Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 PM

Manual conversion question

Making a list of what I need for the swap. Forum search provided most but have aquesiton on axles. Will the axles out of my auto work on the manual tranny?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 03:17 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Manual conversion question

What kind of manual trans are you planning to get?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 AM

Probably go with a 05 or newer WRX.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:47 AM

Registered SVX

Front - you should have 0 issues with axles. Subaru was smart enough to use a standard stub size on their transmissions AFTER 1991 (when they quit making the bomb with a lit fuse EA82T) If you were really inclined to have a 100% answer, hop on Napa's website and look up the axles for your year SVX and the year of the WRX donor car. They will list out the spline count of the axles. I'm a Naturally asp nerd so I really cant say if the forced induction trans will be the same size stub shafts, but I think Subaru standardized the front stubs on all makes/models. (the axles in my 92 worked with the 98 forester trans I put in )

REAR:

the SVX axles are the same size internally as any EJ series car (not sure about the forced induction cars though) The only difference on the rear axles is @ the wheel bearing. They are internal snapring shafts. If I remember correctly there is a WRX axle that should be a DIRECT swap for the SVX axle.
there is one or two years where they had a funky rear diff and I think that was only in the imprezas around 97-99. The diff that I had an issue with axles fitting was one of the diffs with the weird "Subaru" cooling fins

Search for the 5 speed swap thread. Someone posted an awesome guide, that tells you what year stuff works and what doesnt.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Registered SVX

An 05 WRX trans you will need the following (some differences with the post above):

Lengthen 2-piece SVX driveshaft 2 inches (LSi except for 97s have 1-piece deiveshafts). OR, find a stock subaru driveshaft that fits (has to be both the right length altogether, and have the carrier bearing in the right place). There are a couple threads about driveshafts: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25638, http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56920, and http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55838

Rear axles and diff - leave alone 02-05 USDM WRX 5-speeds have a 3.9:1 final drive and a 3.545:1 in the read, with a 1.1:1 center diff to accommodate this. The stock SVX rear diff is coincidentally 3.545:1. So you can leave that part alone, just bolt the new driveshaft onto the stock rear diff. Also the SVX rear diff is an LSD, the WRX one I am fairly certain isn't. So you're better off with the SVX one.

Front axles - I am pretty sure the SVX axles will pop right in. A lot of the 5-speeds have male axle stubs already sticking out of the front diff, but some of them don't, and you will have to get the stubs (Maybe SVX stubs would work??). I haven't messed with this myself, so I'm not 100% sure on details, but I've seen it discussed a lot on NASIOC, so you should be able to find info there.

You will need the entire 5-speed shifter assembly. There are 2 shift linkages, that you will need extended 2 inches. There is also a rear bushing that holds one of the shift linkages to the body of the car. Make sure to get that. You will have to make a bracket for it to bolt to. There are pics in my photo album linked in my sig that show how I did mine. I also suggest a short shifter if can afford it, since stock shifters look out of place to me. Not necessary, but a tall stock shifter will look weird. kartboy makes a good one.

You will need the flywheel, flywheel bolts (stock SVX flexplate bolts are too short, don't use them), clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch fork, pivot rod thingy, the little rubber boot that covers the hole for the clutch fork, and basically all the little nuts, bolts, odds and ends. Stock WRX clutch/flywheel/pressure plate should all be fine for a stock EG33. You will also need the manual starter.

The pedals, you need to get the stock SVX brake pedal, and the WRX pedals and combine them into one (requires cutting/welding). TomSVX has a jig made to weld up proper pedals once again, which is great, because the pedal setup I was able to make is not going to last forever. I had him make me a new set, which are really, really solid. Here is how you can contact him: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59664

Likewise, a crossmember will need to be made. Tom doesn't have a jig anymore to do this, but you can ask him. This is something that can be done locally as well. From what I understand, basically, you combine the stock SVX crossmember, a bit of the WRX crossmember, and the "torque bar", adding rods from the rear to the front. Pics may explain better, but I can't recall where any are off the top of my head. The "torque bar" is a bar that goes across the back of the SVX engine crossmember, connecting on each side near the rear control arm attachment points. It kind of sits under the torque converter IIRC.

Wiring is mostly covered here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57833

See attachments for more info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5 Speed Conversion.pdf (94.3 KB, 378 views)
File Type: pdf SVX 6-speed conversion.pdf (811.9 KB, 371 views)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Newer subarus have female connections on the front diff, so you'll need axles from a newer subaru. For example, my transmission is from an 04 forester, and I needed to get axles from a newer subaru for it to work. I believe my axles are from an 08 forester.
2001 Audi S8
Old 06-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Thanks for all the info. Looks like a lot of little details to work through on this. I'll have to think about the rear diff. I am running a 4.44. Sounds like I will need to change this back to the 3.56.
I'm sure I'll need more help as I get into this.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:36 PM

Registered SVX

SVX stub shafts will work in the female transmissions. You just need to get 2 new seals for the stubs.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
SVX stub shafts will work in the female transmissions. You just need to get 2 new seals for the stubs.
Good to know. I am thinking it would be nice if we could make a centralized manual swap thread, where ALL of this kind of information is contained. Maybe if I have some time, I will do that. I've gone through it in varying degrees of detail over the years, it's just a matter of compiling it all, and making sure that everything is covered (cable clutch 5-mts, changing final drives, hydro 5-mts, 6-speeds).

Have a part number for the seals?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Good to know. I am thinking it would be nice if we could make a centralized manual swap thread, where ALL of this kind of information is contained. Maybe if I have some time, I will do that. I've gone through it in varying degrees of detail over the years, it's just a matter of compiling it all, and making sure that everything is covered (cable clutch 5-mts, changing final drives, hydro 5-mts, 6-speeds).

Have a part number for the seals?

I'll do you one better. Here's the part numbers for everything if you do not want to use the SVX stubs.

805329010 Circlips need 2
38415AA110 stubs need 2
806730041 oil seal Left and right are different
806730042 oil seal Left and right are different
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 AM

I think a manual swap thread would be great. There is a lot of good information in the forum, but scattered around and takes some time to try and piece it all together.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Registered SVX

^Anything useful or informative that you find, link it (here or PM or wherever) and I'll start to compile it. Even if it doesn't apply to your own swap.

^^ Thanks dragoontwo

Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM

ok I have a 93 svx with a 5 speed swap of a legancy gt is there a connector that I need to get or do I need to splice the wires together?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:14 PM

Registered SVX

What is the problem that makes you ask this question. You said you have a 5 speed. This car never ran/drove since it has been converted ?It will not start?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 PM

Where to begin? First off the guy takes a year to not finish. But now it starts & runs. My issues are the connectors from the trans and the wire harness from the car do not match. My speedometer, wipers do not work either. Oh and the idle is too high. If you give any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
What is the problem that makes you ask this question. You said you have a 5 speed. This car never ran/drove since it has been converted ?It will not start?