IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2001, 09:47 PM
Chad

Just Venting

Well, just thought I would vent here.

About a month ago I found out that my A/C didn't work. The dealership told me "$300 and we'll look for leaks in the evaporator case" They had already pumped 2 lbs of r-12 in and it leaked right out. That cost me $200. I got ripped off, never mind having to drive 60 miles each way to a Subaru shop.

Debating over the thought of spending the $300 I went down to a local shop (Chev-bro-lay) and asked if they could do a leak test. They said "Sure. Our labor rate is only $45." They did the leak test, charged me $24 and said "Yup, it's the evaporator"

SO. I get a used evaporator from a parts yard in Virginia for 50 bucks, install it myself (there was no r-12 in it anyway) and took it back down (today).

They vacuum check the system, and all looks good. They start pumping in the r-12 and......blow out the compressor seal. They lost 4 oz of freon and don't charge me a thing.

Well.....found a used compressor in-state for $150 shipped to my door. They even tested it (don't know how?) before calling me back and telling me it was good.

SO....Hopefully early next week I'll get the compressor and get it installed and filled.....I gotta tell ya, it's been warm without the A/C. (100+ all week)

Other than that, all is well. Ordered a used starter too. I think the solenoid is going bad......does the "click, click" thing.