Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 12:26 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Well since i had to remove my exhaust system to change my flex plate i figured i might clear out my primary cat if its a good idea. Are there any ill effects to this? Will it free up some hp or at least sound deeper? Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 01:10 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187
Well since i had to remove my exhaust system to change my flex plate i figured i might clear out my primary cat if its a good idea. Are there any ill effects to this? Will it free up some hp or at least sound deeper? Thanks
Well, it will sound rattley and have a slight buzz to it (at least that's what I've heard from others that have done the same).
Old 02-20-2005, 01:27 PM
You're mine!!

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian

Well, it will sound rattley and have a slight buzz to it (at least that's what I've heard from others that have done the same).
If it is completely clear is shouldnt rattle (unless there are loose bolts) ... but i've never heard it on a svx before so i dont know.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:53 PM
deruvian

Quote:

If it is completely clear is shouldnt rattle (unless there are loose bolts) ... but i've never heard it on a svx before so i dont know.
Talk to some of the members that are running no cats. Most will tell you that there is a slight buzz/rattle at specific RPM ranges. I know that you're not running without all the cats, but by removing the innards of the primary (I'm assuming that you mean the 2>1 cat) you will probably have a little unwanted resonance.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:44 PM
You're mine!!

Do you know of any hp increases?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:42 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Do you know of any hp increases?
I never seen anyone post any resolvable before and after results. All I know is that it can increase your ponies a little, but reduce your torque as well.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:37 PM
You're mine!!

So is it worth it? Is the torque loss greater than the hp gain? Also, i am hooking up nitrous in a couple weeks if it makes a difference.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:49 PM
deruvian

Quote:
So is it worth it? Is the torque loss greater than the hp gain? Also, i am hooking up nitrous in a couple weeks if it makes a difference.
If you are absolutely sure that you are installing NOx in a few weeks, then by all means, remove/destroy the cat. Freer flowing exhaust is usually good with NOx, especially since the first cats are so close to the manifold. I would actually recommend removing/destroying those ones, unless you need to pass emissions. If so, do the next best and remove/destroy the third cat.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:55 PM
You're mine!!

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian

If you are absolutely sure that you are installing NOx in a few weeks, then by all means, remove/destroy the cat. Freer flowing exhaust is usually good with NOx, especially since the first cats are so close to the manifold. I would actually recommend removing/destroying those ones, unless you need to pass emissions. If so, do the next best and remove/destroy the third cat.
I have the system and i am going to install it as soon as i get some body work done. I heard that clearing the precats will mess with the O2 sensors which could be potentially harmful. Florida emmisions are easy to pass....we dont have an ozone anyways. Will i gain more hp and lose more torque by clearing the pre's? I am pretty certain in clearing the main cat but i dont know if i should mess with those.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:40 PM
You're mine!!

Well there have been quite a few precautions from most people so i think im gonna leave them and eventually get high flow cat and magnaflow exhaust later. I'll just have to spray and not get the full effect...