Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-21-2001, 09:04 PM

Blown 100k motor!!!!!

My dad went to the Ferrari show at Summit Point last weekend. On his way home he felt his RX300 wasn't fast enough so he decided when he got home he would drive my SVX which he knew to have some sort of cooling problem. Next thing I know he tells me [over the phone while I'm at school some 150 miles away so I can't kill him] that he was driving semi fast when he looked down at the temp and it was hot. Ignorant to the knowledge that hot temps are bad, he continued to drive. Finally he pulled up to a stop light where it breathed its last breath. the car shut off and wouldn't restart. I don't know what the problem is but I wouldn't be suprised if the engine was f*#cked. with any luck it just went into "I've got an idiot driving me mode"(easily fixed) and refused to go any further. I've got a spare engine w/ 83k on it I hope is still good, perhaps I could put it in and charge him $3k but I don't see him making up for this anytime soon.
sorry for the long post but I needed to vent as I have a Mid term tomorrow and won't be able to sleep tonight.
thanks,
chris
Old 10-22-2001, 06:23 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Wow! I am really sorry to here about that. A blown engine is rather rare. I would like to know what happens, what you find out as to why it went bad. Lucky you! A spare engine! That sounds like a good deal. I think your da should put it in for you.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:51 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: Blown 100k motor!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by listed
Next thing I know he tells me [over the phone while I'm at school some 150 miles away so I can't kill him] that he was driving semi fast when he looked down at the temp and it was hot. Ignorant to the knowledge that hot temps are bad, he continued to drive. Finally he pulled up to a stop light where it breathed its last breath. the car shut off and wouldn't restart.
Well......

On a possible bright note, this is exactly what happened with my car just after I bought it. I got mine so cheap because it overheated the same way. The next day after I bought it, I moved it about 8 blocks to the garage I was going to work on it and it did the same thing. The car suddenly overheated and stalled. After that, their was no way it would start, and soon after the starter sounded funny (check for that). Well what happened in my case was the waterpump froze solid. The same type thing just happened to sk8ing19 as well. In my case it ran too long and it managed to eat the entire timing belt. This obviously kept the engine from starting. Chris (sk8ing19) stopped his before it got this bad, however I'm sure it would have done the same thing. With 100K miles on it, and overheating, I wouldn't be suprised if your waterpump was going too.

Good luck, and keep us posted. BTW, the easiest way to check is to pull off the right side timing belt cover and take a look. You can tell in about 2 seconds if that is what happened.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 10-22-2001, 02:34 PM

that is exactly what I thought may have happened, but my dad told me water pumps don't freeze they just leak. since I didn't have any evidence to prove him wrong, I just accepted it. I'm wondering whether or not the motor is ruined? It takes almost as long to replace the belt and pump as it does to replace the motor!!.
chris
Old 10-22-2001, 10:58 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Quote:
Originally posted by listed
that is exactly what I thought may have happened, but my dad told me water pumps don't freeze they just leak. since I didn't have any evidence to prove him wrong, I just accepted it. I'm wondering whether or not the motor is ruined? It takes almost as long to replace the belt and pump as it does to replace the motor!!.
chris
Well, if you want some proof, I can try to find my old one. Took a large hammer and a flat blade to get the impeller to even wiggle. Same thing happened on Chris' pump as well. If this is the case, I'm sure your motor is fine. As for the belt/pump...it is time consuming but not that bad. Takes about 2-3 hours total to do the job.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 10-23-2001, 12:06 PM
Lowered SVX

you sound a lot cooler than i would be....

i cant even imagine your pain...
the funny thing is that it is usually the younger people that go out and get careless, what the hell was he thinking??

anyway i hope it all works out.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 10-23-2001, 12:15 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: you sound a lot cooler than i would be....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i cant even imagine your pain...
the funny thing is that it is usually the younger people that go out and get careless, what the hell was he thinking??

anyway i hope it all works out.

At my uncle's service station, we used to put that on our invoices as "loose nut behind steering wheel."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-23-2001, 07:26 PM
One teal and One yellow

Re: Blown 100k motor!!!!!

i'm sorry about your happening too.....how could a bullet engine got blown at only 100K if there's under good care///?? after i finished reading ur post, i immediately think about Ryan's case( have u found ur new job?, he bought an SVX so cheap I thought it was a typo but was because of the fake blown motor(?) I couldn't believe that and emailed him to ask during my buying process ) i'm glad that he stood out and explained....sure he is....think on the bright side, it might not be as bad as you thought.....haven't seen yet..you never know....... chris, are you going back next weekend/? if i have time and can be of your help...i could go back with you and look together..... talk to ya later,

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05