SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-24-2006, 06:06 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
why people hate PENNDOT

I've heard people say they hate Penndot and never known why until now. Late november I applied for a modified title for my vw rabbit. You need one of these if you change fuel types for an inspection station to give you an emissions exhempt sticker. "I" put a diesel motor in a gas car, so it has no catalytic converter. I sent the forms in late nov. and a "month" later they came back. You need to provide a reciept for the engine. Well the car I got the engine from was given to me because it was ready to break in half because it was 26 years old with more rust than metal. So I sent them the reciept for the title transfer. A "month" later it came back. Must provide a reciept for engine, I called and they said get a fake reciept. What! So I did. A month later it comes back. Must provide a reciept for labor. I even included a note that all labor was done by myself. It is now March and I'm ready to tear someones head off. They are sadistic. Will a 10 hour drive to the DMV cure this. How could it possibly take a month to process a form. This is what my tax dollars pay for? I picture them with their feet on the desk shoveling powdered donuts in their mouths while surfing the net occasionally doing work as thier boss walks by. I think this is the longest post I have ever made. Sorry for the rant.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Certified Porschephile

Why are you doing everything by mail? I would go to one of the regional DMV sites and complete the paperwork there. We have 3 that I know of close to the Lehigh Valley. Are you using a Tag and Notary place? Some of those places are shady at best. I'm sure you can find a site on their website. The address is on the blue, white, and yellow plates, but not any of the specialty tags. My wife has the Tiger plate and I have the Train one, so I can look out and get it for you.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Green1995SVX

Use a local 'eMessenger' service. They'll transmit the documentation to pendot electronically. It shaves weeks off of the time required to receive your stuff.

That being said, I deal with pendot on a regular basis, and they're just out of control! My favorite pendot bit is how the directions for replacing a lost title are printed on the title. "If this title is lost, file form blah blah blah for a replacment" Then, you go to fill out the form, and you have to have the title number! If I had the title number, that would mean i have the title, so why would i be filing or a replacment?

Ever try to title a vehicle you purchased out of state? That's a great one. You have to physically take the car to the DMV to get it registered. But wait, you can't drive the car until it's registered!

I could go on and on.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Certified Porschephile

If you buy a car from out of state, you are required to get a transit plate from that state unless you have the vehicle towed. You can drive in PA on that transit plate for up to 60 days. The replacement title story sounds about right. I'm not defending PennDOT, but answering your questions.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:39 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
PennDOT is pretty damn near useless. I mean, I can go to the physical PennDOT building if I want to jack them up for being stupid, but I just stay away..it's a waste of my time.

Don't even get my started on the obnoxious amount of PotHoles we have here in the greater Harrisburg area.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 03-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Certified Porschephile

One thing I will give them credit for, is the online change of address on my license and plate. Easy to use and the new cards were at the house in 3 days.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:41 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
Why are you doing everything by mail? I would go to one of the regional DMV sites and complete the paperwork there. We have 3 that I know of close to the Lehigh Valley. Are you using a Tag and Notary place? Some of those places are shady at best. I'm sure you can find a site on their website. The address is on the blue, white, and yellow plates, but not any of the specialty tags. My wife has the Tiger plate and I have the Train one, so I can look out and get it for you.
Oh oh! You don't work for penndot do you? Sorry if I offended you If you could get me the address for a regional office that would be awesome. I just can't believe this, if you try to use the web for this they ask for a title #. They have my Title! If you call them, they can do NOTHING over the phone! On top of that they take a month to get your stuff back to you. I swear it's a conspiracy against people who want to save a few bucks doing something for themselves. I'm ready to throw in the towel but this car runs great and gets 45mpg highway. Even if I give up on it I can't sell it because it can't be inspected If I knew this I would have bought that SVX in lancaster but now it's too late. Thanks for any help.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 03-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Certified Porschephile

Here you go:
AAA - North Penn
Address:
1035 North Washington Avenue
Scranton, PA 18509
County:
Lackawanna
Phone:
(570) 348-2511

And

Leonard's Auto Tag Service LLC
Address:
635 Luzerne Street
Scranton, PA 18504
County:
Lackawanna
Phone:
(570) 347-TAGS
(570) 347-5873 Fax
Old 04-24-2006, 05:48 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Update: Penndot lost my title! I called and they said they lost it but today in the mail I got my modified title! Yea, I have a smile from ear to ear. I figure they sent me that because they couldn't find my original. So now right in time for another gas crunch I can drive my veggie powered diesel while others are paying 50 bucks a tank Thanks for all the help regarding this matter.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX

Ever try to title a vehicle you purchased out of state? That's a great one. You have to physically take the car to the DMV to get it registered. But wait, you can't drive the car until it's registered!

I could go on and on.

I had this happen to me once in your neck of the woods... I bought a beetle (1970) out there and wanted to do the title work before I brought it back to Lancaster co. I had to tow the car from where it was on a dolly (seagertown area) to my ex-inlaws place. A few weekends later I was going to change the title and when I called them about it (some notary in the plaza by the KFC) they said I had to bring it in....I said "you mean I have to tow the damn thing back to m-ville just so you can see it?" Yep! OR you can take a traceing of the vin into them and that is supposidly good enough. (you know kinda like where you put a credit card on a table and put a piece of paper over it and lightly scratch a pencil over it) FYI, a pic of the vin plate is not good enough either.

I have the ultimate solution though now....IF you have an inspection license (or a friend) all they have to do is verify it and sign a paper for you. All I do now is take a title into a notary and when they ask to see the car I just whip out the inspection license and tell them...its all good.

You know i hear that Maryland sucks really bad too.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Unhappy

Wow. Sorry to hear about your troubles. When I bought my SVX from Huck (Tennessee car) I had zero issues registering it. In fact, I had it registered and insured before I even picked it up. It left Huck's driveway as an official PA car and I drove it home from there.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90
I had this happen to me once in your neck of the woods... I bought a beetle (1970) out there and wanted to do the title work before I brought it back to Lancaster co. I had to tow the car from where it was on a dolly (seagertown area) to my ex-inlaws place. A few weekends later I was going to change the title and when I called them about it (some notary in the plaza by the KFC) they said I had to bring it in....I said "you mean I have to tow the damn thing back to m-ville just so you can see it?" Yep! OR you can take a traceing of the vin into them and that is supposidly good enough. (you know kinda like where you put a credit card on a table and put a piece of paper over it and lightly scratch a pencil over it) FYI, a pic of the vin plate is not good enough either.

I have the ultimate solution though now....IF you have an inspection license (or a friend) all they have to do is verify it and sign a paper for you. All I do now is take a title into a notary and when they ask to see the car I just whip out the inspection license and tell them...its all good.

You know i hear that Maryland sucks really bad too.
Funny, I deal with the same notary office! I ended up going the inspection mechanic route. I've got a buddy with an inspection license who will take care of stuff for me.

Mike
Old 04-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
get your gun out and bring it along
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: