Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Found a lost SVX

5speed Specifics

I am looking to swap a WRX five speed into my 94 SVX. I found one for sale but its out of a bug eye(03) with a blown engine. The guy who is rebuilding his car is not going to use it when he puts a new engine in.

All the info I have about the trans... Out of a blown up vehicle, has type R gears in it, the type R gears were originally put in wrong but corrected regardlessly have unusual wear patterns on the teeth....

I went down to see it and asked him to put it in neutral, its complete and out of the car. I could spin the input shaft and both front wheel splines but I could not spin the tail shaft by hand at all.

I want to take it apart but I have never taken a Subaru trans apart. If the tail shaft does not spin is it even worth taking apart to look at the teeth? If I should take it apart what tips can you trans pros' give me? And Are there any places I can get a detailed schematic/ instructions on it?

Thanks!

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX
Re: 5speed Specifics

ya, depends on the price! the tail shaft if peice o cake to take off and put back on. there are about 8 bolts that hold it on, just remove them and inside you can see all the stuff! when you take off the Tail shaft, you have to remove the shifter bracket. it's just a roll pin so pound it out and that's it.
just don't get a too small of a punch or you'll flare it out. Pm me if you want the PDF service manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tailshaft.jpg (83.3 KB, 335 views)
Old 09-07-2009, 12:41 PM

hi the photo in the previous post is a good one of the transfer housing end shaft ,you say you cant turn the out put ,there not much ther to turn with out a end cut off a drive shaft like i have at work for doing clutches your finger dont have enough power to turn the center diff ,go back and slide the drive shaft in and turn it before tearing in to it
Old 09-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Found a lost SVX

Thanks to Superru I have a manual for it and will go check it out again with the added info. I will post about the outcome if this post is still going in two weeks.

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.