SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
New life for EG33?

In regard to Subaru's new 7 seat SUV being introduced at NAIAS this year.

The B9X's power will come from Subaru's signature 3.0L H6 boxer engine, tuned to deliver 250HP (the 3.0L H6 is the same basic engine used in the current Legacy) and may receive a displacement increase to 3.3L by the 2008 model year.

So, whaddya think...is this our beloved 3.3's return??
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 01-06-2005, 04:17 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
No. When Subaru came out with their new 3.0 H-6, they were quite proud of it. It is lighter and shorter than ours, and nothing interchanges .
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
No. When Subaru came out with their new 3.0 H-6, they were quite proud of it. It is lighter and shorter than ours, and nothing interchanges .
Did you mention louder clanking up front too with that chain? How bout the lack of two extra cams. Overall I'd take the new 6 in a heartbeat over the 2.5 turbo though.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: New life for EG33?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
In regard to Subaru's new 7 seat SUV being introduced at NAIAS this year.

The B9X's power will come from Subaru's signature 3.0L H6 boxer engine, tuned to deliver 250HP (the 3.0L H6 is the same basic engine used in the current Legacy) and may receive a displacement increase to 3.3L by the 2008 model year.

So, whaddya think...is this our beloved 3.3's return??
I don't think so, no company uses an old engine in a newer version, especially after 18 years. Its rather a tuned 3.0L...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:05 AM

poopy. Have y'all seen the B9X yet? It's hideous
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 01-07-2005, 09:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: New life for EG33?

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

I don't think so, no company uses an old engine in a newer version, especially after 18 years. Its rather a tuned 3.0L...
18 years?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Re: Re: Re: New life for EG33?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

18 years?
dog years?
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Ciscokid

Quote:
poopy. Have y'all seen the B9X yet? It's hideous

Man, I am starting to feel more and more like I am the only one who doesn't think it looks too bad.

I am still waiting to see it in person to decide if I really like it, the interior looks small in the pics but the exterior isn't that bad.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:36 PM

judge for yourselves

Old 01-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

There were some that thought the SVX was UGLY. I have heard rumors of a H-8...!!! 4.0 perhaps? I'd rather see that than a chevy V8.
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 01-08-2005, 09:19 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
judge for yourselves

Kinda sorta reminds me of a murano mixed with a cayenne.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-09-2005, 03:15 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Re: Re: New life for EG33?

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

I guess the GM 3800, Quad4 and LS motors are going on 12 years and right now pumping out 500hp without breaking a sweat. Even though Ford there are difference in the heads, intake and exhaust manifold are different in the 5.0 and 4.6l used up until the 05 Mustang, the cams and basic block are about the same. Also, if you want an example of non-American cars would is the Mazda rotary, at least up until the Renesis. They managed to start out with 110hp and by the 3rd generation managed to get 255hp out of that mechanically same one rotor. And despite the drastic technological changes the Nissan RB series went through, the mechanics and even liters are the same. except for the R-34.

So even with the inception of the ECU, intercooler and variable valve timing. The spark plugs and basic mechanics of the pistons, fuel injectors and ect are just the same. Also you have to remember the EG33 is unlike any other Subaru engine and is pretty the only thing that holds it back from being a decent engine is the way the ECU is programmed. Other than that, with a change of heads, updated ECU and variable valve timing it can turn out to be quite an outstanding engine, with even a boost in fuel economy. I mean through modernization they even made the Hemi in the 300C break the 20mpg not only in highway, which is 28, but also in city as well.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Tofu

"I guess the GM 3800, Quad4 and LS motors are going on 12 years and right now pumping out 500hp without breaking a sweat."

The Quad 4 hasn't been used in years. The 3800 has been around for a long time, but is now being slowly replaced as the platforms it powers are being replaced.

"Even though Ford there are difference in the heads, intake and exhaust manifold are different in the 5.0 and 4.6l used up until the 05 Mustang, the cams and basic block are about the same."

Theres is absolutely nothing between the old 302 and the 4.6 that is the same except for the fact that they both come from Ford.

"Also, if you want an example of non-American cars would is the Mazda rotary, at least up until the Renesis. They managed to start out with 110hp and by the 3rd generation managed to get 255hp out of that mechanically same one rotor."

There is also virtually nothing the same between a 12A and the twin turbo 13B last seen in the FD3S. For good measure, the Renesis shares nothing with the 12A or the 13B.

"And despite the drastic technological changes the Nissan RB series went through, the mechanics and even liters are the same. except for the R-34. "

The RB26 lasted from about 1989 to 2001. Only twelve years. It shares very little parts commonality with the preceding RB-series engines.

"So even with the inception of the ECU, intercooler and variable valve timing. The spark plugs and basic mechanics of the pistons, fuel injectors and ect are just the same. Also you have to remember the EG33 is unlike any other Subaru engine and is pretty the only thing that holds it back from being a decent engine is the way the ECU is programmed. Other than that, with a change of heads, updated ECU and variable valve timing it can turn out to be quite an outstanding engine, with even a boost in fuel economy."

That's exactly what the EZ30R in the new Legacy is. While it is not an updated EG33, it takes the basic design architecture of the EG33, and updates it for the times. That's how the car business works. It doesn't sit around and wait, just because a couple people feel warm happy fuzzy feelings towards the engines in their cars.

As an aside, the heads in the EZ30R are pretty fascinating. Either Subaru licensed the Variocam Plus system from Prosche, or they just outright copied it. I was looking at a 2005 Legacy service manual at work and noticed the diagrams for the AVLS. Just like Porsche, it uses cams with multiple lobes, a low rpm profile and a high rpm profile. The low rpm lobe is set between two high rpm lobes. In addition the lifter is sleeved; the low rpm lobe actuates the inner lifter and the two high rpm lobes actuate the outer lifter. At low throttle operation, the low rpm lobe actuates the inner lifter, which actuates the valve. The high rpm lobes press the outer lifter, which moves independently. At high rpm, a hydraulic piston locks the inner and outerlifters together, and the valve now follows the high rpm cam lobe profiles.

Given that the EZ30R has variable valve duration and lift, also uses AVCS (variable cam phase timing), has provision for displacement on demand, has a higher specific power output, more flexible power delivery, is more efficient, and carries much higher potential, I wouldn't be bemoaning the fact that Subaru isn't using updated EG33s, I'd be wondering how hard it would be to get an EZ30R into an SVX.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:37 PM
THAWA

2008-1992=16 :?

My incredibly uneducated guess would say it'd be easier to put an ez30 into a 96-97 svx than a 92-95. Someone ought to do this!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:06 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Even though the Quad4 was phased out close to 6 years ago, it has a good almost 20 year run. And as for the 3800, like I said before, it has been around for 30 years and is only being replaced now by a new 3.6l.

The EG33 might be a bit outdated when it comes to some things such as no AVLS heads compared to the EZ30R. But the only true reason it was discontinued is because Subaru figured they didn't need such a large displacement engine anymore, which is true at least until Subaru ever wants to produce a large displacement engine again. If not the entire engine is used, some aspects of it would definitely would if they ever want to create a H6 that is larger than 3.0l. The technological aspect I am thinking about is the type and way the belt and pulley are setup so it was possible for it to fit into the SVX's engine bay in the first place, which is no different in size compared to the Legacy. So even if the EG33 is never used a again, if that solution I mentioned above is used, or any other part including the 10:1 compression pistons, the EG33 would have served it 's purpose as a research milestone for design large displacement H6 engines.