Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T
Re: STeeL's built motor/turbo build

Loaded the WRX trans in my car to drop off tomorrow, I have no idea what the rebuild is going to cost me but I'm optimistic since I'm providing the parts and they wont have to remove or reinstall, just labor.

Got on Subaruparts.com and ordered the last of my OEM parts. Two parts left to buy on my list =) ...Although I'm not looking forward to the clutch..
Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko

Are you getting a Hydra Nemesis for engine control?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM

I would prefer to get on my hands and knees and beg Tom to let me mail him the new plug and play MegaSquirt that fits our stock connector and see what he can do with it. Not only cause its cheaper but because I don't know anyone within a few hundred miles of me thats a Hydra tuner.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM
sans SVX

I thought the Hydra included software to allow you to tune it yourself like an AEM EMS.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko View Post
I thought the Hydra included software to allow you to tune it yourself like an AEM EMS.
It does... most people wouldn't know where to start with tuning in general though so as a precaution I have recomended they get it tuned by a professional... I don't lock my maps, so they could use the map I give them as a starting point

Tom
Old 03-29-2010, 05:41 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
It does... most people wouldn't know where to start with tuning in general though so as a precaution I have recomended they get it tuned by a professional... I don't lock my maps, so they could use the map I give them as a starting point

Tom
ok, I guess the lack of tuning skill does make sense for the SVX community. Great that you don't lock your maps. Do you have the MegaSquirt adapted to the SVX and have a set of base maps for it?

Visit my locker

Old 03-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
ok, I guess the lack of tuning skill does make sense for the SVX community. Great that you don't lock your maps. Do you have the MegaSquirt adapted to the SVX and have a set of base maps for it?
nope. offered to try for someone but they never sent the unit

Tom
Old 03-29-2010, 05:49 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
nope. offered to try for someone but they never sent the unit

Tom
I imagine that adapting a Megasquirt would be a fair bit of work because you'd have to figure out the sensor calibrations. I imagine you'd set it up as speed density (is there even a MAF option with MS?). Did you happen to obtain or measure the sensor response info when you were working with Hydra?

Visit my locker

Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Maniac modifier

what response info are you looking for...

It won't be too bad setting up the MS w/ the position sensors... Just run a std 24 tooth wheel setup with an aux trigger for cam position.

Tom
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
what response info are you looking for...

It won't be too bad setting up the MS w/ the position sensors... Just run a std 24 tooth wheel setup with an aux trigger for cam position.

Tom
Thought you might try to use all the OEM sensors, but sounds like you'd just go with all the aftermarket sensors that people typically use with the MS.

Visit my locker

Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Thought you might try to use all the OEM sensors, but sounds like you'd just go with all the aftermarket sensors that people typically use with the MS.
No, use the stock sensors... Just adjusting the trigger type

Tom
Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
No, use the stock sensors... Just adjusting the trigger type

Tom
ok, maybe not as bad as I though. If you go SD, then I imagine you'd use a GM 3 bar and a GM IAT sensor for SD duties, and those calibrations are readily available. You've got cam and crank figured out. NB O2 are all the same, so nothing to worry about there. That leaves the resistance vs temp curve for the OEM coolant temp sensor, and I suppose you'd have to figure out the idle air control valve response characteristics. Would you try to control the plenum separation valve? Have you looked at whether the MS can fire the factory ignition system? And of course it would be great to work out knock sensing if the MS supports it.

Visit my locker

Old 03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Maniac modifier

with enough work it can be done... No one is going to do it for free, which means it will likely not be wanted... That was the point of using the Hydra Nemesis... Plug-n-play w/ base maps... People don't realize what they are getting when they buy

Tom
Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
with enough work it can be done... No one is going to do it for free, which means it will likely not be wanted... That was the point of using the Hydra Nemesis... Plug-n-play w/ base maps... People don't realize what they are getting when they buy

Tom
Strongly agree with that statement. Don't think that people realize that while the MS is a good price, the effort required to adapt it is much higher.

Visit my locker

Old 04-01-2010, 04:46 AM

Everything was going smoothly until Jesse said to me, "Do you have a 12 point deep well 1/2 inch?" ... Damn ARPs... Finally found one at our FIFTH stop (If you don't have one, don't waste your time looking... Go straight to Sears).

So we'll try again Monday. I'm going to order my timing belt today and hope I can get it by then so we can set the timing, after that I can finish it on my own. I'll be putting on the water pump and cross over pipe in the mean time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: