Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Little everyday things to help the SVX last.

Do any of you do any “little things” to help your SVX last longer? I am not talking about the usual maintenance items or washing and polishing the body or washing off the salt from the suspension but other things that you do everyday while using the SVX.

Here are a few things that I do.

1. I do not put the passenger or driver window down all the way. Why? A habit I got into with power windows in case the window gets stuck but I also think it may save that plastic clip that breaks. You know that plastic clip that when it breaks the window stays down. When the window goes down it sort of falls the last ½ inch or so and thuds.

2. I only play the cassette tape in one direction and flip it over at the end of the tape. I also smack the tape on its side. This forces the tape to the top of the cassette and reduces the drag for the tape drive components.

3. I turn off all the switches before I shut off the engine. I think this saves the relays for the cruise control and other electric items that cut out when the engine is turned off or started.

4. I use the winter wiper position on very light misty days. You know those days when you hit the mist button and then about a minute latter it’s time again? This keeps the blades on the window and I think it saves the wiper linkage mechanism instead of returning to the “hide away” position each time.

5. I try to keep my hands off the suede arm rest/door pull when I close the door. That suede gets dirty from continuous use over time. I curl my fingers inside the pocket and pull with my finger tips so that my palm isn’t touching the suede.

6. I leave the antenna up and turn the radio volume down when I get a cell phone call. This way the mechanism for the antenna isn’t going up and down all the time.

7. I never let the fuel tank go dry. It is very bad to run the fuel pump with no gas in it. I don’t buy gas every day, just every other day.

8. I always release the passenger seat back and slide the seat forward for the person getting into the back seat. I had the seat hang up once when it was moved without the seatback being fully forward. What a pain in the butt it was to get it working again.

9. I don’t use the auto up or down on the driver window. Mine was broken for years and after I fixed it I saw the cause of the problem. Appling either auto position causes the plastic in the switch lever to crack and eventually the switch will not work at all.

10. In slow "stop and go" highway traffic I use the manual button and keep the tranny in 2nd. This avoids the continually shifting that comes with stop and go traffic and keeps the tranny in 2nd gear.