generations.

But we finally discovered something very interesting. The back corner of the car never moves. It always stays in the same exact place. So there's really no reason to keep an eye on it.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
I get blinded from all three mirrors. The power motor in the drivers mirror is stuck and it doesnt adjust well. Its starts to get to a good point makes this awful click and goes back to where it was. Its normally not too bad unless i get a moron who feels the need to sit 2 inches off my rear bumper and then cant figure out why i'm starting to slow down on a curvy, country 1 lane road. I've seen enough deer out there to know that if i cant see i better slow down.

Anyone have the issue of having a truck or suv coming towards you and sitting right at eye level with their lights? Thats what really bothers me b/c one eye is fine and the other is seeing spots (my good eye no less)
Old 03-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I hate being blinded by SUVs and trucks. I am very happy with having installed an auto dimming rear view mirror. Would have been nice if SVX had all three mirrors auto dim from the factory. Being that the car is so low compard to SUVs and trucks.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I have my driver's side mirror adjusted out so I can see what would normally be in my blind spot. Unfortunately, the passenger mirror doesn't adjust out far enough.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed
I get blinded from all three mirrors. The power motor in the drivers mirror is stuck and it doesnt adjust well. Its starts to get to a good point makes this awful click and goes back to where it was.
My rant is when parked in a Q for traffic lights, an SUV from behind will have it's lights so high off the road, they are flooding my car interior, even on dip. I regard it as dangerous, and I wonder if there are any regulations that specify how high off the road a vehicle is allowed to have the main lights.
[I know most of the problem is that we're low, but these big heaps of metallic lard compound the problem]

Dreaming of Speed, you may be able to adjust your mirror, but I take no responsibility if you break it while doing this, OK?

The motor only moves the glass so far back and forward.[or up and down also] In your case, the glass is not centred correctly. Use the switch to move the glass left to right, then right to left, then stop where you think the middle position is. Now sit in the car, and gauge how far off position the mirror is, for looking straight back. [It will be showing too much of the car, or too much of the roadside, so it will need to be moved out, or in.]

Now, step out of the car, and hold the mirror frame in both hands, with your thumbs on the centre left and centre right of the mirror glass. Press firmly with the thumb that will bring the mirror back to correct alignment, in or out, depending what you found out above. You will be rotating the mirror glass clockwise or anticlockwise, depending which way your mirror needs to go to show the road behind.

Obviously don't press so hard that the glass breaks. Wear gloves if in doubt. What should happen, the mirror will move into the correct position for you, and you will hear the clicks that you mentioned above. Sit back in the car, and see if you are now looking straight back. If it is, and this position is the centre of the motor's range of movement, you will now have the best selection of change positions that the switch can give.

I've done this and I know it works, just be careful not to exert too much pressure and break it if it's not moving for you.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-07-2006, 05:10 PM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
you can always mod in some guns under the spoiler or something to shoot headlights down.
i've thought about putting some fog lights back there , aiming backwards to traffic from behind
I was also thinking about a couple of 1.5million candle power lights. there only like 20 bux a piece.

I checked the positioning of my mirrors and both of them are as far down and out as far as they can go. I even tried pushing on them to make them go out further with no suich luck. I still see horizon when I would think being all the way down all it should show me is road. Maybe there just effed up? Im going to try to find one of them there high line cars with the blue tinted ones. Maybe some nissan would interchange? Ive had the blue ones before and miss them. there should be some kind of aftermarket tint for them.

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 03-07-2006, 06:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
hey, would it be possible to have SUV lights located at sedan places?
if so, why don't car manufacturers do that because those SUVs blind everybody else, for me its not just in the SVX, its in my legacy.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:41 PM
word words wording

Night Sunglasses

http://glareeliminator.com/index.html

looks like people can get these cool things or buy some glare glasses.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Or you could tint the whole window and not have a "patch" job
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 03-08-2006, 11:14 AM
word words wording

Tint

I havent seen a svx with tinted windows yet. im afraid it will blend the window line too much and I loose what people look at most. Ive seen a 95 and it looked like it had a bronze glass. That looked good is that stock? maybe if I use a highly reflective tint it would look good but then ill run the risk of getting pulled over even more.