SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-16-2002, 07:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Mideast Gasoline

Hi fellow SVXers,

Don DiNaro, one of the old time SVXers who lives in northwest PA and is a really terrific photographer, recently sent me an e-mail about not supporting our 'friends' in Saudi Arabia. I am reprinting it below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gas and the Mid East

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis. Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from. Major companies that import Middle Eastern oil (for the period 9/1/00 - 8/31/01).

Shell... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco... 62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Citgo 0 barrels
Sunoco 0 barrels
Conoco 0 barrels
Sinclair 0 barrels
BP/Phillips 0 barrels
Hess 0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and can be easily documented. Refineries located in the U.S. are required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing. They report on a monthly basis.

Keep this list in your car; share it with friends. Stop paying for
terrorism...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 11-16-2002, 08:09 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I know that not all the people in Saudi Arabia support the people that are causing terror in the world. I am saying World. They have better things and better way to spend the money. They want one thing and that's the US dollars. They don't want to make war. If they seriously want to kill us, all they have to do is to stop the gas supply and see what happens.

BTW, BP owns Amaco and if Amaco buys oil from Saudi, doesn't that mean BP buys oil from them?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-16-2002, 08:51 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

If we all stop using oil from the Mid East then there wouldnt be enough petrolium for our gasoline, our clothing, our plastics (medical use, computers, tv, ......), and many many many other things that make our lives so damn easy. Look at the effects of the oil embargos against the US that have already occured. And if you are determined to stop supporting their economy you can also probibly trash alot of your clothing, electronics, and many other things that in so way came from their abundant resource. I have nothing against these nations, I do believe that the terrorism that has occured and is occuring is not these nations fault.
You must look at more than what you hear on the tv, like (the once) communist Russia, to Americans it sounded like theworst government but talk to a Russian about it they (any i have talked to) miss the old ways.
Ok enough of my rambling, and I say I hate history class
Old 11-17-2002, 01:32 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

BTW, BP owns Amaco and if Amaco buys oil from Saudi, doesn't that mean BP buys oil from them?

Lwin
That is correct, bp and Amoco are the same exact company, the franchisee can simply choose the name they desire.

Mike
Old 11-17-2002, 01:43 AM
FifthElement

The middle east is more than just IRAQ.

Do I have a problem giving money to Kuwait for their oil? Nope.

But I see what you're getting at. Admirable, to a point.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:13 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Oil from the mid east

Remember, Timothy McVey was an American as were the two D.C. area shooters. Terrorists come from all walks of life and backgrounds NOT JUST THE MIDDLE EAST. In light of it all though, I've been contimplating having some static stickers made that just say Bin Laden's Bank Acct. then stick 'em right above every SUV gas tank with only 1 person in 'em but then again thats just me.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Hater

this e-mail has been around for years in one form or another, since after Desert Storm, i think. there's not much fact to it. how about if we all don't buy gas on a certain day? remember that one?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-17-2002, 12:59 PM
SVXCAPE

How about if there was a national BUY NOTHING DAY, actually there is and it is NOV 29. Anybody read Adbusters?
Old 11-17-2002, 05:22 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
I agree that we should stop importing so much of our oil from the middle east. At this point we are dependent on this cheap oil flow.

Rather than not buying gasoline refined from imported oil, the best thing that you can do is to support exploration and development of domestic oil opportunities.

Companies like Shell, Texaco, and Exxon-Mobil all try to develop the resources we have available, but their efforts are often shot down by our ultra-liberal governments and "environmentalist" lobbies, especially in states like California (and increasingly in Alaska, Nevada, and others). Our current President tried to develop domestic oil, but once again the powerful pro-dependency lobbies won out.

The United States could be entirely self-sufficient as far as oil production goes, if those in control of our government (and I'm not necessarily talking about the white house here) had any interest in reducing our dependency on foreign oil. They don't.

