Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-28-2002, 09:41 PM

People don't like to yield whether there's a sign or not.

When I'm trying to merge onto a busy highway, one thing that really toots my horn is this:
Poeple who don't do courtesy lane changes and try with all their brainless might not to let me merge in.

It's like, what do I need to do? Scrape my car along the concrete barrier? Go flying of the side of the on-ramp? Slam on my breaks and come to a complete stop? And why? Because they're to inconsiderate to let one car get in front of them?

Seriously, there's no excuse for it.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:46 PM

Whenever I get mad about someone elses driving I ask myself, " are you perfect driver?" This usually calms me down.

So Cash, are YOU a perfect driver?

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by AutoTchr
Whenever I get mad about someone elses driving I ask myself, " are you perfect driver?" This usually calms me down.

I'll be the FIRST to admit that I'm not "Perfect," but, I'm a heckuvalot closer than most. I have made some bonehead mistakes, but, never on purpose, and I always (if possible) try to apologize (by facial expression) if I do something wrong.

According to "driving school" I am, what they call, a "parental driver."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-29-2002, 03:51 PM
FifthElement

The best idea seemed to be to lead by example. Someone must start the revolution, and then others will follow.

Hey, how bout those dillholes who find themselves in the wrong lane, so instead of doing what they should be doing in that lane, they just sit there waiting to get in the proper lane, holding up trafic. I had one of those today. I usually do reflect upon my driving habits before I give another driver the business, so I thought to myself "When I mistakingly enter the wrong lane, I don't hold up traffic. I just go with it and then turn around when I can. Why should my mistake screw over the other drivers behind me." So, once I confirmed that this driver was a dillhole, I proceeded to lean on the horn for a good twenty seconds. It was effective.

If you really wanna shine a driver on, use your tongue! I drove up next to a maid service car and gave her a dirty look after being cut off, and what did she do??? She stuck her tongue out at me!!! I was so overrun with confused feelings of entertainment and insult! How can you stay mad at someone who sticks their tongue out at you??
Old 11-30-2002, 08:29 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

We shopped yesterday. Separate cars. When we got home I gave my wife the usual haranguing about driving in the left lane. She says, "But the headlights blind me in the outside mirror." I have told here time and time again how to set up her mirrors to avoid that, but it's not how they taught her in HS, and she wants to be a good driver.

The other peeve I have is: The drive home from E'ville is really boring. All I have to look forward to is the one really fun offramp when I leave 41. I just hate it when Mr. Idiot Coal-Hauler or Mrs. Grannie Caddilac just has to block me so he/she can get there first.

-But-

Ron was right. I get annoyed at oft-encountered doofusness, but there's absolutely no point in getting enraged. Try to be the good example whenever possible. If we get upset at every little thing - well there's just too many little things out there to let them take control of our character.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 11-30-2002, 10:47 AM
alacrity024

Well I am guilty of being both a left-lane driver AND a non-signaler.. However I have reasonable reasons for both offences:

In the left lane, as someone stated earlier, I am nearly always the fastest car on the road (which may or may not be such a good thing), and pulling back and forth between lanes would be unnecessary and unsafe.

As for turn signals, I hate taking my hands off the wheel, and I'll always do a head-check to confirm that I've got space in the next lane. If I'm going to really slide into a tight spot, I'll always signal, but if I've got plenty of room and I'm accelerating past the person I'm getting in front of, I'll just smoothly change lanes.

I was thinking about a way to put turn signal buttons on the steering wheel.. like in the new Ferrari Enzo Ferrari Ferrari Enzo... whatever it's called.. I'd use my turn signals ALL the time if I had thumb buttons..

But let me tell you.. NOTHING in this world winds me up more than cruising at 88mph in the let lane, cresting a hill, and seeing BOTH lanes blocked up because some joker in the left lane thinks that it's a good idea to pass the right lane under cruise control which he has set at about 4 mph over the limit..... There have been times when I've seriously considered hood-mounted rocket launchers..

-Adam
Old 12-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered Abuser

cruising at 88mph?

Isn't that illegal in every state? If you are going significantly over the speed limit, you can't expect every car to jump out of your way. When you go that fast, you are cutting down the reaction times of other drivers. Sure they shouldn't be in that left lane unless they are passing. But to use the passing lane, all you have to do is go one mph faster than the right lane. You have to drive patiently when there is other traffic on the road. And although no one signals 100% of the time, there is absolutely no excuse for not signalling. If you don't signal, you become a target for road rage. My brother got pulled over late at night for not signalling. The cop told him he needs to signal every time or he could be a victim of road rage. He said some people go nuts when they see another driver fail to signal. He never mentioned it was against the law. If you want to drive real fast, you have to choose your spots.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 12-02-2002, 09:01 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Okay, ranting aside, what can be DONE about this problem??!?!?!?!?

How can we make people drive in the right lane and use their signals?

