How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Gov't program to threaten SVX's

The gov't rebate incentive program to trade in old inefficient cars to purchase new cars applies to SVX's.

My GF has a 94 SVX w/ 101,000 that she has recently become frustrated with due to an electrical gremlin that had left her stranded. Two rebuilt alternators and 2 used MAF in past year.

Anyway, Wentworth Subaru in Portland, OR offered her the $3500 govt stipend if she bought a new Impreza. Her SVX is a daily driver and in good condition. However, she would be hard pressed to get $3500 for it here, there are many SVX's on craigslist. One requirement of the trade in is that the dealer takes the car to the crusher! What a waste.

What happens to the vehicle I trade in?

The CARS Act requires that the trade-in vehicle be crushed or shredded so that it will not be resold for use in the United States or elsewhere as an automobile. The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles in this manner will be allowed to sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train.

There is now serious incentive to take our precious SVX's off the road.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T
Re: Gov't program to threaten SVX's

If you like your car and you know what you've got, you'd be an idiot to smash it to pieces for a crummy 3000 bucks that doesn't come close to offsetting the 20,000 dollars a new Impreza is going to run you.

Why not take 300 bucks and get the problems fixed or a few thousand and buy another daily. I'd sell you a Cavalier for 1500 bucks.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
If you like your car and you know what you've got, you'd be an idiot to smash it to pieces for a crummy 3000 bucks that doesn't come close to offsetting the 20,000 dollars a new Impreza is going to run you.
Trouble is, even three grand (the "incentive " is actually $3500-$4500) is more than most of our cars are worth on the current market.

Just playing devil's advocate, but anybody here wanna give eight grand for my two? Seven?

dcb
Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself here but I wouldn't send any SVX to the crusher for any reasonable amount of money. Maybe 20,000 dollars... But I'd use the money to restore another one lol.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX

isn't there already a multi page thread on this?

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStateSVX View Post

I looked through first 3 pages of posts and didn't see anything, so I posted new. Mods can feel free to fold this into exisiting post.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

This is all just making mine (all of ours) more rare and valuable. Crush, baby, Crush!
2001 Audi S8
Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX

gotcha. just checking - this is the "Cash for Clunkers" program, right?

what a stupid idea

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStateSVX View Post
SCORE!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50808

Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM

Anyone who takes TAX money from the government, and thus from OTHER PEOPLE, to send a rare car, like SVX to the crusher, gains my ire and derision.

Honestly, sell the SVX to someone, and buy a recent-used car, and save more than the government would otherwise pay you. two or three years of depreciation on a new car is more than the government will pay you.

And for the government to pay you, they have to seize it from someone else first. They are so far beyond a balanced budget that the people they are seizing from are our grandchildren.

This whole program is irresponsible from pretty much every angle. Used car dealers, and automotive wrecking/salvage are the mechanisms that have been in place for quite some time to cover resale value, and automotive disposal.

This is just government subsidy of your trash, and they are incentivizing people to trash things that AREN'T JUNK.

I paid $1000 for an SVX to KEEP IT FROM BEING CRUSHED. I drove it to work this morning, and it is a perfectly viable car, with another 100K miles of life left in it, at least, barring the unforseen to cut that short. But I am not going to throw it away like it is trash.

The drivetrain, interior, glass, spare body and chassis parts, and such are worth more than what I paid for the car, even as salvage.

I have no idea why even Junk yards are crushing these cars. They are RARE. They may not be fast, consistent demand for parts, but they are captive demand for those of us keeping these cars on the road. We can't just pull a lot of parts off of other cars. There are a few cross-compatibilities, but there are LOTS of parts that are unique to this car.

Would you take a Porsche 944 Turbo to the shredder? A VW Bus? An 80s or 90's BMW M3 or M5? A 635CSi? A 300ZX?

Why on earth would people consider scrapping such relatively rare iron for the sake of the government?

Do you honestly think that the energy to build another new car is "saved" energy, compared to the energy long since expended to build the car you already have? Even on it's FAKE, Politically correct face, it is a boon-doggle and a farce.

Please. If you hate your car that much, sell it to another enthusiast who wants it. I would say give it to charity, but they probably just turn it in for government cash, and crushing also. Sell it, and use the money to get the car that you can afford.

Unless you are wealthy, let someone else take the depreciation hit on a new vehicle. Even with rebates, a new vehicle will depreciate, as the used market crashes underneath all the fake, trumped-up new-car demand.

If you ARE wealthy, you know what taxes mean, so you should forego the government subsidy purely on principle. (although I am not rich, and I abhor it on principle, as well.)

There is no excuse for leveraging yourself heavily for a new car, just to get a bit of 'gub'ment cheese.'

Buy what you can afford. A good, properly chosen used car is a better value, pretty much every time, unless you can afford to take a brand new car and use it for most of it's useful life, and completely disregard depreciation.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Anyone who takes TAX money from the government, and thus from OTHER PEOPLE, to send a rare car, like SVX to the crusher, gains my ire and derision.

Honestly, sell the SVX to someone, and buy a recent-used car, and save more than the government would otherwise pay you. two or three years of depreciation on a new car is more than the government will pay you.

And for the government to pay you, they have to seize it from someone else first. They are so far beyond a balanced budget that the people they are seizing from are our grandchildren.

This whole program is irresponsible from pretty much every angle. Used car dealers, and automotive wrecking/salvage are the mechanisms that have been in place for quite some time to cover resale value, and automotive disposal.

This is just government subsidy of your trash, and they are incentivizing people to trash things that AREN'T JUNK.

I paid $1000 for an SVX to KEEP IT FROM BEING CRUSHED. I drove it to work this morning, and it is a perfectly viable car, with another 100K miles of life left in it, at least, barring the unforseen to cut that short. But I am not going to throw it away like it is trash.

The drivetrain, interior, glass, spare body and chassis parts, and such are worth more than what I paid for the car, even as salvage.

I have no idea why even Junk yards are crushing these cars. They are RARE. They may not be fast, consistent demand for parts, but they are captive demand for those of us keeping these cars on the road. We can't just pull a lot of parts off of other cars. There are a few cross-compatibilities, but there are LOTS of parts that are unique to this car.

Would you take a Porsche 944 Turbo to the shredder? A VW Bus? An 80s or 90's BMW M3 or M5? A 635CSi? A 300ZX?

Why on earth would people consider scrapping such relatively rare iron for the sake of the government?

Do you honestly think that the energy to build another new car is "saved" energy, compared to the energy long since expended to build the car you already have? Even on it's FAKE, Politically correct face, it is a boon-doggle and a farce.

Please. If you hate your car that much, sell it to another enthusiast who wants it. I would say give it to charity, but they probably just turn it in for government cash, and crushing also. Sell it, and use the money to get the car that you can afford.

Unless you are wealthy, let someone else take the depreciation hit on a new vehicle. Even with rebates, a new vehicle will depreciate, as the used market crashes underneath all the fake, trumped-up new-car demand.

If you ARE wealthy, you know what taxes mean, so you should forego the government subsidy purely on principle. (although I am not rich, and I abhor it on principle, as well.)

There is no excuse for leveraging yourself heavily for a new car, just to get a bit of 'gub'ment cheese.'

Buy what you can afford. A good, properly chosen used car is a better value, pretty much every time, unless you can afford to take a brand new car and use it for most of it's useful life, and completely disregard depreciation.
I hear ya but lets be honest here that $4500 is more then most of them are worth. The market is soft and I believe that sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

I highly doubt that there is anyone on here that would give $4500 for a car that is worth less then that (per KBB).

Tell ya what: the first person that shows up with a wad of $4500 in their hands can have mine. I'm not really into selling but I really don't think these people exist anymore with the economy the way it is.

Prove me wrong.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 AM

You missed the part about...

WHERE DOES THAT $4500 COME FROM...

It comes from you and I who pay taxes... more aptly, it comes from our grandchildren's taxes.

Even if you sell an SVX for half that, and buy a 2-year old used car, instead of new... you end up spending less money, and someone gets an SVX at a reasonable price. $2,250 is not out of line for most SVXs...

How many SVXs will be left, if people start turning them in for their Car-Welfare check, and the cars get shredded, not salvaged, not re-sold.

The government is saying that they need to shred these because they are clunkers and polluters.

All the SVXs extant don't emit pollution to equal to that of the energy required to make 1 new car, from making the raw plastics, rubber, and glass, to making the finished parts, to assembling and ultimately delivering a new car.

Yet this bill is made to stimulate demand for new cars (used cars aren't eligible purchases) while the government owns new car companies. And it takes good cars off the road, simply by tax payers buying your car from you, and treating it as trash.

Wasteful, and STUPID.

The cars coming out now are CRAP. There isn't one of them, short of a Porsche or an Audi R8 that I would sell my current cars for. The state of the new car industry is in shambles, and they are turning out boring tripe. EVEN SUBARU. The new Legacy is horrible compared to mine, and they haven't the passion to learn from the SVX and build a better, new one.

When all the spare SVXs are gone, the salvage parts are depleted and crushed, and the few still operating cannot be repaired because the spare parts can't be had for love nor money... What else will there be? A handful of G35 and G37 coupes? An Audi A5, maybe? What will be worth getting excited about owning and using?

The government is drowning the auto industry by regulations, by ownership, and by subsidies like this to artificially prop-up demand for new government-controlled crap.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 07-20-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 PM

If I could I'd buy every SVX that came along running or not and park them in my yard, artfully of course, like 5 nose to nose, or 3 back to back, just to make people wonder!!!
my 2cents................G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post

WHERE DOES THAT $4500 COME FROM...
Keebler elves.... everyone knows that.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.