Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
STI Yellow Top Injector firmware

Hey guys,

Just an FYI update.

Installed STI yellow top injectors in my SVX and dialed in a version of the Subiechips firmware for them.There are a lot of different flow rate values reported for these injectors online. I ended up with 503cc for the yellow tops vs the 280 for the stock SVX injectors.

I like them. The car purs and runs strong with them.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: STI Yellow Top Injector firmware

Forgive my ignorance but is that on a stock engine? If so what are benefits of running with these injectors?
Old 01-23-2017, 05:46 AM
Just some dude.

I installed the injectors on a stock JDM engine (taken down to the short block and sealed up tight with a new overhaul set but stock.) There really shouldn't be enough of a benefit from upgrading the injectors on a stock engine to justify doing it for no other reason. Strangely enough the car does feel stronger with them but that is probably my mind wanting it to be stronger or my recollection of how it felt before being off. I hadn't driven the car in months before this.

In this case this wasn't me writing the firmware so I could upgrade the injectors; this was me upgrading the injectors so I could write the firmware. I've been asked many times to write firmware for the yellow tops. A couple of times I said I'd do it if they used a wideband or one of my select monitor interfaces to give me data to dial it in after installing it; neither time did the data actually come back so I could polish things up and check the project off as successfully accomplished. I've just been saying no since then until just recently I again told someone I would do it. He has and impreza with a turbo eg33 running my 370cc/z32 afm firmware and wants firmware for yellow tops with a z32 air flow meter. I already made the modifications to the yellow top/svx afm firmware I am running now to switch to the z32 afm. I'll test that next weekend. I don't expect to have to make any revisions. I have a lot of experience with and proven #'s for the z32 afm at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
Forgive my ignorance but is that on a stock engine? If so what are benefits of running with these injectors?
Old 01-27-2017, 05:27 AM
Just some dude.

Well....

I got the z32 afm (actually a spectra brand z32 replacement from the auto parts store to be accurate) and installed it and the firmware to match it with the yellow top injectors last night.

Car started and idled great. I went out for a test drive and started getting the Christmas tree lights on the dashboard promptly followed by getting stranded and having to call AAA to bring my car home. Another essentially new aftermarket alternator let me down. This lifetime warranty is killing me. I can't take it anymore. I ordered an alternator from Subaru this morning (I assume they are not using the defective Chinese voltage regulators that are plaguing the after market brands.)

So anyway, the z32 maf with sti yellow top injector firmware seemed spot on before the car broke. I'll wait till I get the new alternator to take both the litteral and figurative victory lap but it looks good so far.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:17 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Thanks for the explanation
Old 03-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Just some dude.

I finally got around to finishing the firmware for the STI yellow top injectors paired with a Z32 air flow meter. I don't have any dyno #'s to prove it or anything but the car feels faster again. So switching from the stock injectors to the yellow tops felt like an improvement then switching from the stock air flow meter to the z32 air flow meter felt like another improvement.

The tuning is exactly the same as in pretty much all of my chips. I started with my JDM-OE-OE firmware as base code (which was the replacement for the ECUtune Stage1av1.) To that I made the theoretical changes to the firmware for the STI yellow top injectors. I then trialed that firmware with a wideband hooked up to the car, revised it, trialed it, .....until it was perfectly dialed in.

I then used the JDM-OE-YellowTop firmware as base code to which I made the theoretical changes for the z32 mass air meter which I then trialed, revised, trialed revised....until it was perfectly dialed in.

So the tuning remains the same across all of my chips no matter which injector/mass air meter combination you choose to go with. None the less it is my impression that this mass air meter/injector combination offers the best performance.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Mike

Interesting! I thought the STI yellow tops were top feed injectors. I'm looking at either splitting the fuel inlet line and returns, or getting top feed rails fabricated.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-25-2017, 08:49 AM
Just some dude.

Nope. They are side feeds and they use the same electrical connector as the SVX so they are the easiest drop in out there.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

nice work!

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-27-2017, 11:41 PM

Kind of a necropost, but I'm desperate, so here goes:

LAN, is this firmware available for purchase? If so, how much if I just need the .bin file to program my 27SF512 chips with? Would this be something you're willing to accommodate?

I have a Z32 MAF and a set of yellowtop injectors ready to drop into the car at a moment's notice...

Worth noting: I've got an AEM wideband and a functional serial interface (DIY SSM clone). If the data they produce might be useful to you, I'm willing to be another guinea pig and send any datalogging you might be interested in. Car is basically stock, save for a 4.44 swap, a full large-bore high-flow exhaust, some modest intake tweaks, and an EGR delete.

I emailed you at the address on the subiechips site. Not sure if that's still a good address to use, but if so, you have my email and can reply back to that address, or PM me here. Either way.

Let me know, I'm eagerly awaiting your reply!
1994 Polo Green SVX LSi : 28x,xxx KMs - 4.44 4EAT, Mazdaspeed3 18x7" wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports, full custom stainless mandrel hi-flow catted Magnaflow exhaust, drilled front rotors, Russel braided lines, EGR/AC/spare deletes, power mode switch, JDM base tune, etc. Lots more to come...