IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Tps

I have a used TPS if anyone wants it for experimenting. It worked fine before but I replaced it with a new one in an attempt to diagnose a malfunctioning tranny. It has over 155k on it.
I checked it with an ohmeter (analog) and it did show some fluctuation at partly open throttle but it did not cause any driveability problems. I swapped it into my wife's svx and it worked fine in that car too.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to andivic Send a message via AIM to andivic Send a message via Yahoo to andivic
sigh......

Well my engine cold lit up for more than three months and finally i decided to check what went wrong with my car.......did the self diagnose check......turned out to be 31 with is the throttle body sensor. Is the TPS same as throttle body sensor ?

Well anyways i already bought it from Subaruparts.com............I should have waited....but since the engine check light is really annoying and my rpm is strange all the time.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:56 PM
Garrison

TPS

I think I might have a bad TPS. I had my tranny rebuilt about 6000 miles ago, and then the solenoids went out...so back to the tranny shop (under warranty). Now, however, the tranny wants to stay in 4th gear lockup mode when starting up a hill, or miscellaneous other situations which cause engine RPM to descend to around 2000 because of load. When I start up a hill, the tranny stays in lockup mode, and when the engine RPM is low enough, I start getting this shaky shuddering that seems like the tranny is trying to shift, but can't. The tranny shop says it is the TPS (throttle position sensor), but before I spend $150 on a new one, I thought I'd ask if you (andivic) had the same symptoms. Also, how much do you want for your TPS, for troubleshooting purposes only?
Thanks,
Garrison
'92 LS-L AWD
Old 04-02-2002, 04:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Sorry - been off the board a few days.

I don't want any money for the TPS - just shipping and the promise that if it doesn't work out for you then it will go back up here for the next guy to use for troubleshooting.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 04-02-2002, 05:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to andivic Send a message via AIM to andivic Send a message via Yahoo to andivic
well i already changed my TPS, should have look around at the network first...........anyways the self diagnose code for the TPS is 31............three long blinks and then one short blink repeatedly.........after i changed the TPS...........which is very simple. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to do the job. After i changed the TPS, I haven't had any cold starting problem, nor any unstable idle.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Garrison

TPS

Hi Immortal Suby,
Please send me your mailing address at gnordic@mac.com so that I can send you a check for shipping/handling. Thanks a lot for offering to do this, you might be saving me some big bucks.
Also, re the latest post (andivic), where did you get error code 31 from? Was it a tranny error code, or do you have a way of making the engine flash its error codes somehow?

Thanks,
Garrison

-'92 LS-L Purple
86000 miles
Fairbanks, Alaska
Old 04-04-2002, 05:08 PM

self diagnose

Quote:
Originally posted by Garrison
[B Also, re the latest post (andivic), where did you get error code 31 from? Was it a tranny error code, or do you have a way of making the engine flash its error codes somehow?
[/B]
First of all, does your engine check blink sometimes or ever ? If you engine check light didnt blink, then you can't retrieve the error code........since its store in the computer's memory.

How you do know that you have a bad TPS ? Is it hard to start in the cold day ? or having unstable rpm after initial start up ?

Anyways i attached a diagram for self diagnose check..........hope the picture works............if not then you can also email me for the detail instruction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-001f.jpg (39.1 KB, 144 views)
Old 04-04-2002, 05:21 PM

self diagnose check continue

you will find two blue wires and two wire connectors (one black, and one yellow) after you take the little piece with carpert out.....................its right under the cable that you pull to open the gas/trunk. go search around you will find it.

just neglect the yellow wire connector........we are only gonna use the black wire connector and two blue wires.........

before you do it make sure your engine is completely turned off.

see the second picture i attached...........put one blue wire into the No. 2 hole (either one is fine)........and then the other blue wire to No. 10 for ground...............

then turn your key to "key on" position.........usually all the light in the instrument panel light up......then count the blink of engine check light.

one long pulse is equal 10...........and one shor pulse is equal 1...........its very obvious.....so don't ask me how to distinguish.

I think someone out there might have the translation of what each number/code stands for what kind of error..........i can't find mine..

the picture is not that clear, but i am sure you can still read the number reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-003f.jpg (37.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 04-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Sorry - Once again I haven't been able to get on the svx net as much as I'd like lately. The TPS will be on its way to you soon. I hope it helps.