How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-22-2017, 04:31 PM

Registered SVX
replacement rack and pinion

My rack and pinion is leaking and I have not found a remanufactured one from a rebuilder with a perfect rating. Both Detroit Axle and Buy Auto Parts list them but have crap shoot type ratings. NAPA says 2 month wait. I probably would trust Atlantic, but they are out of inventory.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:12 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: replacement rack and pinion

These guys in Rancho Cordova have 11 SVX for parts. You might want to consider a used rack. I bought a rear sub-frame from them and they are excellent to deal with.
http://sspparts.com/cars/Subaru/SVX

Rock Auto has a return and rebuild deal with A-1 Cardone. You send in your rack and they rebuild it.

autopartsway.com has one from a company called Maval for $290.00 plus $160 core.https://www.autopartsway.com/partlis.../pagenum1/tabs

Last edited by Blacky; 05-22-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Registered SVX

thanks. Steve Barsotti, my Subaru mechanic has found one from a rebuilder he has used in the past. It isn't as cheap as the internet stuff at $500 or so but his reputation is probably better. I will try to keep the core, I think, and get a seal kit for the future.
At 286000 miles, it might come in handy!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:15 PM

Registered SVX

The rebuilt rack and pinion is in and it acts a little different. It is now stiffer from 0 to 30 mph or so. I have looked at the schematic and don't think that mixing up the two wires to the pinion solenoid would make a difference. Can someone verify it? Maybe the ECU has to learn some new things and I just need to drive it more.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:22 PM

I had to replace the steering rack in both my SVX's and got units from PartsGeek at about $250 plus refundable core charges and one of the units felt a little stiffer than the other but seemed to have worked out the stiffness after a few hundred miles. I am having another problem w/the feed and return lines from the reservoir to/from the rack; the feed lines which is under pressure has developed a pinhole leak. Subaru no longer produces the part. Did you replace the fluid lines to/from the rack and if Yes, can you supply a source?
Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Registered SVX

We did not replace the lines. Maybe a wrecking yard?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:06 AM

Thanks, I've checked a couple of yards and no luck. I'll have to expand my yard search.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:12 PM

Is it the metal or rubber that is leaking?

You could possibly take the line off and bring it to a hydraulic shop and have them make you something with the correct fittings.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:48 PM

It is a metal line w/curves and a fitting. I think I found one in a salvage yard but it costs twice as much as Subaru wanted for a new one.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 PM

There are a few lines, only one of them is a high pressure line.

If it is the pressure line from the pump to the rack (metal on each end crimped to a rubber middle section), it requires either an OEM line or a custom made line from a hydraulic shop with the correct fittings crimped on.

All of the other lines are return lines and are low pressure. These are all just connected with hose clamps and all of the rubber is just oil resistant rubber line.

There is a small metal section from the rack to the first piece of rubber with a clamp. This first piece of rubber then connects with a clamp to a metal piece that runs under the right head. This then connects with a clamp to a rubber line that runs to the cooler in front of the radiator and connects with a clamp. From the cooler there is a rubber line that connects with a clamp and runs up to the reservoir and connects with a clamp.

If the first metal section that connects to the rack is leaking you may be able to make one from another subaru work and connect it to the rubber line with a clamp.

If it is the metal line under the head that is leaking you can just pull it out and run a rubber line from the metal line at the rack to the cooler in front of the radiator.

If it is the cooler in front of the radiator that is leaking you can just replace it with a generic finned cooler.

I had the rubber return between the first metal line at the rack and the metal line under the head spring a leak and I replaced it with a new piece of rubber line and new clamps.

I also had the cooler in front of the radiator rot out on me so i replaced it with a generic cooler.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:35 AM

I have a 94 LS in need of a rack/pinion. Have decided to do with the rebuilt from Detroit Axle, but they have a choice of
#808 no sensor
#809 sensor-ready

https://www.detroitaxle.com/part-fin...LS&product_id=

Which would be correct for my car? Do I have engine or vehicle speed sensitive P/S?

Thanks!

Last edited by oldsube; 05-07-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:08 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

The LS would be RPM engine speed sensitive.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:03 PM

Thank you