- Ca$h
Send out a mass email/ chain letter forward about a senior citizen in florida who got shot in the face for driving slow in the left lane. Include excerpts from local news and maybe another similar story from a different state. Include the obligatory - "forward this to anyone you care about so they will always signal and stay out of the left lane or they might get shot too"

I actually contemplated doing this last night driving from NY to SC in thanksgiving traffic. 12 hr trip took 16hrs.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:07 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by AutoTchr

DAMN CLOSE. I use my signal like 99.9% of the time; HELL, I even use it in the parking lot when nobody is around. At stop lights, when turning left, I ALWAYS turn into my lane (the closest one towards you); I hate it when people go extra wide and cut off people turning form the opposite direction. I'm considerate (when people are going faster than me I get out of the way), I am in the RIGHTMOST lane UNLESS I'm passing somebody, and I've never been into an accident. Sure, I might make a mistake and not see somebody, but I'm at least using my signal, and no, I never 'snap' lanes. If everyone drove like me (stay in the right lane unless passing, always using turn signals), this world would be a better place.

The ONLY crux I have in driving is that I drive fast. Thats it. About 10-15mph over the limit at all times. HOWEVER, I don't consider that dangerous since I'm paying attention more closely than some stupid b*tch on her cellphone. >:|

- Ca$h
Old 12-02-2002, 12:13 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
Well I am guilty of being both a left-lane driver AND a non-signaler.. However I have reasonable reasons for both offences:
No, you really don't. If you think that moving your hand less than 3" to the turn signal stalk is too much work, you shouldn't be f*cking driving. PERIOD.

And as for driving in the left lane: FINE, drive in the left lane, but if there's nobody IN the right lane get the hell over. The LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING.

It's people like you that think they have an excuse to not use signals that make the US such a crappy place to drive in.

- Ca$h
Old 12-02-2002, 12:14 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby

Send out a mass email/ chain letter forward about a senior citizen in florida who got shot in the face for driving slow in the left lane. Include excerpts from local news and maybe another similar story from a different state. Include the obligatory - "forward this to anyone you care about so they will always signal and stay out of the left lane or they might get shot too"

I actually contemplated doing this last night driving from NY to SC in thanksgiving traffic. 12 hr trip took 16hrs.
THAT, is a really really funny idea. I'll look into it.

- Ca$h
Old 12-02-2002, 01:53 PM
alacrity024

Quote:
If you think that moving your hand less than 3" to the turn signal stalk is too much work, you shouldn't be f*cking driving. PERIOD.
I think if you're ready to tell someone that he shouldn't be "f*cking driving." because he admits to rarely using his turn signal on the highway, you should really step back and reconsider your priorities in life..

-adam
Old 12-02-2002, 01:57 PM
$VX

Okay. I just did. First priority: SURVIVING. And we'd have a LOT fewer accidents if people used their damn signals.

HONESTLY, if someone ACTUALLY considers moving their hands 3-4" too much work to use the signals, they should NOT be on the road.

- Ca$h
Old 12-02-2002, 02:27 PM
alacrity024

for the record, I never EVER said: "I don't signal because I feel like it's too much work to take my hands off the wheel." No. I really didn't say that. Ever. Not even once. Nope.

What I did say (copying-and-pasting from my initial post here) was "I hate taking my hands off the wheel." NOT "Taking my hands off the wheel is too much work for me."

In case you'd like to know, the reason I hate taking my hands off the wheel is because I think it's more dangerous than failing to signal. If I'm weaving through traffic, you can bet your ass that my hands are LOCKED on the wheel at 10 and 2. Now I know what you're going to ask: "What about changing cd's and stuff like that??"

Well, when I take my hands off the wheel to change the track on my cd (when driving aggressively I always turn music OFF) or adjust the climate control or see what the temperature is, I'm not going fast enough that I'm going to need to change lanes. In fact, it is very rare that I have an oppurtunity to be in a position to even have a CHOICE of lanes.. out here in NH our highways are primarily single-lane winding roads which is great if you've got a miata and pocketful of money with noplace to be, but sucks a pair of nuts if you're in a hurry. Can't do a THING to get by traffic unless you feel like getting "Fast and Furious."

If I'm driving on these one-laners (which actually works out to about 90% of the driving time in my life. The only time I get to see more than one lane is when I'm taking a trip to Boston or to visit my girlfriend in college.. and even then, 101 is only two-lanes for a stretch of about 20 miles between manchester and durham. Ask Boone), I'll usually only have one and a half hands on the wheel, but I'll be attentive, and if I'm going to be coming to a near-stop to make a right or left hand turn, I'll signal. Hell, I'll even put my turn signal on if I'm in a turn-only lane at the stoplight (yes, there's only one of them here in NH).

Anyway, my reason for NOT signaling is actually the same as your reason for signaling religiously.. so don't you think that instead of something to argue about, we've actually got something in common?

-adam
Old 12-02-2002, 03:01 PM
$VX

YouYou have no argument. Nobody on the road EXCEPT YOU knows where you are going, and you're going to cause an accident.

IN FACT, I hope you get into a small accident from NOT using your signals so you learn a lesson.

- Ca$h