Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 01-29-2004, 03:03 AM
m.messenger

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
I don't really get it.......what do you ppl mean???
Do you think 6750rpm is HIGH ???????

I must have a complete different SVX , yes I must have!!

My redline is 6500 rpm, and if I floor it, it would go to that and sometimes beyond it, almost 7000rpm on the lower gears, before it shifts.

And I assure you, the engine has nothing in common with my other Subarus "5.600 max power rpm" behaivor.

I rockets off from 5000, pulling insanely to 6500, and still pulls hard to 7000rpm !! -and what a SONG !!

And I HAVE tried, many times that "shift up security rpm" thing...
but it's hard to precisely read the tacho, but around 7000 rpm it autmaticaly shifts up, whatever gear I have choosen.

Maybe the tach reads to high, I don't know, but what I DO know is that it pulls (in kickdown) to 230km/h or 145mph (GPS) and 6500rpm on the 3:rd, before the 4:th kicks in.

Maybe this explains why I have mesaured (with GPS) a speed of 275km/h (172 mph) AND STILL PULLING!!! (Poor guy in that Porsche )

/Sonny
Well..GPS doesn't lie so you must have dropped in the engine map from a Viggen fighter-jet... I bet the elk in your neighbourhood are a bit wary crossing the road.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:07 AM
crow_road75

Messenger,

I was thinking the same myself or perhaps the Swedish model had a secret re-heat option?? Admittedly, the SVX does *look* like it should be able to top 275kph

Jason
--
Old 01-29-2004, 03:22 AM

I am aware of the problem it arises to test the top speeds, but what happens if you guys "floor" it (kickdown mode) and measure the speed when the 4:th comes in?

My SVX does that in approx. 230km/h.

c'mon guys 230km/h is possible anywhere ... or ... ??
let us know your "shift-to-4:th-gear-speed" .

...or should I interpret this as my SVX acually IS "different" ??

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 01-29-2004, 03:30 AM

I also have this "mysteriuos" layout on my console.

check http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Sonar/14598.jpg

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 01-29-2004, 03:36 AM

Wink

That's exactly the arrangement of mine.

Tone
Old 01-29-2004, 03:39 AM
m.messenger

Sonar, or perhaps I might now call you Sonic, please, next tme you are researching the 275kph limits, could you get your co-pilot to photo record the needle going off the clock at 260kph, and also confirm that you aren't running 22" rims and PZeros.

Meanwhile I will enter into meaningful discussions with my driving licence about testing your data.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:47 AM
m.messenger

Quote:

The Ant-enna rear wing aerial combines with the rear window glass aerial to do AM and FM according to signal strength, but I wouldnt put your rear wing aerial up at the speeds you do - it might cause drag or break off! I replaced the wing aerial on both cars with a rear roof mounted whip - quite a sensitive drilling-the-metal moment, but they look great and can now easily be changed for a digital model.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:53 AM
crow_road75

Question

Quote:
...or should I interpret this as my SVX acually IS "different" ??[/i]
230 kmh - 142.9 mph :
275 kmh - 170.0 mph :

The Subaru SVX top speed is (from the manual): 230 kmh / 130 mph
Theoretical top speed is: approx 180 mph

Are you saying you've driven at a proven (GPS) 170 mph?

Quote:

Identical to mine - though mine is RHD.

Jason
--
Old 01-29-2004, 04:11 AM
Phil & Belha

172mph!!!

Was this on a steep downhill? How long did it take you to get to that speed?

Just wondering whether Sweden has particularly rich fuel and extremely cold dense air.

Phil.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:14 AM
m.messenger

I've done 140-145 lots but not by wellying the box, so the official top speed is very conservative - maybe any more at the time of launch would have looked a bit rash/vulgar/ostentatious/controversial.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:32 AM
crow_road75

Messenger,

Again I agree with you, I've had over 150 mph *indicated* when I was on the Autoroute in France, I chickened out just after that, though I suspect there was a bit more there...

Though if you think about it, our Japanese "Cousins" are famous for being very conservative about top speeds and amount of power that their engines produce, e.g. the alledged 280 bhp output from the Nissan Skyline GTR (where it's a well documented fact that the V-Spec produces 320 bhp off the production line! ).

I just stand by my original statement that 170 mph is a little over the top!

That said...

<misty eyed fantasy dream mode>

Imagine a twin sequential OEM turbocharged SVX *drool* - I'd love to lunch a 911 turbo off the lights...

</misty eyed fantasy dream mode>
Old 01-29-2004, 04:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Question

Sounds like your engine is pretty healthy!

Maybe a previous owner blueprinted or did some other work on the engine. Have not heard of anyone ever getting over 150, even in the press cars back in '92.

Why don't you stick your car on a dyno, if you can find a 4wd one, and see what your power output is. GPS is accurate, and I believe everything you say, but I would have though you would need closer to 300 hp to pull that speed. At any rate, sounds like you have way more than the standard 230-235.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-29-2004, 07:13 AM

First of all : I HAVE TOLD YOU LIES !!!
I checked my notes from the "high speed" runs, and found that the 275km/h was NOT GPS, it was Speedo reading!!
The GPS figure on that run was 267km/h, sorry, my mistake!

Honestly I did believe that all SVX's had the same performance as mine obviusly have, outaccelerating both std. Legacy Turbos and WRX'es, so I did not feel that this top-speed was unusual or odd in same way, and did not reflect too much over it.

Many of my friends are Subaru fans, and has been so for many years, but there is no std. Subie among those who have anything to put against the my SVX, not in 0-100km/h or topspeed.

I don't know anyone having a STi, but I am sure that the STI outaccelrates the SVX to 100km/h.

The closest in top speed is one of my friends Porsche 911 RSR (-72?) with 260km/h GPS.
And in one test he COULD slipstream me in 267km/h, but when he tried a pass and at that moment breaked the "stream" he lost speed and had to pull back behind me.

About mods, NO I don't think anyone has tampered with this car, before me there was only one owner, a 77 year old lady!
And believe me, the car is in beautiful condition.

The only mod. done by me, is opened exhaust system, and that HAD some effects, the engine revs more happily in the higher zones and pulls much better over 5000rpm

After a whole life with racing machines and dragracing, and can tell when a machine is well tuned and in harmony, and my SVX certainly is! It sounds awesome when you rev it, and the "answer" to throttle, is as quick as a cobra-strike (indicating very high velocity of the gases)

And a example, if i cruise at 200-210km/h (Speedo) on a flat highway and no wind to talk about, I just have to use 30% throttle !!
Then if I "floor" it, it actually "kickdowns" to 3:rd !!!! ans starts to pull massively up to about 230km/h, and when the 4:th gear kicks in, you are litterly pushed into the seat , very impressive.

As soon as I mount my summer wheels in the spring, I'll be back with a "race cam" video to you "non believers"

PS. in my notes, I have written that I took a picture of the GPS "max speed" indication, I look for it, I promise!

/greetings , Sonny.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Phil & Belha

That's still 166mph .

I hope you find the photo.

Phil.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:18 AM
crow_road75

I'd certainly be interested in seeing the GPS report too, I'm planning on borrowing a unit from a friend of mine and calibrating my speedo - I've no idea how accurate it is, I get the general impression that they all read over slightly.

Wouldn't you need 'WR' rated tyres for that kind of speed?

AFAIK, no one makes 'WR' rated - 225/50/16 tyres, only 'Z' rated - up to 150 mph. I don't even think you can get P-Zeros for our standard wheels?

I do remember from maxing my SVX out though, how stable the car feels at speed...

Jason
--

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: