SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2003, 11:19 PM
deruvian

Unhappy SVX is totaled... definitely a very sad thing

This is by far the worst story of my life... Probably pointless and nothing but shear pain for every other SVX owner to hear, but I kinda need to vent a little about this. I bought a beautiful blue 1994 SVX L about 4 months ago. Damn I loved that car...

Anyways, on Friday night (or Saturday morning) I was driving home at about 12:30, and I live in a wooded area with a fairly narrow road to my house. Just driving along as usual, I come around a corner, and what do I see in my lane? A pair of headlights... A big, fat pair of headlights headed right towards me in my designated space on the road. What the hell do you do when you see a set of headlights coming toward you like that? Well, I obviously attempted to avoid getting in a head-on collision. So, I tried to fit in between the oncoming car and the embankment on the right side of the road. But as soon as I saw this car coming towards me, I panicked. My body stiffened up, and all my limbs hyper-extended themselves to brace for impact (simply instinct, I suppose). Unfortunately, my right leg did this while my right foot was on the accelerator. And even worse, I'm almost 100% certain this engaged power mode. Knowing the acceleration capabilities of my car while in power mode, I probably gained about 10-15mph from the point of panicking until impact of the embankment. That places my approximate speed upon impact at about 45-50mph.

I hit the dirt of the embankment, then nicked a tree, then hit a second tree. Hitting this tree caused my car to flip over and slide down the road about 300 feet, upside down, while spinning in circles. My car then hit another tree on the left side of the road, which caused it to flip back over onto its wheels. My car finally stopped moving by getting caught in a ditch on the left side of the road.

The hood is scraped and tweaked to the point of being un-openable, the windshield is smashed in, the roof is caved in (but thanks to that roll-cage, not completely), both of the doors are scraped and tweaked to the point of being unclosable, all the windows on the driver's-side are broken, one of the windows on the passenger's-side is broken, the passenger's-side floorboard was ripped open and dirt kinda started flowing into my car, and the front passenger's-side tire is completely flattened. The only thing that survived is the rear end (the trunk works, lol).

The first thing that I thought of when the car finally stopped moving was to try and turn it off to avoid an explosion (in case of a fuel leak). I suppose that the steering column got jolted, and the ignition was tweaked, because I couldn't turn the key all the way into the off position. So, I tried popping the hood to disconnect the battery, but the hood wouldn't open. I then tried to find my cell phone, but I couldn't find it do to rolling, and all the dirt inside my car (I found it later in the middle of the road... still works). At this point, I opened the trunk to get a flashlight. I looked around for a second or two, realized I was pretty close to a friends house, and ran there.

Surprisingly, I suffered only a few scratches to the left side of my face (from hitting the glass, from the glass breaking, or from my face hitting the pavement for a partial-second cause the car was on it's side momentarily... I'm not sure, it could have been anything), a sprained left middle finger, and a swollen right thumb. Thusly, I was capable of moving and had no physical impairment. So, I ran about one-quarter mile to my friend's house, used his phone, etc etc... And the rest is history, I guess. CHP came, and the tow truck driver came, and since that jerk didn't stop, it's considered a hit-and-run. Unfortunately, my insurance company has no one to blame this accident on, so I'm getting blamed. I get a point on my record, my insurance rates go up, and I get blue book for my car (about $5200).

Sure, I'm stoked to even be alive still... I really should be seriously injured if not dead. But I'm only 17, and I've never had any really huge losses before. However, it feels SOOO bad to work so hard for something (my SVX), and then have it taken away in one instant by some total ass. Such a loss... What's even worse is that I know I'll probably never have an SVX again just because it's so rare.

Does anyone know how to build a remote control for time so that I can go back and change this? Seriously, I hope that none of you out there ever have to experience the total loss of your car, especially if it's an SVX.

Maybe some day, if I'm ever rich and famous (yeah, right), I can get another SVX. Until then, I am but dream car-less again...