Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 12-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
whoa thats a ton of info comming back to this thread! Anyways, it has been said that the SVX pistons are indeed slightly larger (Bore) than the Ej22t. Thats what i understand, SO why is should we not slightly overbore the EG33 to handle custom pistons that would go ahead and run a lower C/R? Why is everyone biting for the Ej22t? If you are buiolding an engine to run boost, you are going to spend a good deal of money, why chop yourself off at the knees and buy cheaper pistons? Your best bet, if boosting high levels, is to have custom pistons made for you. Not cheap but very effective and will prob cause less problems down the road.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
whoa thats a ton of info comming back to this thread! Anyways, it has been said that the SVX pistons are indeed slightly larger (Bore) than the Ej22t. Thats what i understand, SO why is should we not slightly overbore the EG33 to handle custom pistons that would go ahead and run a lower C/R? Why is everyone biting for the Ej22t? If you are buiolding an engine to run boost, you are going to spend a good deal of money, why chop yourself off at the knees and buy cheaper pistons? Your best bet, if boosting high levels, is to have custom pistons made for you. Not cheap but very effective and will prob cause less problems down the road.
Bingo.

I've said it before. Doing modifications of this type, you can't go cheap. Spend the money, do it right. Custom pistons aren't that expensive anyway.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
For myself, its more of an intellectual exercise. Obviously custom will be the way to go, but there may be bolt on equipment.

For instance, with Ford, if you take a 351 Windsor block and adapt on 351 Cleveland heads, you can get much more performance than either engine modded up on its own.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Piston facts.

Wow lot of confusion. The facts as I see them are, the EJ 2.2lt turbo pistons will fit the EG3.3 bore, they are the same bore size, the wrist pin height and offset will be the same, They have the same selective fit as the SVX.

The piston crown height is what controls the compression ratio, they did not change the combustion chamber volume on the EJ 2.2 when they built the turbo, they just fitted pistons with a lower cut out in the top of the piston. These pistons lowered the EJ 2.2 's, 9.4:1 ratio to the turbo's 8:1, a drop of 1.4. If these pistons were fitted to the EG 3.3, the compression ratio would drop from 10:1 to 8.6:1.

I know that the SVX pistons have a raised lump, of about 1 to 1.5 mm on them, instead of a cutout that the EJ2.2 has(according to Wayne), so our cylinder head volume may be larger (may be due to bigger valves?), but the Turbos pistons will still drop the ratio by 1.4:1 at least.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Maniac modifier

but with all pistons in the engine being different like that thread suggests, won't that throw a wrench in things?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:40 PM
SEA Sleeper

Re: Piston facts.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
Wow lot of confusion. The facts as I see them are, the EJ 2.2lt turbo pistons will fit the EG3.3 bore, they are the same bore size, the wrist pin height and offset will be the same, They have the same selective fit as the SVX.

The piston crown height is what controls the compression ratio, they did not change the combustion chamber volume on the EJ 2.2 when they built the turbo, they just fitted pistons with a lower cut out in the top of the piston. These pistons lowered the EJ 2.2 's, 9.4:1 ratio to the turbo's 8:1, a drop of 1.4. If these pistons were fitted to the EG 3.3, the compression ratio would drop from 10:1 to 8.6:1.

I know that the SVX pistons have a raised lump, of about 1 to 1.5 mm on them, instead of a cutout that the EJ2.2 has(according to Wayne), so our cylinder head volume may be larger (may be due to bigger valves?), but the Turbos pistons will still drop the ratio by 1.4:1 at least.

Harvey.
This is music to my ears. Thanks for the info Harvey!
Old 12-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
but with all pistons in the engine being different like that thread suggests, won't that throw a wrench in things?
The pistons used in Subarus are all selective fit. There are 3 different sizes, they varie by 0.0005". This is no problem, it is to ensure a much better fit than the US engines uses. The sizes of the cylinders is stamped od the top of the engine block, along with the sizes of the crankshaft bearings. that are also selective fit.

So when you are getting the EJ 2.2 turbo pistons, you order the A,B or C size, to suit the, A,B, or C bore size that your particular engine has. Not a problem.

Harvey.

Old 12-23-2004, 07:23 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

The pistons used in Subarus are all selective fit. There are 3 different sizes, they varie by 0.0005". This is no problem, it is to ensure a much better fit than the US engines uses. The sizes of the cylinders is stamped od the top of the engine block, along with the sizes of the crankshaft bearings. that are also selective fit.

So when you are getting the EJ 2.2 turbo pistons, you order the A,B or C size, to suit the, A,B, or C bore size that your particular engine has. Not a problem.

Harvey.
I am still not convinced, how does 9.69 cm bore pistons fit 9.99 cm ??? that's a difference of 0.3 cm... furthermore our engines are used, don't expect to see an exact 9.99 cm bore chamber in the block, itis rather 10 or10.05.....

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
... none of the subies are 9.999 they both are 9.69..

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-23-2004, 02:34 PM

I've attached a file that shows some of the specs...looks to me like the 92 turbo pistons would work, but then again I've never seen inside a Subaru engine so anything I think is highly suspect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (110.8 KB, 292 views)
Old 12-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
I've attached a file that shows some of the specs...looks to me like the 92 turbo pistons would work, but then again I've never seen inside a Subaru engine so anything I think is highly suspect.
Yes mate it does look like they will do the job. Though I would like to see the top of the 2.2 and 2.2T pistons to be sure. I have seen the top of the SVX pistons, and been told that the raised section is about 1.5 mm high. I would think the lower 9.4:1 comp 2.2 pistons would have a flat top, or a shallow cut-out in them, and the turbo pistons would have a deeper cut-out in them.

If someone with a fast connection could search for pics of the top of both 2.2 & 2.2T pistons, it would help in solving this quest.

Harvey.

Old 12-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
... none of the subies are 9.999 they both are 9.69..
are you sure??? because I heard it was rather 9.999..... not 9.69. If this is the case, I would bore the chamber to put the 9.96 cm pistons... better i think

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Maniac modifier

what is the stroke on the 2.2l motors? I am not sure if this popped up sooner (thats a whole lot of technical stuff) so if anyone could answer me that would be great. In eefect if the stroke for the 2.2Lt is too short, it could infact raise the C/R right? I would imagine it is a relative so just another wrench to throw into things
Old 12-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

This is just some random thinking on my part but it seems Subaru likes to keep things simple. If you cut two cylinders off the 2.2L motor you end up with 1.1L. With 1.1L/2cyl. you end up with 3.3L with six cylinders.

Much cheaper to build a 6 cyl motor based on an existing 4 cyl motor. Granted there are many differences, but exactly how many sililarities are there?
Old 12-24-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
what is the stroke on the 2.2l motors? ...snip...
see attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (211.7 KB, 170 views)