Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 PM

02 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS transmission compatibility

Ok guys, I've been looking for a donor car for a transmission for my 1992 svx for a while now. I happened to pick up a wrecked 2002 Impreza 2.5TS this morning for a sweet $375. I've done quite a bit of reading/searching on the subject but information on which exact model transmissions work is confusing and difficult to confirm. Does anyone know if this transmission will work or can be made to work? Parts-swapping, wiring, and clearancing with a dremel (as I've heard may need to be done on some rear ends) are no problem for me, just need to know if there's any major reason it can't be made to work with a little effort. I will have the whole car so even if I need to hack wiring that's no problem.

If it doesn't work, no big deal, I'm sure I'll get my money out of that car one way or another. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 02 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS transmission compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef View Post
Ok guys, I've been looking for a donor car for a transmission for my 1992 svx for a while now. I happened to pick up a wrecked 2002 Impreza 2.5TS this morning for a sweet $375. I've done quite a bit of reading/searching on the subject but information on which exact model transmissions work is confusing and difficult to confirm. Does anyone know if this transmission will work or can be made to work? Parts-swapping, wiring, and clearancing with a dremel (as I've heard may need to be done on some rear ends) are no problem for me, just need to know if there's any major reason it can't be made to work with a little effort. I will have the whole car so even if I need to hack wiring that's no problem.

If it doesn't work, no big deal, I'm sure I'll get my money out of that car one way or another. Thanks in advance.
Is the car a manual? then yes, if its an automatic then probably not.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Is the car a manual? then yes, if its an automatic then probably not.
It's automatic. Why not? Computer/wiring differences? Or physical/mechanical problems?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 PM

Computer and wiring are different, also the rear end will not accept the SVX axleshafts, and the rear axleshafts from the 2.5TS will not bolt into the SVX rear hubs. This means to get the correct gear ratio you would have to have the ring and pinion swapped from the 2.5TS diff into the SVX diff to match the transmission.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
Computer and wiring are different, also the rear end will not accept the SVX axleshafts, and the rear axleshafts from the 2.5TS will not bolt into the SVX rear hubs. This means to get the correct gear ratio you would have to have the ring and pinion swapped from the 2.5TS diff into the SVX diff to match the transmission.
Alrighty then, sounds like I need to get this Impreza driveable then to sell when everybody has their tax money. Thanks for the specifics, after studying the wiring diagrams some more I decided it could possibly be made to work but would be a lot more work and customization than it's worth. The incompatible rear ends is just icing on the cake. I figured it probably wouldn't work, but it was an opportunity buy with no time for further investigation before I made the bid. Still a good deal on the car, I think. Now I just need to decide whether to go through the trouble of putting that 5-speed I have laying around in, or to just buy the proper 4.44 AT.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The phase II 4EAT has been installed successfully before (Hocrest's I believe) but does require some wiring mods as I recall...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"