Last edited by phoenix96; 11-17-2002 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:43 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix96

Companies like Shell, Texaco, and Exxon-Mobil all try to develop the resources we have available, but their efforts are often shot down by our ultra-liberal governments and "environmentalist" lobbies, especially in states like California (and increasingly in Alaska, Nevada, and others). Our current President tried to develop domestic oil, but once again the powerful pro-dependency lobbies won out.
Oh, yeah, lets just go into a beautiful area in Alaska and disturb one of the truly preserved areas in our country, disrupting the habitats of endangered wildlife simply to further our industrial dependency on polluting fossil fuels. That money should be spent on cleaner ways to efficiently produce energy, rather than destroying the habitats of helpless animals for the 'advancement' of our 'industrial culture.'

With the advancements in science and engineering, we have the ability to come up with less harmful ways to do exactly the same things that fossil fuels do.

I also believe the president's move to develop oil facilities in the nature preserve of Alaska was one of the more disgraceful decisions made during the presidency.

Call me an ultra-liberal "environmentalist" if you like, but I for one am proud to not support the destruction of our home. We only have one Earth as far as I'm aware of.

Mike
Old 11-17-2002, 05:58 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Oh, yeah, lets just go into a beautiful area in Alaska and disturb one of the truly preserved areas in our country, disrupting the habitats of endangered wildlife simply to further our industrial dependency on polluting fossil fuels. That money should be spent on cleaner ways to efficiently produce energy, rather than destroying the habitats of helpless animals for the 'advancement' of our 'industrial culture.'

With the advancements in science and engineering, we have the ability to come up with less harmful ways to do exactly the same things that fossil fuels do.

I also believe the president's move to develop oil facilities in the nature preserve of Alaska was one of the more disgraceful decisions made during the presidency.

Call me an ultra-liberal "environmentalist" if you like, but I for one am proud to not support the destruction of our home. We only have one Earth as far as I'm aware of.

Mike
Have you ever been to the areas in Alaska that you speak of? First, there is little wildlife at the proposed drilling location in the first place. Second, drilling wells cause very little impact on local inhabitants. The largest problem would be from the drilling hands throwing food out to the animals. Third, this drilling is going to be done somewhere. You can say "we have the ability to come up with less harmful ways to do exactly the same things that fossil fuels do" but I have yet to see it, and we certainly will never achieve that goal with the attitudes of the common American. I want to see you driving a Honda Insight (if not a GM EV1), Mike, not a Subaru SVX. We need fossil fuels, and we will be using fossil fuels for a long time.
Our dilemma is not about whether or not to use fossil fuels, it is about whether we should increase our dependency on foreign countries which are also becoming increasingly hostile towards us. The more oil we buy from the middle east, the more vulnerable we become. If a major OPEC exporter decides to leverage their power against us and stop oil production, we would have no choice but to submit to their wishes. We don't have a workable alternative to importing foreign oil. We've got our own emergency oil reserves, but they won't support our country for long.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Green1995SVX

That is exactly my point, regarding the cars... isight and such... there are no zero emission vehicles that are practical, and that is the fault of the consumer.

The SVX is a lot better than some of the SUV's people drive for no apperent reason with 69 litre 5 million horsepower engines. Who needs that to take your kid to soccer practice? Get an outback.

Mike
Old 11-17-2002, 07:13 PM
SVXCAPE

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
That is exactly my point, regarding the cars... isight and such... there are no zero emission vehicles that are practical, and that is the fault of the consumer.

The SVX is a lot better than some of the SUV's people drive for no apperent reason with 69 litre 5 million horsepower engines. Who needs that to take your kid to soccer practice? Get an outback.

Mike

TRUE DAT BROTHER! Consumerism: The endless pursuit to own more $hit.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:10 PM

O/T, but...

SVXCAPE - re: your signature block....

I've been doing some thinking about quantum gravity and have decided that time is an illusion, so while it's entirely possible and maybe even probable that everything may be everyone, I don't think it's possible for anything to be surpassed.

Lee
Old 11-18-2002, 04:37 AM
not Larry 3rd

Lee,

What !!!!!

Larry III
PS: Coach, do you want me to lineup under feet or inches cause I am nicknamed Yogi but my given name is Lawrence
.....Lawrence Peter Berra

Last edited by not Larry 3rd; 11-18-2002 at 04:41 AM.