Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Unhappy A tale of two SVXs

As many of you know, I had been replacing the engine in my SVX and I had also bought John's SVX. Well, I finished replacing the engine on Tuesday morning, and drove it to work. Meanwhile Amy had taken John's SVX to Michigan to visit her sister. I wasn't worried because it just came back from the shop and had its rear wheel bearings and radiator replaced and had a general inspection.

An hour later, I had to leave work and drive down to the south side of Chicago to rescue Amy after the original top radiator hose blew almost 2 gallons of coolant all over the Indiana Toll Road.

This is less than 12 hours after Mraz had replaced the radiator and "inspected" the hoses. I took my SVX in to Mraz today to get the outer CV boots replaced and I left the ruptured hose in a ziploc bag on the seat for Mraz to review their "inspection" procedures.

It was interesting taking my car after I had just finished installing the engine a few hours earlier all the way from Sheboygan through Chicago and into Indiana. It was certainly a white knuckled drive, but the new engine performed flawlessly in its 500 mile maiden voyage.

Mraz will inspect John's engine tomorrow for signs of permanent damage from the overheating but it seems to be running OK.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-03-2003, 10:00 AM

That is why I usually replace these hoses at ~ 120k miles when the timing belt and water pump is being done.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
That is why I usually replace these hoses at ~ 120k miles when the timing belt and water pump is being done.

Matt

I had only been with the car for less than a day and I trusted the shop to check the hoses. Had I had the car long enough to check it over, I would have noticed that.

BTW, I have changed the hoses on my first SVX twice already.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 04-03-2003, 10:25 AM

I work in a medical device industry and understand that inspections are only ~80% effective. Add to that the possiblity of a defect being below the surface and not visible during an inspection, and it just does not make $ sense to remove the radiator (disconnect the hoses), and put it back in with old hoses, IMHO. Hindsight is surely 20/20, but I bet your wife will insist from now on that these hoses are changed regularly.

It only took one radiator hose incident for me to make this part of routine maintenance. Having said that, I just remembered that our "new" Outback is due for a hose replacement. I will probably flush out the cooling system and replace the hoses very soon. Don't want to have the wife stuck on the road and have to deal with the complaining, you know.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Rad hoses

the lower rad hose on my Brat has had a bulge since I got her 2 years and 30k ago. I keep meaning to replace it but... Maybe you just talked me into it. Probably should've done it when I put the new engine in.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:41 AM
lightning_8669

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

I had only been with the car for less than a day and I trusted the shop to check the hoses. Had I had the car long enough to check it over, I would have noticed that.

BTW, I have changed the hoses on my first SVX twice already.

Doug
Doug,

Sorry to hear about the stranding of the spouse. I had the hose disconnected from the radiator on that car several times over the last couple of years and no problems. I know that after some time goes by they will deteriorate. I also know that they can crack or buckle when being re-installed. Some stress may have been imparted post inspection while they installed the new radiator. I had that happen to a heater hose on an old GL back in the 80's after I replace the water pump. Had to dig all the way back down to the pump to get to the disrespectful piece of hose sitting in a puddle of green goo. Thus on my next GL I was equipped with a full compliment of hose and clamps when it came time to replace the water pump.

I guess if I'd have kept the car another month it would have been my misfortune. Guess I lucked out. I'll have to find some other, more enjoyable, reason for you to leave work early at some point to make it up to you.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
I'll have to find some other, more enjoyable, reason for you to leave work early at some point to make it up to you.
I thought your niece wasn't interested in me?

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 04-03-2003, 12:58 PM
lightning_8669

Scoundrel!

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

I thought your niece wasn't interested in me?

Doug
I guess I could always wait for her husband to be out of town and get her all sorts of sloppy drunk and then introduce the two of you. At which point you'd be on your own

Maybe we should just stick with stackin' some bricks?