How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2017, 07:10 PM

How to remove glove box lock cylinder?

Okay, I bought a few new repair parts to deal with some nagging problems, including a broken glove door latch.

I installed the new latch with no difficulty and it works great. Now I want to move the lock cylinder from the old latch to the new one, but I can't figure out how to get the cylinder out. If anyone has done this or knows the trick, I would love some advice!

(By the way, there was one weird thing about the new latch -- the two holes that are used to attach the latch to the door were unthreaded! I had to figure out that it was supposed to be M4 size and go buy the appropriate tap. This latch was a new part purchased from Subaru Parts Warehouse.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09547.jpg (514.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 11-04-2017, 07:13 PM

Re: How to remove glove box lock cylinder?

Found my answer on another forum.

Look at the back of the latch assembly, where the rear end of the lock cylinder is visible sticking out of the round "receptacle" portion of the latch assembly that holds it. The important area is at the top edge of the cylinder, in the small gap between the outer circumference of the cylinder and the inner circumference of the receptacle. There is a copper tab visible there. It is spring loaded, with the spring pushing the tab out of the body of the cylinder, thus holding the cylinder in the receptacle. I used a jeweler's screwdriver slipped between the outer edge of the copper tab and the inner surface of the receptacle, levering the tab back into the body of the cylinder while pressing the back of the cylinder to push it out. Mission accomplished!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:31 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: How to remove glove box lock cylinder?

Good info to have. ThanQ.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.