How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2002, 07:55 PM

factory foglights

Has this ever happened to anybody besides me. I'm driving along with my factory headlights on, and somebody in the oncoming lane flashes his headlights. I dont know if this person is trying to signal that there is a cop somewhere ahead,or if this person thinks my fog lights are my high-beams. It really ticks me off sometimes.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:19 PM
Hater

are they level? used to happen to me, but found out the lights really WERE too high and blinding people - and the "levels" on the headlights said they were perfect - DON"T TRUST THEM.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-10-2002, 09:16 PM
AbdominalSnoman

happens to me all the time and I love it because I think that our high beams are especially bright so this gives me an opportunity to flash them back. (only if their car has fog lights on it, which it seems like about 60% do now)

I know I'm a jerk, but still. . .

btw, my lights are not aimed high, but I have seen my car head on from another car and the lights do look bright, but it's not the fogs, but the projector lights. These are not aimed high either, but I think that they look bright because they're so small. I think this is the reason that Volvo used to use the huge big monsterous headlights. They really don't look that bright to me, but put a good amound of light on the road.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:21 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Do what I did.

Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
While we're on the subject... Now, I'm not saying anyone here does this but one of my pet peeves is people that feel they have to drive with their fog lights on in town. They aren't necessary in town/traffic and are just a total annoyance/irritation/hazard to oncoming traffic. Personally, I have very good night vision and auxiliary lighting usage on undivided streets just about blinds me totally.

Aww hell, lets just call a spade a shovel here. If oncoming traffic is flashing you maybe you should grow up and realize that your lights are annoying them and you're probably creating an unsafe condition. If you really need the attention why not wear some Mickey Mouse ears with flashing lights?
Old 12-11-2002, 12:16 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Lightbulb OMG...

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
While we're on the subject... Now, I'm not saying anyone here does this but one of my pet peeves is people that feel they have to drive with their fog lights on in town. They aren't necessary in town/traffic and are just a total annoyance/irritation/hazard to oncoming traffic. Personally, I have very good night vision and auxiliary lighting usage on undivided streets just about blinds me totally.

Aww hell, lets just call a spade a shovel here. If oncoming traffic is flashing you maybe you should grow up and realize that your lights are annoying them and you're probably creating an unsafe condition. If you really need the attention why not wear some Mickey Mouse ears with flashing lights?
Amen!... (I may be getting religion!!!)
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 12-11-2002, 08:30 AM
FifthElement

I'll drive around wherever I please with the fogs on.

Every time a vehicle higher than the SVX comes up behind me, I get blinded regardless of if it's their high or low beams. The SVX is right on the level with most SUVs'/Trucks' lights, as I'm sure you all know. If I have to deal with that 'unsafe driving condition' than they sure as sh*t can deal with mine. They use their headlights to see as I use my foglights to see.

My fiance's father flashes his high beams at EVERY vehicle he sees with fog lights on. It's so pathetic/irritating to ride with him because he flashes his highbeams every three seconds. 3/4 of the time the foglights are the standard under the headlight type, not blinding, yet this crazy SOB is blinding everyone left and right because he feels they shouldnt be driving with fog lights. He's quite an a$$hole driver too - completely rude, cutting in front of other people. He grew up in New York, so go figure.

Quote:

Old 12-11-2002, 08:58 AM
TapperManor

I am happy to see this thread, because this was bugging me the other day.

I often drive with the fog lights on, for one reason.....So I can see!!! My plastic headlight lens are a bit foggy. (are glass available?) So to have my low beams and fogs on still seems dimmer than most. People see double lights coming at them and they flash me, not because they are blinded, but because they think they are highbeams. That's usually when I flash them, to tell them they are an idiot. It is a pain to have to have my trigger finger ready. Has anyone ever tried putting yellow bulbs in for fog lights? Then these idiots will know that they aren't high beams.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:26 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
That's what I said... Put yellow bulbs (PIAA Crystal Ion 55w bulbs will do).

I even put a filter on top of that. Now if they high beam me, I know because mine are not aligned but both are lined up nicely.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-11-2002, 10:07 AM
TapperManor

What do you mean by "a filter"?
Old 12-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I don't waste my time 'flashing' those that drive with them on. However if I see someone that's obviously driving with their hi-beams on I'll give 'em a quick one to let them know, just in case they care. I don't see any reason to get into a flashing war, that would just result in doubling the amount of idiots on the road.

If your lamps are foggy spend a few minutes and clean them up. There are plenty of how-tos on the subject here.

BTW, just because you have a car that sits in a truck's beam pattern is no reason to drive with your fog lamps on - get real. You have the option of using the night-glare adjustment on your mirror. You picked a car low to the ground just as they picked a vehicle that wasn't. Maybe one, both or neither of you feel that the other picked a sensible vehicle, but that really isn't the point, is it? Nobody's being fooled here or on the road.

Last edited by Beav; 12-11-2002 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:42 AM
$VX

I'll respectfully disagree beav. Most of the time, I don't use my fogs... why? I think the SVX looks cooler without them on.... but anyway, some of the newer SUVs that have HIDs are just absolutley blinding.. I cannot for the life of me figure out HOW they are legal to have lights like that. :|

SOMETIMES though, you really do need fogs... when its rainy or crappy out, it really helps, even in town.

- Ca$h
Old 12-11-2002, 11:14 AM
FifthElement

Quote:
BTW, just because you have a car that sits in a truck's beam pattern is no reason to drive with your fog lamps on - get real. You have the option of using the night-glare adjustment on your mirror. You picked a car low to the ground just as they picked a vehicle that wasn't. Maybe one, both or neither of you feel that the other picked a sensible vehicle, but that really isn't the point, is it? Nobody's being fooled here or on the road.
You know what I said wasn't a justifaction, beav, it was merely an illustration of another annoying driving condition that we all as driver just have to put up with.

Anyone who is blinded by oncoming headlights/foglights also has the option of NOT LOOKING AT THE LIGHTS. One of the first thing they teach you at driver's ed is to keep your eyes focused primarily on the bottom right side of the road when lights are coming your way.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:33 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
There was a law on the books here in Utah that the Headlights could be no more than 31" from ground level.....I guess that the SUV makers got that one ignored or removed.... it's a shame...

It would be nice if there were a uniform rule... They also used to check headlight alignment durning safety inspection..... They don't do it now... when it gets foggy here you can see the odd angles that the headlights have been left at. So far Lwin's answer seems the most road friendly.... use the yellow or amber filter or foglamp that let's oncoming drivers know that you are not an Inconsiderate A**Hole.....
Light rant off/
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 12-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
IMHO

The foglights help with visibility during any driving, making a SAFER condition. I honestly don't think people flash because the foggers are too bright, people flash because they think our hi beams are on. I will also say, however, that driving in the city under street lights probably makes them un-necessary since they only illuminate the area that the street lights are already taking care of. And, on a related, but not yet brought up topic, am I the only one that finds the stock fog lights just about worthless in the fog and bad weather (heavy snow)?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me